Greatest Alaskan Souvenirs

joeandsue

Please share your favorite Alaskan souvenir ? I would love to get an idea before I get there. We will also be inland for several days in addition to the cruise ports.

Thanks

I am going to buy a 'Ulu" knife for myself and a couple of good friends who love cooking.

Not sure of what else as yet...but i am sure when i see 'it', i will know LOL

Cheers from "Down Under"

sharon

There's a store on Creek Street in Ketchikan that sells small totem poles. I wanted one the first time we went to Alaska, but we decided to wait to see if we found something better. The price kept getting higher and higher as we went further north. I didn't get my totem pole on that trip. We did make it back last year so I knew what I wanted. It's sitting on the mantle now.

I also like my Made in Alaska Ulu Knife and Bowl set and my cheap bear claw salad forks. I don't use the salad forks, but they were only 99 cents and they make me smile when I open my utensil drawer.

My photo album and my memories are the best though. Enjoy your trip.

I bought a beautiful pewter plate with a Native Alaskan Tinglit design on it, whales. Found it in Ketchikan in an art store. Perfect for serving crackers and such on. I also have a Ulu knife set bought on the ship. Prices same as on land. Use it as well.

My oldest bought a beautiful knife in Sitka with a scrimshaw design on the handle of a moose (had it shipped back as it was very valuable and didn't want to deal with keeping it in checked luggage). My niece bought a beautiful set of Russian nesting dolls in Sitka as well- remember this is where the US took control of Alaska from Russia and there is a large Russian influence here still.

My sister bought several nice pieces of Native Tinglit art as well, also shipped home. Looks wonderful on her walls.

I also bought a nice, inexpensive (maybe $15) fleece in Sitka that I wear all the time.

All depends upon how much you want to spend. They can be trinkets or fine art and arts and crafts. I generally buy art photographs and good quality native crafts but none of this stuff is cheap. I also buy stuff where the provenance is documented.

If you buy the trinket level souvenirs, make sure that you buy stuff that is made in AK, not in China. AK made stuff is clearly labeled.

DON

• Like 1

Ulu knives and bowl sets can even be purchased right on the ship- at least on HAL. I bought mine on the ship as they were Alaska made and the same price. We saw them at many of the stores and at many price levels...you can find some pretty pricey ones with bone and/or antler handles.

I love mine and use it for all sorts of veggie chopping and it trims meats very well.

I also have an Ulu. Be aware that they must be checked in your luggage when flying. So those of you only doing carryon will either have to skip buying one, or ship it home.

My favorite though is the $20 fleece. Wear it all winter long. Love it every time I put it on.

Depend on what you personally like/want. My first trip I bought an Alaskan made Eskimo doll and a crystal thimble with a tiny gold nugget on the top of it. I collect dolls and thimbles.

Second trip we went to the Yukon and I bought a gold ring with Mammoth ivory stone and a snow-globe with a moose, bear, eagle, wolf & caribou in it (just caught my eye as something different with all the animals we saw on our trip).

There are numerous items, I'm sure you will have no problem finding something to buy. As another poster stated, be sure to look for the Alaska Made motif. There should be a tag

http://www.commerce.state.ak.us/ded/dev/mia/pub/MIAapplication.pdf

but not always, I watched the man in the small jewelry shop in Dawson City make my ring.

Edited by agabbymama

Thanks everyone, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had already been thinking about the ulu knifes and on their web site they ship free, I think our grown sons would like this. I may just order before I leave, I'm not really wanting a lot of extra luggage weight.

Has anyone purchased any furs, a real bear tooth ? it seems I always find lots for our grandaughter but our grandsons could care less about a shirt I'm hoping to find cool native items.

Thanks again !

By far the best place to purchase authentic craft items is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Not only are the items the real deal (instead of some touristy crud, mass-produced in Asia) but the hospital itself is well worth a visit - without a doubt the most remarkable collection of Native Alaskan art there is. Just wander the halls for a little while and you'll see what I mean. Plus, of course, you're doing a good deed with your purchases.

