Please tell me!

Mack704

I just read a review of the QM2 Trans-Atlantic from the review section of CC. It seems just about the only criticism the reviewer noted was the lack of enforcement of the dress code.

The reviewer has been a Cunard regular and went so far as to say they would be rethinking which line they'd use next.

Please tell me how what another wears any time anywhere on the ship can affect your enjoyment of your cruise.

I know, on these boards, dress code threads are a favorite of many. And can bring out addamant opinions on dress code interpretations. The dress code snobs come out in full force.

But please tell me how what another wears can affect your cruise in any way. Please elaborate. Convince me that it should affect my cruise.

This is not unique to Cunard. But Cunard recently altered their dress code. And boy, did the opinions come out!

Please tell me!

Harvey

But please tell me how what another wears can affect your cruise in any way.

Harvey

I can't answer your question, but I can say that there are posters here who will say that their whole cruise was ruined by what other passengers wore.

You will even be told that you should go to your cabin at 6pm and change into the dress for the evening. Like Cinderella!

I can see them scribbling already.

David.

I can't answer your question, but I can say that there are posters here who will say that their whole cruise was ruined by what other passengers wore.

David.

MY whole cruise has been spoilt by what other passengers DIDN'T wear!! There comes a time in everybody's life when some things are better no longer revealed to the general public !! :)

Barry

Please tell me how what another wears any time anywhere on the ship can affect your enjoyment of your cruise. Harvey
Hi Harvey,

Please, on your next crossing, have a romantic meal in Todd English on QM2... clink glasses, savour the food and the atmosphere... gaze out astern... towards the wake vanishing on the horizon...

And then watch a fat elderly guy get out of the pool, wearing only tiny speedos. He walks towards you, turns to see the view you were enjoying moments before... and then bends over to dry himself... Then you'll be able to answer your own question above.

Best wishes.

But please tell me how what another wears can affect your cruise in any way. Please elaborate. Convince me that it should affect my cruise. ...

Harvey

Sorry, Harvey. How the behavior of others affects you is entirely up to you - your standards, your values, your expectations.

I wouldn't say "the whole cruise was ruined" but it does have a impact. How much? Well that depends.

I like to think of Cunard T/A crossings as a throw-back to the romantic era of ship travel. We're Fred & Ginger, sailing back to NYC after hitting the continent. Dressing up and pretending is fun. It's what sets a T/A apart from a cruise.

Now I know that some to do not share my fantasy. They couldn't care less. I just hope that they realize that many on Cunard do, and while they don't have to play the part, I would hope they would try not to be so far off the mark as to be obvious. I don't care if they wear a sports jacket & tie on formal night. But jeans and T-shirt. Well, I notice. It doesn't ruin the trip. I just hope they don't sit near me.

I feel they should restrict the dining room, Queen's Room and theatre to those who at least attempt to not stand out from the dress code. I tell people who ask about the code to pick up a $99 black suit at Men's Wearhouse wear it on formal & semi-formal nights. And then keep it for a wedding or funeral that may come their way.

Call me snobbish if you want. But it's my fantasy and reason for sailing Cunard. If too many people ignore the code, I will probably stop sailing on Cunard. Since my three Cunard T/A crossings are the only times I've been on a ship, I will just go do something else.

Sorry, Harvey. How the behavior of others affects you is entirely up to you - your standards, your values, your expectations.

Now this I can understand. And it makes sense. Except in an extreme example, like the one cited in another post above, it puzzles me why what another wears has any affect on one's enjoyment. Maybe it's just me.

I mean, in a Celebrty ship's MDR, at dinner, directly in view, was a couple dining in jogging suits. (Not formal night). DW and I couldn't have cared less. Would that have any effect on your dining experience? (Cruiseline not withstanding)

Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Please, on your next crossing, have a romantic meal in Todd English on QM2... clink glasses, savour the food and the atmosphere... gaze out astern... towards the wake vanishing on the horizon...

And then watch a fat elderly guy get out of the pool, wearing only tiny speedos. He walks towards you, turns to see the view you were enjoying moments before... and then bends over to dry himself... Then you'll be able to answer your own question above.

