Zurich, Switzerland or Vienna, Austria?

We have a chance to fly into one of these ports, Zurich or Vienna, for our cruise from Barcelona. We'd only plan on doing 3 days and will never get the chance to see one of them again. I know, never say never. Which one be your choice to do?

Not Zurich. :eek:

It's a commercial & banking city, with architecture and traffic to match.

Though if you flew into Zurich you could consider somewhere like Lucerne. Or rent a car and take in Lucerne, Interlaken, and as many Alpine passes as you can, such as the Furka, the Grimsel, the Susten, and the Nufenen - the scenery is spectacular and the roads un-crowded (trucks and through-traffic use the tunnels of Switzerland's excellent motorway system).

Or the opposite direction - cross the Rhine & explore Germany's Black Forest (Schwarzwald).

But the best view of Zurich is in the rear-view mirror.

If your trip is in winter-time, ignore all I've written - don't go to Switzerland or the Black Forest at all!!!

Vienna is a different place altogether. A city of grandeur, grace, and elegance. My grand-father loved the place, but not my scene.

Also a good starting point for a road trip - places like Bratislava & Budapest to the east, Saltzburg & the Austrian Alps - and even Munich - to the west.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Not Zurich. :eek:

It's a commercial & banking city, with architecture and traffic to match.

Though if you flew into Zurich you could consider somewhere like Lucerne. Or rent a car and take in Lucerne, Interlaken, and as many Alpine passes as you can, such as the Furka, the Grimsel, the Susten, and the Nufenen - the scenery is spectacular and the roads un-crowded (trucks and through-traffic use the tunnels of Switzerland's excellent motorway system).

Or the opposite direction - cross the Rhine & explore Germany's Black Forest (Schwarzwald).

But the best view of Zurich is in the rear-view mirror.

If your trip is in winter-time, ignore all I've written - don't go to Switzerland or the Black Forest at all!!!

Vienna is a different place altogether. A city of grandeur, grace, and elegance. My grand-father loved the place, but not my scene.

Also a good starting point for a road trip - places like Bratislava & Budapest to the east, Saltzburg & the Austrian Alps - and even Munich - to the west.

Just MHO as always

Thanks JB! I'm glad I asked! My husbands family is from Austria, Tyrol. I think that's a couple of hours from Vienna, but I'm sure there's a lot more to see in Vienna, especially the short amount of time we have. If I could ask, what about it isn't your scene? I just started researching and I really value your opinion. Your info helped me with other trips in the past!

Vienna is lovely, charming and I go there fairly often. (This April I was there again, but chose to relax more than anything.)

So much to see! Hapsburg palaces, art musems, Lipizzaner horses, Music, the military museum with the actual car in which Franz Ferdinand was assassinated, Empress Elizabeth (Sissi) rooms, the state treasury, Zoo, Schokolade mit Schlag! Kaffeehaus' from the 1800's, and I can go on and on.

Having also flown into Zurich on several occasions, it is a big city and we basically got on the train and left. (A la John Bull ;D) Lucerne Montreaux, Gex, Rhine Falls, and of course going through the Apenzell region would be a fun trip. But this is more of a driving trip whereas Vienna you can plant yourselves and spend several days there. Also if you get the Vienna Card I believe the river trip to the Monastery (Melk Stiftung) is either included or at a discount.

Thanks JB! I'm glad I asked! My husbands family is from Austria, Tyrol. I think that's a couple of hours from Vienna, but I'm sure there's a lot more to see in Vienna, especially the short amount of time we have. If I could ask, what about it isn't your scene? I just started researching and I really value your opinion. Your info helped me with other trips in the past!

Firstly, I have to admit that cities in general aren't my scene.

But I also found Vienna rather too "grand"- palaces, opera, museums, galleries, public buildings, up-scale coffee houses. All very impressive but somehow I found it rather austere & impersonal.

Perhaps I should have gone there when it wasn't raining :D

It was also some time ago, just a couple of nights en-route.

My opinion is just that - mine.

Grand-dad's was very different. He used to travel there on coach tours in his twilight years, loved the place.

Lucerne, the Alps, and the Black Forest are more "my scene".

As are Glacier NP, the Black Hills, Yellowstone, the Blue Ridge and the Smokeys.

Want my opinion on Washington DC or NYNY?

I think you already know :D

Edited by John Bull

Firstly, I have to admit that cities in general aren't my scene.

But I also found Vienna rather too "grand"- palaces, opera, museums, galleries, public buildings, up-scale coffee houses. All very impressive but somehow I found it rather austere & impersonal.

Perhaps I should have gone there when it wasn't raining :D

It was also some time ago, just a couple of nights en-route.

