Greatest Alaskan Souvenirs

joeandsue

My husband and I collect souvenir wine glasses. We look for wine glasses with the name of the country or city we are visiting on them. Some are gorgeous, some are tacky, but we have a great time rehashing our trips when we have a glass of wine. We like to say "Where do you want to go tonight?" when picking out the evening's glasses :)

So....my question is: has anyone seen souvenir wine glasses in Alaska? If so, which port did you see them in and which shop (if you can remember)?

Thanks!!

You might want to check out the wine glasses on this site:

http://www.akwildernessetchings.com/

You could email them and ask what stores carries their products if you like what you see on their site.

JoeandSue: Earlier post you had asked about furs and bear teeth. Don't know anything about bear teeth, but one of the top furriers in Anchorage is David Green (Master Furrier). They have a wide selection and are top quality..and made in AK. Also, you can visit the Ulu factory while in Anchorage and arrange for them to send any purchases home.

Of course, one of the most unique souveniers (besides baleen), is an oosik (look it up!). Noticed last year they were quite pricy, but, again, quite unique and you'd probably be the only one on your block/city/county to own one :D!

There are so many wonderful things to get in Alaska, just get whatever catches your eye and is meaningful to you....as long as it has the Made in Alaska symbol!

This post has me even more excited for my trip next month!!

Are Ulu knives available all over Alaska? We won't be traveling to Anchorage.

I'm taking notes...

Ulu knives are like cutlery. You can buy a cheap useless knife for $2.00 which will hold it's edge for about 5 minutes, a fine knife with a great handle and great steel that will be sharp for a long time at great cost, and almost anything in between.

You need to decide if you are buying the Ulu just as a souvenir or as a knife that you will actually use in your kitchen and buy accordingly. If the latter, you need to make sure that the knife is comfortable to hold. We bought one that my wife liked with a really nice handle for maybe $70. We also spent about $30 of a nice bowl. She uses it all the time..

DON

The usual shirts & some hematite jewelry-inexpensive, but different. My pictures are my favorite keepsakes! For a downright CHEAP souvenir that you can use daily, I try to pick up a reusable shopping bag at a local grocery store. They take up almost no room in luggage, come in handy while traveling, and can be used to carry groceries once you get home. I have them from stores from Alaska to Florida & they have been conversation starters with several cashiers here in the lower 48! I guess I just like being reminded of the places I've traveled while doing something as mundane as grocery shopping!

I collect local reusable grocery store shopping bags too (I thought I was the only one). Do you remember where you got your shopping bag? We'll be stopping in Ketchikan, Icy Straight, Juneau, and Skagway as well as a land tour afterward that includes Talkeetna, Denali, and Anchorage. We will not have a car during our trip.

They are EVERWHERE. They seem to be a featured item of nearly every gift shop. There are varying qualities from cheap Chinese knock offs (I wouldn't recommend) to very expensive and ornate sets made by Alaskans. I bought one in the middle (made in Alaska); cost about $35 or $40 with my discount coupon which you will find all over the place.

Thanks! I want to go middle of the road too. I will definitely look for all products made in Alaska.

Ulu knives are like cutlery. You can buy a cheap useless knife for $2.00 which will hold it's edge for about 5 minutes, a fine knife with a great handle and great steel that will be sharp for a long time at great cost, and almost anything in between.

You need to decide if you are buying the Ulu just as a souvenir or as a knife that you will actually use in your kitchen and buy accordingly. If the latter, you need to make sure that the knife is comfortable to hold. We bought one that my wife liked with a really nice handle for maybe $70. We also spent about $30 of a nice bowl. She uses it all the time..

DON

Good to know. I plan on using it because I love to cook. I will hold a few before purchasing. Thanks!

You might want to check out the wine glasses on this site:

http://www.akwildernessetchings.com/

You could email them and ask what stores carries their products if you like what you see on their site.

Beachdreaming - That is EXACTLY what we have in mind! Thank you so much for that link, I will be emailing them today to find out if they sell in ports we are visiting.

I can already taste how wonderful our evening wine will taste in one of these :) In fact, we usually can't wait until we get home and use the glasses in our stateroom on the balcony as soon as we wash them up. THANK YOU for that link! :D

Beachdreaming - That is EXACTLY what we have in mind! Thank you so much for that link, I will be emailing them today to find out if they sell in ports we are visiting.

I can already taste how wonderful our evening wine will taste in one of these :) In fact, we usually can't wait until we get home and use the glasses in our stateroom on the balcony as soon as we wash them up. THANK YOU for that link! :D

I thought they looked wonderful! Please post back here what you find out about stores. Thanks!

perhaps you could buy something you like and have them shipped too you. that would save having too worry about getting them home from Alaska? they sound wonderful.