Best wishes.

Mrs. Mack704 here. I appreciate your description of the elderly bather, but since he was in a pool, and not dining in Todd English at the next table, this seems to be a moot argument! ;)

I wouldn't say "the whole cruise was ruined" but it does have a impact. How much? Well that depends.

I like to think of Cunard T/A crossings as a throw-back to the romantic era of ship travel. We're Fred & Ginger, sailing back to NYC after hitting the continent. Dressing up and pretending is fun. It's what sets a T/A apart from a cruise.

Now I know that some to do not share my fantasy. They couldn't care less. I just hope that they realize that many on Cunard do, and while they don't have to play the part, I would hope they would try not to be so far off the mark as to be obvious. I don't care if they wear a sports jacket & tie on formal night. But jeans and T-shirt. Well, I notice. It doesn't ruin the trip. I just hope they don't sit near me.

I feel they should restrict the dining room, Queen's Room and theatre to those who at least attempt to not stand out from the dress code. I tell people who ask about the code to pick up a $99 black suit at Men's Wearhouse wear it on formal & semi-formal nights. And then keep it for a wedding or funeral that may come their way.

Call me snobbish if you want. But it's my fantasy and reason for sailing Cunard. If too many people ignore the code, I will probably stop sailing on Cunard. Since my three Cunard T/A crossings are the only times I've been on a ship, I will just go do something else.

Fred and Ginger, I appreciate your fantasy! I love those old films...grew up on them! However, why do you think it is required that the other passengers on the ship should participate in your fantasy? I think you need to cast your own movie using more cooperative players! :)

Mrs. Mack704 here. I appreciate your description of the elderly bather, but since he was in a pool, and not dining in Todd English at the next table, this seems to be a moot argument! ;)

That is true. Todd English on QM2 is in, IMHO, in the wrong place. A view of a pool (and bathers) as well as swimmers walking through the restaurant passageway to the pool is not the best appetiser.:eek::D

I just read a review of the QM2 Trans-Atlantic from the review section of CC. It seems just about the only criticism the reviewer noted was the lack of enforcement of the dress code.

The reviewer has been a Cunard regular and went so far as to say they would be rethinking which line they'd use next.

Please tell me how what another wears any time anywhere on the ship can affect your enjoyment of your cruise.

I know, on these boards, dress code threads are a favorite of many. And can bring out addamant opinions on dress code interpretations. The dress code snobs come out in full force.

But please tell me how what another wears can affect your cruise in any way. Please elaborate. Convince me that it should affect my cruise.

This is not unique to Cunard. But Cunard recently altered their dress code. And boy, did the opinions come out!

Please tell me!

Harvey

Sorry Harvey but it seems to me you have answered your own question - "And boy, did the opinions come out!". You must have read many threads on different boards regarding dress codes and as you have discovered, there are many opinions on this topic. If you would like to read some of them, try searching the Cunard forum for 'dress code', there are plenty to choose from.

No one can convince you it should affect your cruise....it either will or it won't and I don't understand why you would want anyone to try.

Are you booked on a Cunard cruise? If so, I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of what others are wearing (or not wearing ;))

The ambiance of the ship alone seems to beg those who travel on her to follow a code. If people do not want to be a part of that special ambiance it is certainly their business alone, but there should be no surprise that others might find it somewhat off.

My personal feeling is that a holiday will always be a privilege. There are many who wait for years to take even the most basic of vacations. When I am on board, I do not want to be dressed as if I am going to the office, the supermarket, a backyard picnic, etc. It is a time to get away from the everyday and feel special. I have to believe others feel the same way. It is more than just remembering the so called 'golden age of travel'.

Jeanne

Fred and Ginger, I appreciate your fantasy! I love those old films...grew up on them! However, why do you think it is required that the other passengers on the ship should participate in your fantasy? I think you need to cast your own movie using more cooperative players! :)

They advertise the ship with formal nights. The pictures on the website are of formal dress. Most of the ship meets the casting call.

I think you should at least try to fit in a little on formal nights. Make a small attempt. Will that kill you? You knew when you bought the ticket there would be formal nights.