My opinion is just that - mine.

Grand-dad's was very different. He used to travel there on coach tours in his twilight years, loved the place.

Lucerne, the Alps, and the Black Forest are more "my scene".

As are Glacier NP, the Black Hills, Yellowstone, the Blue Ridge and the Smokeys.

Want my opinion on Washington DC or NYNY?

I think you already know :D

I understand where you're coming from! We live about 2 hrs. from NYC and don't care to go there maybe every 5 yrs! It's a rat race! We were in England 2 yrs ago and cruised fro Dover and visited London after. We really liked the small town and staying at a B&B. We enjoyed London, too, but it took a couple days to get used to it. We live in a small town ourselves.

Vienna does sound nice to visit and it does sound better then Zurich! We'd love to do a river cruise, but way out of our price point!

Haven't been to Vienna yet but can say that Switzerland is a beautiful country and so easy to drive. Absolutely stunning mountains and lakes and the best roads in the world. Agree that Zurich is not much of a destination in itself but Lucerne, Interlaken are wonderful.

Karinad

There is a ferry service alon the Danube which goes from Vienna to Bratislava. Not. Exactly a river cruise but a nice day out. Can't remember name of company but you can Google it. I believe it gets quickly booked up.

I think I had read something about that river day cruise and it sounds like a good idea to see the riverside. For sure I'm looking into it!. I would want to have some organized touring. I think you get to see more like that, especially when you only have a few days!

My dh hates to drive when on vacation! I'm not a good co-pilot and that's saying the least!:o

Karinad

If you book the ferry to Bratislava have a look on free walking tours of the city. These operate in most European cities these days and are often conducted by knowledgable university students. I don't do them as I have limited mobility, but I have friends who have done quite a lot and swear by them.

Another nice place along the Danube not far from Vienna is Melk. However, if you do a trip to Bratislava you could easily spend the rest of your time in Vienna. It is one of Europe's smaller capitals, so easy to get around as it has good public transport.

Karinad

If you book the ferry to Bratislava have a look on free walking tours of the city. These operate in most European cities these days and are often conducted by knowledgable university students. I don't do them as I have limited mobility, but I have friends who have done quite a lot and swear by them.

Another nice place along the Danube not far from Vienna is Melk. However, if you do a trip to Bratislava you could easily spend the rest of your time in Vienna. It is one of Europe's smaller capitals, so easy to get around as it has good public transport.

I just did some googling, just a little. They have a hydrofoil and a Twin City mini Danube cruise (I think it was called). Sounds like a good alternative for not doing a river cruise down the Danube. I appreciate your input. I love to hear info from others, especially here, then just reading it on google.

Not Zurich. It's a commercial & banking city, with architecture and traffic to match. Though if you flew into Zurich you could consider somewhere like Lucerne. Or rent a car and take in Lucerne, Interlaken, and as many Alpine passes as you can

Vienna is a different place altogether. A city of grandeur, grace, and elegance.

Have done much, twice, in and around both of these great cities. BUT, agree strongly with John Bull that Zurich is more of a commercial/banking city. Nice, but nowhere nearly as charming and exciting as Lucerne and/or Vienna. Below are some of my visual samples to prove these points.

People forget, up till the end of World War I, that the Austria-Hungarian nation was a real "EMPIRE"!! Their historic wealth, power and prestige was really amazing. Their "class" was the trend-setter in the world for a lengthy period of time. Love Vienna!! Also, Lucerne is a true paradise in a world-class setting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 109,958 views for this posting.

Here are some highlights and potentials in Vienna. First, from spectacular Vienna, this great “Imperial” city has a nice pedestrian-only area that runs from St. Stephen’s Cathedral towards the main Hofburg Palace area. Second is an example of the main live music/dance programs offered. Third is an example inside their main art museum with great treasures. Finally, are two views from the “country/summer”, 1,441-room Schonbrunn Palace. This includes the back view of the garden and upper areas and then approaching a gate with the main building in the background.:

ViennaMainSquarePeopleFount.jpg

ViennaDancerMusicProgram.jpg

ViennaStairsArtMuseumView.jpg

ViennaSchPalaceGardensBack.jpg

ViennaSchPalGatesPeople.jpg

They have a hydrofoil and a Twin City mini Danube cruise (I think it was called). Sounds like a good alternative for not doing a river cruise down the Danube.
If you are specifically interested in visiting Bratislava, then this is a good way to get there from Vienna. However, if you are more interested in having a day trip on the Danube, then I would join the others in this thread in recommending the Wachau Valley. The monastery at Melk is just one stop on this outing. You can get a reasonably-priced combined ticket at any train station in Vienna that includes the train ride to Melk, entrance to the monastery which has many buildings and gardens to visit, then a one-way cruise (about an hour and a half) on a very picturesque stretch of the Danube, and then the train ride back to Vienna (or you can do it all in reverse order). See this website for more details.

