Checking In With Limited Mobility - Charleston

Alicomp

My friend/cruise cabin-mate will have recently had knee surgery when we cruise out of Charleston in October. Will she be able to avoid standing in line to check-in/board the ship? If so, what does she need to do so people don't think she's cutting in line?

Thank you. Alice

Arrive later than the crowds - mid afternoon there will be no lines and your friend can go right to the room.

Everything is a choice. Decide which is more important. If the decision is getting on the ship with the crowds and lines then you wait like everyone else, probably have to wait for a wheel chair if you go that route. If the priority truly is avoiding standing, go later.

I went the day after knee surgery and had no problem as I got to the pier around 2:00.

The best advice I can give - when muster starts, ask one of the staff where the disabled meeting area is. You will meet in an area where you can sit. They usually let this group out beforeveveryone else so they can get to the elevators.

If you will be needing a power chair or scooter, then I recommend renting on from Herbert's Mobility there in Charleston. They will deliver and pick up chair directly to/from the ship. My dad used one from them last year aboard the Fantasy and said that he would never have been able to cruise without it! Their number is (843) 571-1515. VERY easy to deal with and beyond friendly. They have a scooter that will fit through the doors of a handicap cabin. The chair cannot sit outside of the cabin, according to Carnival. So make sure that you get a handicap cabin if renting a scooter.

As for checking in, dad had to wait in line just like everyone else, but was taken aboard the ship by a Carnival employee via a different route than other passengers. Make sure that he/she has their boarding pass with them. My wife had my dad's and we had to go find her before they could bring dad aboard.

Bill

I think you need to let Carnival know ahead of time and someone will provide a wheelchair. There are only so many available and if everyone shows up at the same time, he may have to wait.

If parking, you'll be shuttled right to the pier building. If using some other transportation, you'll have to drop your bags, then take the other shuttle from that area over to the building. Either way, he'll have to be able to climb the few steps into the shuttle bus.

I don't know what will happen once inside the building. After check-in, you have to go up a flight of stairs, but there is an elevator. Then, it depends on where they're boarding - I've entered down on Deck 1 and I've also entered at the Lobby, which entails a long climb up the gangway.

Anyway, let Carnival know and see what they can help you with. Wouldn't hurt to also ask in the All Things Fantasy thread to see if anyone who follows that thread may have been in your situation.

Another hint-if you have a handicap sticker for your car, parking is free at the Charleston port.

I don't know about Charleston, but here in Florida the sticker alone does not work. The port parking was just a sea of handicap stickers before they changed that. The vehicle must have equipment attached to the outside of the vehicle.

when i took my mother on the fantasy. i called carnival and they noted our account that she would need special assitance. this helped all cruise long. since her acct was noted every time we went to atd they would sit her close to the door. not far to walk. also on embarkation they assited her to lido deck. they brought her onboard via the gangway on deck 3. they were very helpful all they way around.

I think you should rent a push w/c to get around bc the ship is a lot of walking.....we got to the docks around 11:20 on the ship by 11:40 bc our friends went thru regular line and we went thru plantium line and we waited on them....once thru the line bc I have a ankle brace one of the Carnival employees ask me did I need help and I said no but Thank you ....I was so sorry for saying no bc it was straight up hill to get on the ship bc you board on deck 5

They don't issue disabled person placards for knee surgeries.

They do here in Kentucky! My wife had a knee replacement and was able to get a temporary handicap placard, which was good for 6 months. We used it in Charleston for our cruise, about 2 months after her surgery. And, yes, free parking with handicap placard.

:cool: Bill

I don't know about Charleston, but here in Florida the sticker alone does not work. The port parking was just a sea of handicap stickers before they changed that. The vehicle must have equipment attached to the outside of the vehicle.

Well that's just nuts. Can you not be disabled but not have any equipment attached to your vehicle? Strange. At the port in Charleston you just need your sticker/placard and the person to whom it was issued must be travelling.

Well that's just nuts. Can you not be disabled but not have any equipment attached to your vehicle? Strange. At the port in Charleston you just need your sticker/placard and the person to whom it was issued must be travelling.

You can use Handicap parking, but it's not free unless there's equipment.

Charleston has free parking period for handicap cruisers. You do not have to have equipment attached to the vehicle, just to get free parking...

I would talk with the doctor doing the surgery. Explain that you are going on a cruise and what all that will entail. Ask if there is any way to get a temporary handicap placard issued, just so that you can get through the trip. I have one for my back and stomach pain, due to multiple surgeries. I hate the looks, as I am only 32 but it definitely helps not having to stand in lines forever... Also, I would definitely check to see if you can get FTTF because that was a life saver for me..

Been through the boarding process in Charleston with mobility issues. Parking was free because I had a placard. There is a special area of the warehouse for handicap parking. Some of the shuttle buses have a lift so you won't have to climb the steps to get on the bus. Once over to terminal, there are wheelchairs available right inside the terminal door. There will be Carnival employees there available to help you. They will push you through the security check then wheel you up to a special check-in window. After you have checked-in, they'll wheel you around and you'll board on Deck 1. The Carnival employee will then take you to where you want on the ship. He/she will drop you off and you are then on your own. If you need to rent a wheelchair while on board, you will need to go to the GSD as soon as you board and rent one. When you disembark, there will be a waiting area in the atrium for you. Again, wheelchairs will be available to help you get off the ship and through the terminal.