By far the best place to purchase authentic craft items is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Not only are the items the real deal (instead of some touristy crud, mass-produced in Asia) but the hospital itself is well worth a visit - without a doubt the most remarkable collection of Native Alaskan art there is. Just wander the halls for a little while and you'll see what I mean. Plus, of course, you're doing a good deed with your purchases.

ANMC has some beautiful things in their gift shop.

Edited by aknursemom
changed policy

JoeandSue: Earlier post you had asked about furs and bear teeth. Don't know anything about bear teeth, but one of the top furriers in Anchorage is David Green (Master Furrier). They have a wide selection and are top quality..and made in AK. Also, you can visit the Ulu factory while in Anchorage and arrange for them to send any purchases home.

Of course, one of the most unique souveniers (besides baleen), is an oosik (look it up!). Noticed last year they were quite pricy, but, again, quite unique and you'd probably be the only one on your block/city/county to own one :D!

There are so many wonderful things to get in Alaska, just get whatever catches your eye and is meaningful to you....as long as it has the Made in Alaska symbol!

I am so excited about all the responses, I had to look up and see what baleen and oosik was. Just the unique kind of Alaskan items I was hoping to find. I think a stop in at David Green's will be one of our highlight. We have already planned to stop in at the Ulu factory.

If you get an ulu knife, make sure you spend an extra $8 or so and buy the sharpener. Very handy, as I use that knife a lot.

Thank you for the tip, marysb. I've been thinking of buying several ulu knives as gifts. I would have never thought to pick up a sharpener for them.

I try to pick up a reusable shopping bag at a local grocery store. They take up almost no room in luggage, come in handy while traveling, and can be used to carry groceries once you get home. I have them from stores from Alaska to Florida & they have been conversation starters with several cashiers here in the lower 48! I guess I just like being reminded of the places I've traveled while doing something as mundane as grocery shopping!

I agree!!! I love having the memories of my trips when i go grocery shopping. Altho my collecting started accidently. I had things wrapped in the bags for packing reasons. After I had been home for a few months, my husband tried to throw them away (eegads). "But that's the one from the *olympics*!!!" He still doesn't get it, but i LOVE them.

I used to collect tshirts, but found that i would stop wearing them so i wouldn't wear them out. Now i buy pendants wherever I go and i wear them all the time.

Thanks for reminding me to grab a bag :)

I brought back the following:

Several Ulu from Anchorage

Jewelry made by an Alaskan artist

Fabric kit for pillow from Denali

Yarn and more Yarn from Sea Side Yarns in Juneau... hand dyed and spun in Alaska

Handcrafted glacier soaps from Glacier Smoothies in Juneau

Children's books about Alaska written by Alaskan authors

Christmas ornaments made by Alaskan artists

And 2000 pictures and just as many memories!

Ooh, I want Alaskan yarn! I will definitely look up that shop.

And jewelry!

I suppose I should bring something home for the kids too. :o

Couple of years ago we got everyone on our list a poopng moose/bear key chain. When you squeeze the moose/bear "poop" starts to come out. I know it is low class, but when we retrun many of my friends ask me to get them some more.

My pictures are the best thing I brought home!

My favorite bought item was a large Jade Inuksuk figurine I purchased in Ketchikan. It's very cool and every time I see it on my desk my mind starts wandering to my trip.

Alaska is the trip of a lifetime for me. I simply can't imagine anything ever topping that experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Couple of years ago we got everyone on our list a poopng moose/bear key chain. When you squeeze the moose/bear "poop" starts to come out. I know it is low class, but when we retrun many of my friends ask me to get them some more.

What a hilarious gift! Is this something that's commonly found in stores there or did you go to a particular shop? A friend from work is lending us his binoculars for our cruise next month and this kind of thing would be perfect to bring home for him (he's quite the joker and an avid moose hunter too!)

Has anyone purchased the soap from Glacier Smoothies? The testimonials all have great things to say and I wonder if any CC folks have any input. Thought it might be a little piece of Alaska (glacier silt) to bring home for others. Are there are "knock offs" of this idea even though they have a patent? Appreciate any input.

Has anyone purchased the soap from Glacier Smoothies? The testimonials all have great things to say and I wonder if any CC folks have any input. Thought it might be a little piece of Alaska (glacier silt) to bring home for others. Are there are "knock offs" of this idea even though they have a patent? Appreciate any input.

Great question! I was wondering about their soaps too.

I buy some every year! They have some fresh, clean scents that I really like, and I tend to be sensitive to a lot of scents. Using it reminds me of my trips to Alaska.

I like their soap a lot. I don't know if there are knockoffs because I bought from their shop. The service was great and my sensitive skin has no issues with the soap.

I bought a few for gifts (and a couple for myself) -- everyone loves them.

Really great scents!