Confused by TfL directions to Hampton Court Palace

Pet Nit Noy

Next year, we'll be staying in a hotel on Charles Street (Mayfair). The closest underground station is Green Park served by the Piccadilly, Victoria, and Jubliee lines. We're trying to figure out our best route to Hampton Court Palace. I'm defining "best" to mean the best intersection of convenience and efficiency. I'm not looking for the cheapest method. We're willing to use a taxi to simply life somewhat -- not to the extent of taking a taxi to the palace -- but perhaps to go directly to the best rail station.

I went to the TfL web site and plugged in my staring destination (35 Charles Street which TfL is calling Westminster rather than Mayfair) and got the following suggestions:

Option one: 59 minutes

11 mins walking -- Walk to St James's Park

1 min tube -- Circle line or District line to Victoria Underground Station

2 mins tube -- Victoria line to Vauxhall Underground Station

9 mins walking -- Walk to Vauxhall (London), Vauxhall Rail Station

32 mins train -- South West Trains to Hampton Court Rail Station

Option two: 55 minutes

11 mins walking -- Walk to St James's Park

1 min tube -- District line or Circle line to Westminster Underground Station

1 min tube -- Jubilee line to Waterloo Underground Station

17 mins national-rail -- South West Trains to Surbiton Rail Station

7 mins national-rail -- South West Trains to Hampton Court Rail Station

Option three: 1 hr 20 minutes

28 mins walking -- Walk to Vauxhall (London), Vauxhall Rail Station

24 mins national-rail -- South West Trains to Kingston Rail Station

10 mins bus -- 411 bus to Hampton Court Station

No indication what happens once we arrive at Hampton Court Rail Station.

I have some specific questions about each route (e.g. Why doesn't Option one use the Green Park underground station instead of St James Park, since we'd already be on the Victoria line?) However, rather than having people guess TfL's reasoning, I'll return to my opening question: What is the best way to get to Hampton Court Palace?

Would your answer matter on a week day VS a Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I do find those directions strange. I have to say, in general, I really don't like the TFL site since they changed it all.

Personally, I like Google Maps for transport directions - there's a 'Public Transport' button that gives pretty reliable directions. It has you going from Green Park to Vauxhall by tube, then train from Vauxhall straight to Hampton Court rail station. I do remember when we went (years ago now) that you could see the palace from the station, so an easy walk.

I have some specific questions about each route (e.g. Why doesn't Option one use the Green Park underground station instead of St James Park, since we'd already be on the Victoria line?)
This is because if you use 35 Charles Street, the TfL engine is starting you off in the wrong place. (You'll see this if you drill down to the maps in the details sections.) Use the hotel's postcode of W1J 5EB instead, and you'll get the instructions that you were thinking you would get - walk to Green Park tube, Victoria Line to Vauxhall, change there to South West Trains.

Don't ya just love automated directions.:D

Though I've seen a whole lot worse than TfL.

Nearest underground station to the hotel is Green Park, a five-minute walk.

Just two stops on the Victoria line (direction of Brixton) to Vauxhall.

The rail station is across one small road from the tube (and bus) station - literally one minute or less. The platforms are above street level.

Direct trains to Hampton Court are half-hourly, cost £8.70 return, journey time 30 mins.

And Hampton Court is just across the river from Hampton Court station, same side of the road. Turn right out of the station, cross the river bridge & you're there.

The only likely difference re day-of-the-week is likely to be reduced frequency on a sunday.

JB :)

This is because if you use 35 Charles Street, the TfL engine is starting you off in the wrong place. (You'll see this if you drill down to the maps in the details sections.)

I'm not sure I went to the precise web page you're recommending, but using the Maps tab I put in 35 Charles Street, Mayfair, London. (Just out of curiosity, I didn't use a postal code) This time, I pulled up two pages of options, the first of which was 35 Charles Street, Mayfair, W1J 5EB, the correct address.

Of course, this raises several questions (all rhetorical!):

Using the exact same information -- no postal code -- why are the results accurate when using the search engine on the Maps page but inaccurate when using the journey planner page?

Since there's such a close match between option 1 and the address I typed in using the maps page, why did the search engine keep offering increasingly off the wall answers such as London Bridge Dungeon or Charles Darwin School Jail Lane?

While I've grown to appreciate the need for precision in a London address, this search engine takes obtuseness to a whole new level.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Don't ya just love automated directions.:D

Though I've seen a whole lot worse than TfL.

Nearest underground station to the hotel is Green Park... And Hampton Court is just across the river from Hampton Court station, same side of the road. Turn right out of the station, cross the river bridge & you're there.

The only likely difference re day-of-the-week is likely to be reduced frequency on a sunday. :)

Thanks to JB, Twickenham, and Globaliser for such useful information and reassurance.

All I remember of our last visit to Hampton Court Palace, about 40 years ago, is the linen fold carved wood panels. I've long believed when we can't remember a place we've once visited it's time to go back.

Thanks to JB, Twickenham, and Globaliser for such useful information and reassurance.