It's not like I'm throwing you off the ship? I'm just asking that for a few hours you adhere to the guidelines that were known to you prior to booking the ticket.

They advertise the ship with formal nights. The pictures on the website are of formal dress. Most of the ship meets the casting call.

I think you should at least try to fit in a little on formal nights. Make a small attempt. Will that kill you? You knew when you bought the ticket there would be formal nights.

It's not like I'm throwing you off the ship? I'm just asking that for a few hours you adhere to the guidelines that were known to you prior to booking the ticket.

Neither DW (Bisbee) nor I ever said we weren't going to comply with Cunard's dress code. Matter of fact, that's just what were planning to do.

My puzzlement rests with wondering why you care. How does it affect your enjoyment of anything on board? Please elaborate.

You know what, it's just how you feel. Difficult explaining your feelings. I know how I feel. I know it makes me no nevermind what anyone else wears. My vacations are too important to me to let that interfere with my good time.

Harvey

I don't think you're snobbish at all Q-Step. I think there is a time and a place for everything. This May will be my first transatlantic crossing and I chose Cunard for exactly the kind of experience you describe. I enjoy Freestyle Cruising too, just look at my previous trips, not to mention this coming January. But not on the QM2. I'm sorry but I will feel both uncomfortable and a little put off if someone sits down to dinner with me on formal night wearing a golf shirt and a pair of shorts while I'm wearing the tux that I bought for the occasion. You should either have the grace and good manners to dress properly at a formal function, or you should limit yourself to sailing on the less formal lines. I will see you THERE. I'll even buy you a drink.;)

Harvey, the dress code is about ambiance and respect. If you don't want to follow the code, which is heavily marketed to the loyal Cunard clientele, perhaps Cunard isn't a "good fit" for you.

Again, we never said we weren't going to follow the dress code. In fact, we are. I said that in a previous post. The whole point of my starting this thread is to ask why do you care?, and how does it affect your cruise?

What I learned here is simply that's the way you feel. One cannot help the way one feels or know why. There can be no other answer. Thank you!

Harvey

Everytime I read about "dress codes" I think about this picture which has been on the Cruise Fashion and Beauty board a number of times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapi viewpost.gif

If someone has a link to the photo of the chain link "formal" dress lady that resurfaces any time this topic comes up, PLEEEEASE post it! I need a good chuckle today! biggrin.gif

Here ya go, LOL!!:

chainmail-dress.jpg

Harvey, the dress code is about ambiance and respect. If you don't want to follow the code, which is heavily marketed to the loyal Cunard clientele, perhaps Cunard isn't a "good fit" for you.

We would never wear casual clothing such as shorts and golf shirts to dinner on a cruise, much less on formal night! We have been on many cruises, and I can recall possibly once or twice seeing that, so I hardly think we will see hoards of cutoff-clad diners on our QM2 cruise next May.

But I do have a question for you. If Cunard markets heavily to their loyal clientele, are you saying that we, having never cruised with Cunard before, are going to feel less than welcomed on the ship?

I think not...even if I choose to wear something other than an evening gown on formal nights, which I assure you, will be in perfect taste, high quality, stylish, dressy, and would be appropriate at any formal occasion. ;)

Q-Step, I think you have expressed yourself very well. For me, life changes when I board the QM2, and for that time I can be in another world. I can't control what other people wear, neither can I control the wishes of some potential customers [as per survey?] who may patronise Cunard if the dress code is relaxed.

The best we can do for now is enjoy Cunard, dress up and sail as often as we can and in a couple of years we will see how business is for them. That will be the deciding factor.

With all that is included during the voyage I wonder how they make a profit, and profit is going to be the decider.

. The dress code snobs come out in full force.

Please tell me!

Harvey

These dress code threads always leave me :eek::confused::rolleyes:.

The 'Cunard Regular':

If someone selects a ship because they enjoy elegant formal dining and atmosphere and the ship they selected advertises a dress code that matches that need, they rightly expect that is be the atmosphere they will encounter and so they should. If that changes than the reason for booking that ship is no longer valid. Simple.