Bratislava is pleasant enough, but as far as European capitals go, it really cannot compare to Vienna. So I would go to the countryside instead.

LondonTowner, we are planning this for next April after our 10 day cruise of Italy r/t Barcelona. I was looking at air for it and seen that one of the routes stopped in Austria and decided that we could extend it a few days.

TLCOhio, thanks for the beautiful pictures! It looks like a place we'd like to tour. I can't wait to show them to my dh!

Hawk, that sounds like a good plan to take the train and then back on the boat or reverse. Like I said, doing a full blown river cruise will likely never happen! This would be a nice taste of it!

I do appreciate every ones input! I wasn't even going to ask, so glad I did!

We did Vienna last summer after coming off of a cruise in Genoa. My husband wants to go back but I have no desire. We did go to Bratislava on a day trip and came back on the hydrofoil.

This summer we are heading to Zurich and Lietchenstein for two days prior to a cruise out of Savona. Boy the prices are expensive.

I agree, Vienna is my choice. I have been to both cities. Switzerland is wonderful, but you could need to get out of Zurich to see the sites, like going to Interlaken or Lucerne, which would involve a car rental.

We did Vienna last summer after coming off of a cruise in Genoa. My husband wants to go back but I have no desire. We did go to Bratislava on a day trip and came back on the hydrofoil.

This summer we are heading to Zurich and Lietchenstein for two days prior to a cruise out of Savona. Boy the prices are expensive.

If you don't mind me asking, what cruiseline are you going on from Savona? I was also wondering myself, is it worth it to fly into another city/country for a 2 day stop-over? The flight to Vienna from BCN is only 2 hrs., but until we get to our hotel and get settled and out to sightsee. We'll only have about 1 1/2 days. It's so much better to do cruises. Even though it's usually only a day stop, no checking in and out.

If you don't mind me asking, what cruiseline are you going on from Savona? I was also wondering myself, is it worth it to fly into another city/country for a 2 day stop-over? The flight to Vienna from BCN is only 2 hrs., but until we get to our hotel and get settled and out to sightsee. We'll only have about 1 1/2 days. It's so much better to do cruises. Even though it's usually only a day stop, no checking in and out.

We are on the Costa Magica leaving Savona on July 15. We are going to Morocco, Madeira, Marseille and the Canary Islands. Western med.

I collect countries and the only reason I am going to Zurich is because of Liechtenstein.

I am a big advocate of visiting cities for a day it or two and then deciding if we want to return at later date for a longer visit.

We are on the Costa Magica leaving Savona on July 15. We are going to Morocco, Madeira, Marseille and the Canary Islands. Western med.

I collect countries and the only reason I am going to Zurich is because of Liechtenstein.

I am a big advocate of visiting cities for a day it or two and then deciding if we want to return at later date for a longer visit.

Thanks for sharing! Costa has such great and different itineraries! We never cruised with them because we're afraid they might not like the food or the language barrier(even though I am Italian!).

Yes, it is nice to check as many countries off your list as possible! Have a great time on your cruise!

Thanks for sharing! Costa has such great and different itineraries! We never cruised with them because we're afraid they might not like the food or the language barrier(even though I am Italian!).

Yes, it is nice to check as many countries off your list as possible! Have a great time on your cruise!

We have never been on Costa but tried MSC last summer and were pleasantly surprised. We love all things Italian! if we only have pasta and pizza for the 13 nights, we will be happy! The cost was extremely reasonable and the ports were exotic. Same last summer.

We have never been on Costa but tried MSC last summer and were pleasantly surprised. We love all things Italian! if we only have pasta and pizza for the 13 nights, we will be happy! The cost was extremely reasonable and the ports were exotic. Same last summer.

MSC was another one I considered, but.......DH likes Italian food, but hates to have the sauces to often. Some day I'll see a "hard to turn down" price and perfect itinerary and we'll get onboard. I think in places like Europe, it's the itinerary that's most important. Some are so port intensive that there's not much time on the ship. Hope you love it!

• 2 weeks later...

It's me again, the OP, I'm still figuring out an itinerary for Austria before our cruise. The flights look better if we do Vienna pre-cruise instead of post. Since this would be the very beginning of April instead of the middle would it be a bad time? Colder? Tours? I seen one tour that said that the river boat portion of it doesn't start until after April 13th. Any opinions or experience?

Thanks!