Weather in Australia

Bocagirl1

Hi we are cruising from Sydney on March 27th next year. Please can anyone advise what weather will be like at that time of year in Sydney and then cruising up the East coast stopping in Brisbane and Airlie Beach?

The weather in Sydney will be starting to cool down but still very comfortable in the mid 20s celsius. The further north you go the hotter it will be - up to the high 20s c to low 30s c. However from Sydney up the north coast to Cairns in Qld it can be quite wet at this time of the year - moreso in Queensland than NSW. We, and Qld have been having a fair bit of rain over recent weeks and this is not altogether unusual for this time of the year. Given that, it is a pretty good time to travel as it is unlikely you will get the extremely hot weather. Have a great cruise.:)

Since we're discussing weather, what's it like in September and October in Sydney and Brisbane? Is it about the same in New Zealand? Will we need a light or a heavy jacket? Or none at all?

Thanks so much,

Since we're discussing weather, what's it like in September and October in Sydney and Brisbane? Is it about the same in New Zealand? Will we need a light or a heavy jacket? Or none at all?

Thanks so much,

Weather varies in Sept/Oct in Sydney. Can be cool in Sept (you will need a light jacket late Sept) but also can be quite hot in Oct. We had very hot temps and terrible bushfires in the Blue Moutains in October last year.

Thanks so much,

This is Spring in Australia. Sydney and Brisbane temps are quite different to those in New Zealand and again there is a difference between north and south islands of NZ.

Sydney often has a spurt of very warm September weather up to 30c but more often it is mid 20c. October is slightly warmer - high 20c. Brisbane is a few degrees warmer and slightly more humid but still pleasant.

New Zealand's south island will be markedly cooler in spring and still has snow. Doesn't get warm until January. Check out some of the world maps and you will understand why NZ is cooler.

This is Spring in Australia. Sydney and Brisbane temps are quite different to those in New Zealand and again there is a difference between north and south islands of NZ.

Sydney often has a spurt of very warm September weather up to 30c but more often it is mid 20c. October is slightly warmer - high 20c. Brisbane is a few degrees warmer and slightly more humid but still pleasant.

New Zealand's south island will be markedly cooler in spring and still has snow. Doesn't get warm until January. Check out some of the world maps and you will understand why NZ is cooler.

Thanks so much for your info! I think I'll bring a light jacket and maybe a sweatshirt, just in case :).

Thanks so much for your info! I think I'll bring a light jacket and maybe a sweatshirt, just in case :).

Spot on. Probably take a light weight waterproof jacket with hood, especially if sailing through Milford Sound in NZ. Many skippers put the ship right under a waterfall for the enjoyment of those standing on the bow:D

Just did the NZ cruise out of Sydney. We were blessed with great weather all the way. Not too hot, not too cold, just right for us. It was cold at the sounds though, make sure you bring enough layers to keep warm.

Just did the NZ cruise out of Sydney. We were blessed with great weather all the way. Not too hot, not too cold, just right for us. It was cold at the sounds though, make sure you bring enough layers to keep warm.

Heard you had a great cruise. Wish we were there.

Hugh

Hugh - just want to say that I think you give great information and really good advice. You are an asset to the Aussie boards! :)

Your very kind. There are many on here much wiser than i that i too learn from.

Wish the rain would stay away though - trying to do some paving.

Hope everyone had a good sleep in today

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda