Segway Advice

nukesubsailor

While we've never ridden them in St. Maarten, we have in Florida, Belgium, and San Francisco. They have a basket in the front to carry all of your stuff. You will be taught how to ride one there. They are TONS of fun and my husband loves them (wanted to buy one after our first time! :rolleyes:)

You will have a blast! We have rented them in Mystic, CT and San Diego, CA. It takes a little practice (about 5-10 minutes) but once you figure out your balance awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay you go. I found it easier for a woman to wear a cross-body purse. I don't remember ours having any baskets.

We have an excursion booked to ride Segways along the waterfront in St. Maarten. Never having ridden a Segway, I am wondering how you ride one and carry any bags/purses/cameras. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has ridden Segways.

did it in Barbados. I was terrified but its easy peasy to ride. They will give lessons and you will manage no problem. Our segways had a bag on the front. Not too big but holds a bottle of water and camera. I kept my cash and cruise card in my small camera bag. It was so much fun. I would suggest close toe shoes with good soles. Our excursion said it was mandatory but a few people wore sandles and they were somewhat uncomfortable. Take running shoes for sure.

Now that I think about it we had bags as well on our tours, not baskets. They are great fun. Lombard Street in San Francisco on a Segway was an experience not to forget! :cool:

Lombard on a Segway???? YIKES!

Another recommendation: don't do a Segway in gravel conditions if you aren't real stable on them. My DIL's mother did one on a Greek island and tore up her ankle and wrist pretty darn bad. She was fine on solid ground, but tried an uphill gravel thing and that's when the bad stuff started. She missed a lot of the rest of the cruise.

Lombard on a Segway???? YIKES!

Another recommendation: don't do a Segway in gravel conditions if you aren't real stable on them. My DIL's mother did one on a Greek island and tore up her ankle and wrist pretty darn bad. She was fine on solid ground, but tried an uphill gravel thing and that's when the bad stuff started. She missed a lot of the rest of the cruise.

Lombard was AMAZING, doubt we'd ever beat it for fun on a Segway! When we got to the bottom there happened to be a bus of tourists taking pictures. They either thought we were celebrities or crazy, because everyone wanted to take a picture with us and our Segways! :D

Your advice is a very important though. Make sure it is a reputable company and that the roads you travel on are safe. We did an "off-road" tour and the Segways were different (larger wheels, etc.) than the regular ones.

We've done Segways on Antigua and they did not have a bag in front nor did they allow us to have backpacks. They did have lockers at the office, and they carried plenty of water and snacks for us. I just clipped my phone/camera on my waist.

Getting off is the only tricky part. Getting off and hills. Lombard St.? I cannot even imagine.

Now that I think about it we had bags as well on our tours, not baskets. They are great fun. Lombard Street in San Francisco on a Segway was an experience not to forget! :cool:

How on earth do you control the speed of a Segway on Lombard Street!!! doesn't gravity work in San Francisco? :eek: I sincerely admire your guts for doing this, 'cause I wouldn't be brave enough in a million years!

How on earth do you control the speed of a Segway on Lombard Street!!! doesn't gravity work in San Francisco? :eek: I sincerely admire your guts for doing this, 'cause I wouldn't be brave enough in a million years!

It's all in the lean forward and lean back. It was an advanced tour and we were a group of just 4 with a guide. I asked her if I could go on my own (bit of a thrill seeker here :D). With all the winding turns I couldn't go as fast as I wanted to, but I loved it!

Now if I could just find a tour with a straight downhill run! :cool:

Archived