Just like if someone booked a ship for the climbing wall, wave pool, skating rink for their enjoyment and all those were removed, they would have a valid reason for not booking that ship/line again. Simple.

People spend their vacation money on what, hopefully, will give them the most enjoyment for their vacation dollar. So making the right choice for that dollar is up to them.

In fact, we are. I said that in a previous post. The whole point of my starting this thread is to ask why do you care?, and how does it affect your cruise?

Okay....picture this please:

It's your wedding. You spent a small fortune to provide the proper elegant atmosphere you desire. You picked the correct venue. The dining room is spectacular. The waiters are attired to match the atmosphere of the room. The tables will have white linens and sparkling silverware. The décor is set. You are pleased. Your wedding party is dressed in beautiful formal wear befitting your desires. You have gone to additional expense and trouble to find just the right 'Tux' for this very special occasion.You have sent out the invitations and stated on those invites: Black Tie/Formal Dress is requested.

The night arrives the majority of guests arrive in outfits to match the dress code you requested. They are stunning. But what is this! In walks about 30 of your guests in gym suits who upon entering remark to you, "This is our day off and we didn't feel like dressing up but since we brought you presents felt we were entitled to come regardless."

I would say those guests have displayed not only very poor manners but a complete disregard for others.

I have always struggled to understand how when a ship publishes a dress code that requests passengers dress in formal/elegant attire and asks that dress be worn through out the evening as this is the atmosphere they desire on their ship, how those who have gone to the time and expense of upholding that dress code are called 'dress snobs' by those who wish not to do so. Boggles my ol' mind. :confused:

Fred and Ginger, I appreciate your fantasy! I love those old films...grew up on them! However, why do you think it is required that the other passengers on the ship should participate in your fantasy?

I would guess because the ship that Fred and Ginger picked stated that was the atmosphere that would be presented to them on that ship. And other passengers should participate because that is what is requested of them by the ship's dress code.

I think you need to cast your own movie using more cooperative players!

I think Fred and Ginger dressed for the part of an Elegant Evening on Cunard as cast by Cunard. The majority of the remaining cast is also very cooperative as they had read the script before signing on for the part and follows the script as written by Cunard.

:)

The dress code debate is really simple. Dress to the code that the ship you sail on requests. That pretty well will keep everyone happy and risking being called old-fashion....it is good manners.

Shoot...call me old-fashion....just don't call me a snob, please. :D

best regards,

seasidegal

These dress code threads always leave me :eek::confused::rolleyes:.

The 'Cunard Regular':

If someone selects a ship because they enjoy elegant formal dining and atmosphere and the ship they selected advertises a dress code that matches that need, they rightly expect that is be the atmosphere they will encounter and so they should. If that changes than the reason for booking that ship is no longer valid. Simple.

Just like if someone booked a ship for the climbing wall, wave pool, skating rink for their enjoyment and all those were removed, they would have a valid reason for not booking that ship/line again. Simple.

People spend their vacation money on what, hopefully, will give them the most enjoyment for their vacation dollar. So making the right choice for that dollar is up to them.

In fact, we are. I said that in a previous post. The whole point of my starting this thread is to ask why do you care?, and how does it affect your cruise?

Okay....picture this please:

It's your wedding. You spent a small fortune to provide the proper elegant atmosphere you desire. You picked the correct venue. The dining room is spectacular. The waiters are attired to match the atmosphere of the room. The tables will have white linens and sparkling silverware. The décor is set. You are pleased. Your wedding party is dressed in beautiful formal wear befitting your desires. You have gone to additional expense and trouble to find just the right 'Tux' for this very special occasion.You have sent out the invitations and stated on those invites: Black Tie/Formal Dress is requested.

The night arrives the majority of guests arrive in outfits to match the dress code you requested. They are stunning. But what is this! In walks about 30 of your guests in gym suits who upon entering remark to you, "This is our day off and we didn't feel like dressing up but since we brought you presents felt we were entitled to come regardless."

I would say those guests have displayed not only very poor manners but a complete disregard for others.

