Storing digital images on cruise

I will be taking both still and video digital images while on an upcoming cruise. In the past, I only took still photos and thus did not have a problem with storage on my "discs". However, with HD video entering the picture, I can see a substantial amount of memory disappearing for video.

Has anyone used a portable storage device other than a laptop computer or a device that requires a computer to download video/photos? If yes, could you please share your procedure and device?

I already have a WD Passport Hard drive, but it needs a computer for transfer of data.

Thanks.

My camcorder is a Sony CX260. It has the capability to plug in directly to a USB drive for direct downloading of either internal memory (16Gb) or external memory card.

One thing that is required for this to work is a USB drive that has it's own power supply, and that was very hard to find. Since I also wanted a USB3 drive, I had to buy a HDD enclosure and put the hard drive in it as I could not find anything available off-the-shelf.

That was a year ago, so USB 3 drives having their own power supply may now be available.

The reason it needs a power supply is that the camera does not supply enough power via USB - even when plugged into the AC adapter - to power the hard drive.

So while on one hand, the camcorder was designed for directly connecting to a HDD or DVD burner, on the other hand, implementation is a bit tricky as you have to have an independent source of power for the device.

At the end of each day, I simply connect the Camcorder to the hard drive, then power both devices with their AC power supplies. Then it is a simple matter of going to a download utility. The camera remembers which videos have been downloaded already and only downloads the ones taken that day.

I don't think there are too many cameras having this feature though. I also take a netbook, which works great for this purpose, and I use that connected to the same hard drive when I want to download photos from my cameras via SD card port on the netbook.

There are a few photo/video vaults on the market which are self-contained and basically consist of a SD port, hard drive and display unit self contained in one package that is designed for photo/video storage. However the criticism of these devices is that they are slow (transfer), and the battery life is rather short. And they cost more than some netbooks.

Unless you have a camera having a feature such as my Sony CX260, your best bet for a low cost solution - since you already have a drive - is perhaps a netbook.

My netbook is a 4yr old Acer Aspire. Nothing special. But I did increase memory, hard drive capacity, and it dual boots into Windows and Ubuntu. On windows, it is a dog, but I have been able to create time lapse videos using QuickTime Pro with it... although I have to let it run overnight to do so. On the Ubuntu side, it is pretty darned fast considering the hardware, and I use that for times when I want to connect to the internet on board.

And a netbook is a lot smaller to carry around than a laptop.

That is how I do it. I am sure others have different solutions.

I have a one-year-old Acer Aspire netbook that I use to transfer my images to a WD Passport portable hard drive. Yes, this does require taking the netbook. But this does enable you to view and (to some extent) work with your images during the trip, if you so desire. And, of course, it means you have a computer along if you need or want to have internet access.

Another netbook vote. Dedicated storage devices often cost more and offer less functionality than a netbook with the only advantage being size and weight. I imagine if I were trekking across the Himalayas the weight savings would be important but a 2 lb netbook hardly makes a dent in my carry-on luggage.

Dave

My experience is if you don't have to download while on the trip, don't. If the devices have removable storage capability, get plenty of extra cards.

If you do have to download to free up space, practice this extensively before going, especially if any of the devices or your process is new to you.

Plus, I like cameras that have dual card slots to use as backup. 2 of everything. You can always recycle the cards you don't need or save one as an additional longterm backup.

I use an Epson P-5000. Mine is 6 years old and holds 80 GB. There is a newer model, P-7000 that holds 160 GB. It is only 5.9 x 1.3 x 3.5 inches and weighs 16 oz. The screen is fantastic and the unit accepts both SD and CF cards, with USB connectivity. It is a stand alone viewer and storage unit. I can give it nothing but rave reviews. The size alone makes it worthwhile.

I used to have a portable DVD burner that I used for backup - it was very good for the purpose, but like others mentioned here, netbooks just made so much more sense. The smallest netbooks aren't a whole lot bigger than portable storage devices, have huge battery life, easily enough storage space to handle the most exuberant shooting, and also give little side perks like being able to play back photos and video, send and receive e-mail, surf the web, etc. And since you can pick up new netbooks under $300 and used ones a lot cheaper than that, they run nearly the same price as many other storage options. Moreover, having the netbook along allows you to also bring a Passport harddrive along, so you can make backup copies of your backup photos - making things feel all the more secure if you have to wipe out cards to shoot again, or even if you buy a lot of cards but just like to have insurance (I always prefer to have at least 2 copies, 3 if possible, of all my photos when I travel).

I've been using a netbook for 4 years and it's been the perfect solution - I recently upgraded my netbook to a hybrid 8 tablet/laptop which was pricier, but I intend to use it more as a full laptop too - it's still small like a netbook but more functional like a laptop...but it will still be my main backup device for photos, and a Passport drive comes along with me as a backup backup.

I also use the "many cards" approach. This is also insurance against a camera getting lost or stolen only the last two days of pictures are with the camera.

Also, a 16GB cards holds lots of pictures and video.

I used to use a netbook and was happy with it. Now, however, I copy my pictures to a tablet. Then I do a quick check to get rid of the really lousy ones. I then back up the tablet to a flash drive.

Very light and the tablet sits in my backpack when I am touring since I also have info sites on it.

DON

Thank you all for the input. I have a number of SD Cards for my CamCorder and small Nikon digital. My Nikon D-300 uses CF cards and will probably see a good deal of work on this cruise.

I too believe in switching cards frequently to avoid a "memory lapse". But I also like to create backups when possible. I have not had the fun of traveling from Texas to Perth, Australia and New Zealand with a laptop. I really did not want to carry my Toshiba as it is a little weighty compared to some others.

I have not experimented with netbooks. I have a WD 1TB Passport that I recently purchased due to its size and price (on sale). It is a USB3/2 compatible. Do your netbooks sync with USB3's or 2?

Has anyone made a trip to New Zealand? Did you use a DSLR? What lenses did you take?

Thank you all for the input. I have a number of SD Cards for my CamCorder and small Nikon digital. My Nikon D-300 uses CF cards and will probably see a good deal of work on this cruise.

I too believe in switching cards frequently to avoid a "memory lapse". But I also like to create backups when possible. I have not had the fun of traveling from Texas to Perth, Australia and New Zealand with a laptop. I really did not want to carry my Toshiba as it is a little weighty compared to some others.

I have not experimented with netbooks. I have a WD 1TB Passport that I recently purchased due to its size and price (on sale). It is a USB3/2 compatible. Do your netbooks sync with USB3's or 2?

Has anyone made a trip to New Zealand? Did you use a DSLR? What lenses did you take?

USB 2 or 3 depends on the model and how new it is. My 3-year-old Acer has USB 2 but I've never had an issue with transfer speed and USB 3 drives are backwards compatible.

When we took a New Zealand to Hawaii cruise a few years ago, weight restrictions forced be to leave the 70-200 f/2.8 at home. I did fine with the 11-18 and 24-75 f/2.8 on the DSLR and a little PowerShot. Those same restrictions have caused me to add a NEX and expand my investment in good lenses for it.

Link to NZ gallery: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324/nzhi2008

Enjoy your trip.

Dave

Use the new Ipad 64gb, easy to transfer and view. Also have the seagate wireless plus for extra storage.

So how do you backup your iPad to an external drive just in case your iPad dies or is stolen? Do you use the Seagate drive?

So how do you backup your iPad to an external drive just in case your iPad dies or is stolen? Do you use the Seagate drive?

Yes just like you would back up your computer.

Check it out here

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQRUW4Q/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=27346808437&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=368924346505364833&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7bp77hkppo_b

My experience is if you don't have to download while on the trip, don't. If the devices have removable storage capability, get plenty of extra cards.

If you do have to download to free up space, practice this extensively before going, especially if any of the devices or your process is new to you.

Plus, I like cameras that have dual card slots to use as backup. 2 of everything. You can always recycle the cards you don't need or save one as an additional longterm backup.

Im a first time cruiser and although I only use point and shoot cameras I do tend to take a lot of photos, more than a thousand in 2wk break in Oz. I agree that downloading is not necessary if you take plenty of sd cards. In addition the weight is a lot less than that of a laptop or external hd.