Thanks everyone, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I had already been thinking about the ulu knifes and on their web site they ship free, I think our grown sons would like this. I may just order before I leave, I'm not really wanting a lot of extra luggage weight.

Has anyone purchased any furs, a real bear tooth ? it seems I always find lots for our grandaughter but our grandsons could care less about a shirt I'm hoping to find cool native items.

Thanks again !

Land tour in '96, purchased a fur seal headband in Juneau.... but it was end of season.

Thanks again !

What a great idea! Purchasing ulu knives online and having them shipped to avoid making luggage heavier. I've been concerned about that, thinking I won't be bringing much back.

Can you tell me which website you found them on, that ships free?

Thank you!

I brought back the following:

Several Ulu from Anchorage

Jewelry made by an Alaskan artist

Fabric kit for pillow from Denali

Yarn and more Yarn from Sea Side Yarns in Juneau... hand dyed and spun in Alaska

Handcrafted glacier soaps from Glacier Smoothies in Juneau

Children's books about Alaska written by Alaskan authors

Christmas ornaments made by Alaskan artists

And 2000 pictures and just as many memories!

I am going to buy a 'Ulu" knife for myself and a couple of good friends who love cooking.

Not sure of what else as yet...but i am sure when i see 'it', i will know LOL

Cheers from "Down Under"

sharon

+1. Ulu knife is quite unique in irs design. Love mine

My husband and I collect souvenir wine glasses. We look for wine glasses with the name of the country or city we are visiting on them. Some are gorgeous, some are tacky, but we have a great time rehashing our trips when we have a glass of wine. We like to say "Where do you want to go tonight?" when picking out the evening's glasses :)

So....my question is: has anyone seen souvenir wine glasses in Alaska? If so, which port did you see them in and which shop (if you can remember)?

Thanks!!

My husband and I collect souvenir wine glasses. We look for wine glasses with the name of the country or city we are visiting on them. Some are gorgeous, some are tacky, but we have a great time rehashing our trips when we have a glass of wine. We like to say "Where do you want to go tonight?" when picking out the evening's glasses :)

So....my question is: has anyone seen souvenir wine glasses in Alaska? If so, which port did you see them in and which shop (if you can remember)?

Thanks!!

Oh no....you may have just caused me to add to our collecting! We already buy a Christmas tree ornament, a cross, and a Starbucks mug (if available). But I love the idea of the wine glass and rehashing the trip over a glass of wine. I love the Starbucks mugs, but coffee is usually in the morning getting ready for work and not the time to rehash a trip!

Thanks!!

I saw them at gift shops in several ports last year, but don't remember specifically which ones.

We brought back:

*several t-shirts and sweatshirts

*Christmas ornaments from each city and province we visited (the Canadian mountie is one of my favorites!)

*small totem pole for the mantle

*ulu

*sterling silver inukshuk

*whale watercolor painting

*decorative bowl

Edited by geekypenguin
submitted too soon

Oh no....you may have just caused me to add to our collecting! We already buy a Christmas tree ornament, a cross, and a Starbucks mug (if available). But I love the idea of the wine glass and rehashing the trip over a glass of wine. I love the Starbucks mugs, but coffee is usually in the morning getting ready for work and not the time to rehash a trip!

LOL, sorry tulsacubfan!! We used to do the Christmas ornaments too, but we'd need another tree to hold more, so stopped doing the ornaments. I don't drink coffee, so mugs would be meaningless, but you've got me curious about the crosses. That sounds very neat! Are they hard to find?

I saw them at gift shops in several ports last year, but don't remember specifically which ones.

We brought back:

*several t-shirts and sweatshirts

*Christmas ornaments from each city and province we visited (the Canadian mountie is one of my favorites!)

*small totem pole for the mantle

*ulu

*sterling silver inukshuk

*whale watercolor painting

*decorative bowl

That's great news, geekypenguin! We've traveled places where we could find NONE, so I'm glad to hear they are available somewhere in Alaska ports :)

Thank you!