Taxi Drivers taking advantage of visitors?

YorN

I have recently read several trip reports of San Juan (on here and another site) and mostly all of them have reported taxi drivers trying to rip them off by attempting to charge more than the rates and then verbally harassing and trying to guilt the person when they get called out? Is this really a common issue in San Juan and one I should look out for when I visit soon, or is this just a rare occurrence?

It happened to us, post cruise as we shared a cab from the port to the airport. Even though we were quoted the customary flat rate, upon arrival the driver insisted it was per couple and began yelling at us. We quickly looked for the taxi assistants who are normally at the curb, but none were within sight. The other couple handed the driver the flat rate, and rushed into the terminal to make one of those "early" flights. The driver was obnoxious - and that's putting it mildly. He was very intimidating, and would not remove our luggage until DH handed him an additional fare. So I pulled out a pen, got the driver's ID, cab & plate number. When I got home, I shared this incident with our TA, who did a follow-up with the cab vendor and tourist bureau. Wonder if this cab driver was related to the street scam guy!

This probably happens in many cities, but was a first for us.

Darcy

Just back from a cruise departing San Juan (1-way to Miami). From the airport to the hotel, I was handed the fare listing with the total price marked. I checked that before we got a taxi to the pier the next day to see if I was going to be told the correct amount. No problem.

I think you can print out the fare zones (pretty sure the link has been posted on this board before). Just take a copy with you for those places that don't give you the fare in written format.

As far as I know, the fare is ALWAYS per cab, not per person or per couple, plus the fee for the bags.

We were also on the same cruise departing San Juan and ending in Miami. We had no trouble with the cabs. We were handed the paper at the airport and it showed what we should pay. He didn't ask for more. Of course we gave him a tip.

On the morning of the cruise we shared a taxi with another couple to the pier. It was $19 + $2 gas charge and $1 per bag. So it came out to $27 for the 4 of us. It would have been $24 for each couple if we had been in separate cabs. As far as I know, it is the base rate for up to 4 people. Our driver to the port was great, as that whole area was a mad house and he got us there safely and quickly.

Our recent (October) cruise....we found the taxi regulated written system to be very honest. We had great friendly driver's from SJU -Pan American pier and on the return. Sorry some haven't had the same experience.

• 3 weeks later...
We were also on the same cruise departing San Juan and ending in Miami. We had no trouble with the cabs. We were handed the paper at the airport and it showed what we should pay. He didn't ask for more. Of course we gave him a tip.

On the morning of the cruise we shared a taxi with another couple to the pier. It was $19 + $2 gas charge and $1 per bag. So it came out to $27 for the 4 of us. It would have been $24 for each couple if we had been in separate cabs. As far as I know, it is the base rate for up to 4 people. Our driver to the port was great, as that whole area was a mad house and he got us there safely and quickly.

Tks this was a great help, DW and I are heading there in Jan.:D

We took a cab from Old SJ to the airport Nov 23. The driver quoted (the 4 of us) just what I had read on the airport's website and what the cruise line had told us. With tip, we paid a total of $30. No hassles at all.