I have also read that you should use many smaller cards rather than one large capacity card for reliability, although I have been lucky in that none have failed on me so far.

I will also try this year taking a camera that charges a lithium battery rather than alkaline batteries. The bonus here being I can take spare fully charged lithium batteries in case I get caught out when on a shore excursion.

I havent come across a dual card camera before but will be looking as this seems a great idea.

Im a first time cruiser and although I only use point and shoot cameras I do tend to take a lot of photos, more than a thousand in 2wk break in Oz. I agree that downloading is not necessary if you take plenty of sd cards. In addition the weight is a lot less than that of a laptop or external hd.

I have also read that you should use many smaller cards rather than one large capacity card for reliability, although I have been lucky in that none have failed on me so far.

I will also try this year taking a camera that charges a lithium battery rather than alkaline batteries. The bonus here being I can take spare fully charged lithium batteries in case I get caught out when on a shore excursion.

I havent come across a dual card camera before but will be looking as this seems a great idea.

Cameras that have dual card slots are mentioned as an option for shooting RAW and JPEG simultaneously as well as a backup option but be aware that the cameras that support this are professional-level DSLRs that start out at $3000+ for the body without lens.

Just an FYI...

Dave

Cameras that have dual card slots are mentioned as an option for shooting RAW and JPEG simultaneously as well as a backup option but be aware that the cameras that support this are professional-level DSLRs that start out at $3000+ for the body without lens.

Just an FYI...

Dave

Not all... My Nikon D7000 has dual card slots, and I can assure you that it did not cost anywhere near $3K for the body. :)

Not all... My Nikon D7000 has dual card slots, and I can assure you that it did not cost anywhere near $3K for the body. :)

Left out the word "mostly"

The D7000 and D7100 cameras stand alone as dual-media mid-range cameras but are still well over $1000 and if you add a decent lens, you will be pushing $2k. The next stop is the D600 full frame at $2k and on to the Sony A99 at about $2500.

Still not valid options for P&S users looking for storage options. A net book or a pocket full of memory cards is way more budget friendly! :D

Dave

The D7000 and D7100 cameras stand alone as dual-media mid-range cameras but are still well over $1000 and if you add a decent lens, you will be pushing $2k. The next stop is the D600 full frame at $2k and on to the Sony A99 at about $2500.

Still not valid options for P&S users looking for storage options. A net book or a pocket full of memory cards is way more budget friendly! :D

Dave

I totally agree with you; as I noted in an earlier comment, I use a netbook and external hard drive for storage. (That's for a really important trip. Sometimes I just use multiple cards.)

For me, my cameras (DSLR, P&S, and camcorder) are downloaded to a PC (soon to be to my Acer Windows Tablet) and then to a portable HD each evening before being cleaned for the next days shooting.

When time permits, I can screen the PC copies for quality and do some culling. The portable HD will contain every picture that I take on a cruise until I return home.

Just as for PC files, images can be lost so two copies of everything are needed. The worst thing I could imagine is taking several thousand images and losing them before getting home.

Dave

Actualy you can pick up a new d7000 for about $900 at B&H and add a new 50mm f1.8d for about $100....well below $2000 (at least that is what my public school math tells me. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Most cost efficient is the many cards approach, 16GB are really really cheap, of course a 1TB USB drive can be had for under a hundred bucks on sale. hard to believe one can fill 1TB but you could be recording the whole trip :D

Backup makes sense to go cheap laptop, these days for 499 you can score a fully functional laptop with 750GB of storage that you can dump your videos, add the 1TB external drive and then 100GB of cards and you should be good...

I would not rely on tablet or standalone HDD backup as these are all very pricey.

Actualy you can pick up a new d7000 for about $900 at B&H and add a new 50mm f1.8d for about $100....well below $2000 (at least that is what my public school math tells me. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

$1000 for a last-generation camera with a single 75mm equivalent lens to make sure your Alaska photos are saved to two cards simultaneously...I'd still vote for $100 worth of extra cards and a $300 netbook as a more budget friendly option than a dual-card DSLR (also calculated with rudimentary math skills).:D

Dave

Archived