All I remember of our last visit to Hampton Court Palace, about 40 years ago, is the linen fold carved wood panels. I've long believed when we can't remember a place we've once visited it's time to go back.

How about the river cruise from Westminster Bridge to Hampton Court?

It will take a lot longer than the routes described.

Agreed. The river boats stopped service for the season at the end of October, and the time tables have disappeared from the web site, so I can't share specifics. However, I ruled out this option a while ago. A river trip back from Kew Gardens (and probably palace) on a different day is still in the running, but Hampton Court is considerably further away so the river route holds little appeal.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm not sure I went to the precise web page you're recommending ...
Use the Journey Planner and put in 35 Charles Street as your starting point and Hampton Court Palace as your end point. It will ask for further details for both; select 35 Charles Street, Westminster for the start and Richmond upon Thames, Hampton Court Palace as the end.

It will give you a number of options. For one of them that has a View Details button, click that. You'll see that the starting point is "Westminster (London), Chadwick Street Recreation Centre, Westminster". Click the "View on a map" link. You'll see in the map that the starting point is somewhere south of Great Peter Street. And that's why the directions don't make sense for someone starting from 35 Charles Street.

Why? My guess is that it's just a parsing error, misunderstanding the text address that you've put in, or a database error.

But one thing is for sure: in urban areas in the UK, one of the most precise forms of addressing you can use is the full postcode. On its own, it can often do the job for something like this. "W1J 5EB" is the Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel and nowhere else; that is a unique postcode for this one single address. That's why your Journey Planner search using W1J 5EB and nothing else will give you accurate results.

The route I chose when staying at the Ritz last year, was to take the Julilee line (tube) from from Green park to Waterloo. You can then take the train (South West trains) direct from Waterloo station (beginning of the line) to Hampton court (end of the line).

When at Hampton court station, you just get off and walk across the bridge to Hampton Court Palace (you can't miss it!!)

One small comment...pls check the times of the last train from Hampton Court Station back to London. I think it's either 5:00 or 5:30. I've been to Hampton Court Palace a number of times, it's one of my favourite places to visit when in London but I sometimes stay longer than intended and then have to really keep an eye on the time to ensure I make the last train.

Another suggestion, if you are going on a weekday there will likely be a few school groups there too. But the school groups don't do the whole palace, and tend to do the parts they do visit in a particular order. Ask one of the guides when you are entering the palace which way to go first to avoid the school groups.

There a number of routes on the free map you are given, for instance to tour the King's state apartments, or the Queen's state apartments, or the Georgian rooms etc, I personally enjoy all of it!

The Tiltyard cafe on-site has hot food and prepared sandwiches as well as scones/clotted cream etc. If the weather is fine you can eat outside.

Enjoy your visit!

One small comment...pls check the times of the last train from Hampton Court Station back to London. I think it's either 5:00 or 5:30. I've been to Hampton Court Palace a number of times, it's one of my favourite places to visit when in London but I sometimes stay longer than intended and then have to really keep an eye on the time to ensure I make the last train.

I don't wish to be rude, but this is simply not true. Trains run late into the evening, although the frequency drops to one per hour.

I'm with Twickenham in preferring Google Maps to the TFL website. Given the vagaries of the TFL website, I've found that the Directions feature on Google Maps is easier to use than the TFL website, and seems to give clearer, more straightforward results. But maybe that's just because I'm a map geek who likes to see the actual route of my journey as I'm planning it.;):D

However--just out of curiosity--I wonder: Are the bus and underground directions/routes/times that are displayed on Google Maps actually derived, electronically, directly from TFL? I haven't yet tried a direct comparison.

By the way, if it's any consolation to travellers in London befuddled by the TFL website, the Trip Planner function on New York City's equivalent website (mta.info) often comes up with equally confusing results. For example, the MTA Trip Planner's directions tend to route you via the closest subway station to your starting address, even though taking a different train on a different line from a station just a little further away from your starting point could well give you a more direct and faster journey. The lesson here: These online journey planners are convenient up to a point, but there's really no substitute for local knowledge.

As for the OP's journey from Charles Street to Hampton Court: Personally, I'd take the Underground (Jubilee Line) from Green Park to Waterloo Station rather than Vauxhaul. But perhaps that's just because I like the bustle of Waterloo Station--being there always brings back memories of particular rail journeys to Southampton.:)

Edited by Post Captain

As for the OP's journey from Charles Street to Hampton Court: Personally, I'd take the Underground (Jubilee Line) from Green Park to Waterloo Station rather than Vauxhaul. But perhaps that's just because I like the bustle of Waterloo Station--being there always brings back memories of particular rail journeys to Southampton.:)
Just so that the advantage of the TfL suggested route can be taken into account:

Waterloo station is huge. It has 19 platforms, and platforms numbers often aren't posted until soon before the train departs so you have to stand and watch the board and then hurry to the correct platform.

In contrast Vauxhall station is much smaller, and the trains to Hampton Court probably all leave from the same platform, with the station signage indicating which platform on a permanent basis. Even if they may use more than one platform, there's less rushing around to get to the correct platform.