I have always struggled to understand how when a ship publishes a dress code that requests passengers dress in formal/elegant attire and asks that dress be worn through out the evening as this is the atmosphere they desire on their ship, how those who have gone to the time and expense of upholding that dress code are called 'dress snobs' by those who wish not to do so. Boggles my ol' mind. :confused:

The dress code debate is really simple. Dress to the code that the ship you sail on requests. That pretty well will keep everyone happy and risking being called old-fashion....it is good manners.

Shoot...call me old-fashion....just don't call me a snob, please. :D

best regards,

seasidegal

Beautifully said seasidegal. Thank you!

If the color or pattern or cleanliness of the carpeting, upholstery and wall paint on the ship can affect your enjoyment, then so can what other pax wear.

If the quality, beauty or even existence of artwork on board can affect your enjoyment of the cruise, then so can what other pax wear.

If the elegance (or lack thereof) of the china, stemware, tablecloth, chandeliers, draperies and other elements of the ambiance of the MDR can affect your enjoyment of your cruise, then so can what other pax wear.

If your breath can be taken away by the view of a magnificent glacier in Alaska, or a jewel-blue lagoon in the Caribbean, or a stunning ancient church in Europe, then the view of what other pax are wearing can affect your enjoyment of your cruise.

Human beings are visual beings -- they enjoy beauty, order, symmetry. Though human beings can live without these pleasures, they certainly enhance human's enjoyment of their lives. Some people are more sensitive to and more appreciative of beauty than others, but I do not believe anyone is truly immune.

If the color or pattern or cleanliness of the carpeting, upholstery and wall paint on the ship can affect your enjoyment, then so can what other pax wear.

If the quality, beauty or even existence of artwork on board can affect your enjoyment of the cruise, then so can what other pax wear.

If the elegance (or lack thereof) of the china, stemware, tablecloth, chandeliers, draperies and other elements of the ambiance of the MDR can affect your enjoyment of your cruise, then so can what other pax wear.

If your breath can be taken away by the view of a magnificent glacier in Alaska, or a jewel-blue lagoon in the Caribbean, or a stunning ancient church in Europe, then the view of what other pax are wearing can affect your enjoyment of your cruise.

Human beings are visual beings -- they enjoy beauty, order, symmetry. Though human beings can live without these pleasures, they certainly enhance human's enjoyment of their lives. Some people are more sensitive to and more appreciative of beauty than others, but I do not believe anyone is truly immune.

Wow! What a great answer! That's what I was looking for. I think I've got it now. Thank you for the insight. I promise, I and DW will try our best not to be a distraction from your enjoyment of your cruise. We are looking forward to the ambience of the Cunard Trans-Atlantic on the QM2 next May.

Harvey

I don't know if you specifically referred to my review (Dishonored Queen), but as of this count at least four reviews specifically mention the decline of formal evening standards.

I've found a ship with a great itinerary out of New York - a Disney ship. But I don't like a ship that has a lot of little kids on board. Now would you not ask me, if I don't like ships filled with kids, why I would sign on for Disney knowing that their reputation is for family entertainment? Why do people sign on with Cunard if they don't like their reputation of formal service?

Cunard is expensive compared to other lines. As a solo traveling in a Princess Grill stateroom I pay double. My "Queen Mary 2" evening wardrobe was carefully assembled. I want grand ocean liner elegance - 21st century Titanic if you will - and willingly pay for it and its accoutrements. And I expect to get it. Especially when the head of Cunard had specifically said that formal dress on formal nights would be enforced. I don't have that atmosphere if I am wearing an evening dress but the woman sitting next to me is wearing white cotton capri pants with a black polka dot cotton top and plastic yellow beads. She's nicely dressed for an afternoon pool party but not for a formal evening dinner. Am I snobbish to judge her? You betcha and damn proud to do so.

So if my expectations of the "elegant ocean liner" are no longer met by cutbacks on previous amenities, fellow passengers flipping the bird to formality and daytime decorum, or the cluttering an elegant ship with tacky door sings, then I'm not getting what I paid for.

Where do I go if formal on Cunard is no longer formal? One of several other lines that are not formal either but also don't charge Cunard prices. Then I won't be surprised if men think that swim trunks with a pool towel wrapped around one's torso is appropriate attire for the Lido.

Archived