10:55 am flight from YVR. Is it too risky ?

uvasag

My NCL Sun returns back to YVR at 8:00 am. If I book a flight out of YVR at 10:55 am is it too risky ?

We had an 11:20AM flight out of YVR to Seattle for a 1PM flight to NY. We made both with time to spare.

We used Princess' transport to the airport, found our bags in the terminal, and then went through US Customs in YVR. Was a very effective procedure.

General thinking is Noon as being earliest. That being said if you use the search button for this topic you will get all kinds of opinions. People do make earlier flts. We locals just like to be conservative.

If something does delay the ship in arrival or unloading you are on your own unfortunately .

Yup, Search and you'll find many variations on this question.

What YOU have to decide is whether the guaranteed additional $ cost for the later flight outweighs the risk of you missing your 10:55am and having to buy a rack-rate walk up ticket on the later flight anyway (assuming there is even one to be had...) and of course your stress!

If nothing goes wrong, you self-disembark ASAP and hightail it to the airport by cab or Skytrain, you'll be at YVR before 9am with plenty of time to do security, US customs and make it to to the gate. If your ship is delayed even a little, the customs staff are new, a lot of other people are trying to do the same, another ship (or two) are also disembarking at the same time, there's a problem with transit, cabbies are protesting Uber here at the time, etc. etc. All *small* risks, but they do add up...

NB: if this is a 2015 cruise you're looking at an additional factor - Canada Place will be busier due to shutting down Ballantyne. A lot of NCL cruises used the latter pier, and while it's further away you were never fighting with other shiploads of cruisers for space in the customs & immigration queues, transportation etc.

There is a later flight but more money :(

How much more? How much later? What will it cost you when you miss your flight?

Just my opinion but I would never book so early. I prefer to sit at the airport and read for a few hours or grab lunch instead of worrying if I will make it.

DON

We had an 11:20AM flight out of YVR to Seattle for a 1PM flight to NY. We made both with time to spare.

We used Princess' transport to the airport, found our bags in the terminal, and then went through US Customs in YVR. Was a very effective procedure.

That timeframe would best be for using self disembarkation only and then the Canada Line. Means you must be able to move with no mobility limitations and able to find your way around.

I always allow plenty of time at YVR, as I have been stuck in significant time consuming lines. But I have not flown out of here this year.

The new passport scanning kiosks at YVR have reduced lines quite dramatically. If you self disembark, grab a cab, and get ahead of the rush, then you should make a 1055 flight. However, you are on the cusp....one hiccup along the way and you will be waiting for another flight.

That timeframe would best be for using self disembarkation only and then the Canada Line. Means you must be able to move with no mobility limitations and able to find your way around.

I always allow plenty of time at YVR, as I have been stuck in significant time consuming lines. But I have not flown out of here this year.

Princess actually arranged our debarkation, took our bags the night before and got them to the terminal separately from our transport bus, gave us forms to expedite US Customs at YVR and had us at the terminal before 9:00AM. We did fly first class, but at that time there was not a significant difference in the ticketing lines. Even though I draw extra attention at security because of a metal hip implant, I believe we were waiting at our gate by 9:45AM. I was quite impressed with Princess' effectiveness in moving pax about throughout the entire land cruise experience.

I would be paying $100 more per tix so for a family of 4 it would be $400 more. I was thinking of taking the Canada line. I and my husband are in our

40s and my boys will be 8 and 10. No mobility issues but if things that are not in our control delay us we will be in for a nightmare. Still thinking but thank you for the word of caution and personal experiences as well. It helps me decide.

I would not book that flight time if I were you. Just too tight of a time frame. Is it possible to spend a night in Vancouver and do a little touring there instead. Yes it will cost you a bit more, however, you could keep it under the $400.00 that you would pay for airfare. Vancouver is a very beautiful city.

Just a thought you'd might like to consider. That way maybe you could fly out a day later and save even more money.

If everything is on time and no lines I think you'll be fine.

You preclear US Customs at Vancouver Airport. One time my husband got pulled for secondary screening. I was given the choice of going with him or going to the gate. I stayed with him. We went to another room and sat down for 30 or 40 minutes during which a Homeland Security background check was going on the computers. They called us up and said enjoy your trip and take that door to your gate.

So you never know when you're going to be the lucky number for secondary screening and that can hold you up a bit. Fortunately we'd arrived with plenty of time to spare - flying to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise the next day.

I would not book that flight time if I were you. Just too tight of a time frame. Is it possible to spend a night in Vancouver and do a little touring there instead. Yes it will cost you a bit more, however, you could keep it under the $400.00 that you would pay for airfare. Vancouver is a very beautiful city.

Just a thought you'd might like to consider. That way maybe you could fly out a day later and save even more money.

I like the idea of staying overnight at Vancouver. It would definitely be less than $400. I could use my hotel points for a free night too. Thank you :)

Princess actually arranged our debarkation, took our bags the night before and got them to the terminal separately from our transport bus, gave us forms to expedite US Customs at YVR and had us at the terminal before 9:00AM. We did fly first class, but at that time there was not a significant difference in the ticketing lines. Even though I draw extra attention at security because of a metal hip implant, I believe we were waiting at our gate by 9:45AM. I was quite impressed with Princess' effectiveness in moving pax about throughout the entire land cruise experience.

And what time does Princess state the flights HAVE to be after, to use this service?

Call NCL and ask. See if you can get as good a deal on airfare through them. You will get priority disembarkation for earlier flights, and probably expedited customs. The automated systems at YVR are good IF you are familiar with them. If you aren't ask for assistance before using them.

if you can get the same flight at the same price for the next day and swing a night using points, I'd highly recommend it. Vancouver is a beautiful city and it was just nicer to walk off the cruise ship knowing you weren't headed to the airport yet. Takes the sting out of debarkation :)

And what time does Princess state the flights HAVE to be after, to use this service?

We double checked with Princess several times prior because Delta had changed our flight numbers and times and Princess each time we checked said it was fine, no problem.

And it wasn't. Evidently 11:20AM was well within their time bracket.

Edited by evandbob

The Princess website recommends 12 noon but I booked a 11:40AM departure time on Delta - in order to get home to Tampa the same day.

It will be a Saturday morning and the Noordam will also be disembarking passengers so I plan to carry off my bag and taxi to the airport.

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I ended up booking a flight out of Seattle instead. The air fare was cheaper and taxes were cheaper too. I think something to do with domestic vs international flights. Appreciate everybody's input and help.