Silver Shore Luggage Security

specialcruisegirl

I have now arranged for SS to forward two cases on to NYC for my October voyage.

The question is...do l lock the luggage or not with TSA locks.....or indeed any other.

I openly admit to never locking my hold luggage now following an incident at Atlanta Hartsfield some years ago when one of my cases was ripped open.

I hasten to add that nothing of any great value will be in the luggage.

Sophia:)

Good morning, Sophia.

I have used a luggage service, Luggage Free, which has always advised me not to lock the bags as the contents need to be available for search by immigration and customs. I would imagine all luggage services would be the same.

I have used the service many times and have never had a problem with loss or damage. Although expensive, I find it well worth the cost!

Carolyn

I would never, ever leave my stuff unlocked when it's not in my possession. Not so much for someone stealing something, but in case someone PUT something into my bags. I understand that a lock won't totally secure a suitcase, but given a choice between a locked bag, and an unlocked bag, I would hope a theif or smuggler would go for the easy target!

If you are shipping from USA to another country or in reverse you should not put locks on the luggage and that is what we have been advised by each and every luggage shipping service we have used and that has to do with customs.

On the other hand if shipping within the USA it is perfectly find to place TSA locks on the luggage and that is precisely what we do.

Keith

I have used luggage services to ship abroad many times. As others have indicated, you will be instructed to not use locks for international shipments. I have used only plastic ties and have never had a problem. Interestingly, when the luggage arrived in my suite, the ties were always intact. Never had any indication that the luggage had been opened.

Dan

I have used luggage services to ship abroad many times. As others have indicated, you will be instructed to not use locks for international shipments. I have used only plastic ties and have never had a problem. Interestingly, when the luggage arrived in my suite, the ties were always intact. Never had any indication that the luggage had been opened.

Dan

Thank you Dan, SS haven't actually advised with regard to luggage locking, but l am guessing this may come with the documents.

I do always put coloured ribbons around the cases for ID purposes when l am personally collecting them myself and will still do so on this occasion.

Sophia :)

Dont worry,all instructions from Silversea will come well before pick up.Cases remain unlocked,we usually put a bright coloured tie round for easy identification.We always use the Silver Shore service which is home to suite on the ship.Never had a problem.Enjoy your cruise.

Since we're on the subject of luggage transport, we have friends traveling with us on our cruise this September, which is Athens to Venice. We have never used the Silversea luggage service before. I would like to suggest that to them since they will be traveling afterwards--one on business and the other on a hiking trip. And of course the attire for both of those activities will be very different from the cruise! In addition to Silversea's luggage service, can you suggest some others? The transport would be U.S. (California) to Athens and then Venice to U.S. (California).

And a few questions:

1. How far in advance prior to the cruise do they pick up?

2. It seems like the luggage is delivered directly to your suite. Is that correct?

3. Do you just leave the luggage outside your cabin the night before disembarkation and they pick up at the pier?

4. Has anyone ever had luggage transported to those two ports and have they had a positive or negative experience?

5. Has anyone's luggage every not arrived????

6. I assume it is priced by size and weight?

Thanks in advance for any answers, help and suggestions!

Since we're on the subject of luggage transport, we have friends traveling with us on our cruise this September, which is Athens to Venice. We have never used the Silversea luggage service before. I would like to suggest that to them since they will be traveling afterwards--one on business and the other on a hiking trip. And of course the attire for both of those activities will be very different from the cruise! In addition to Silversea's luggage service, can you suggest some others? The transport would be U.S. (California) to Athens and then Venice to U.S. (California).

And a few questions:

2. It seems like the luggage is delivered directly to your suite. Is that correct?

3. Do you just leave the luggage outside your cabin the night before disembarkation and they pick up at the pier?

4. Has anyone ever had luggage transported to those two ports and have they had a positive or negative experience?

Herman,

Can't answer all your questions, hopefully the experts will follow up.....

My luggage is to be collected from home two weeks before l board ship, this is due to me leaving early for the trip.SS have given me a date and time.

I have been advised, again by SS that my luggage will be in my suite when l embark.

I'm only using the service one way.

I'm sending two cases, both under 30 pounds in weight and each case is $350 from the UK to NYC.

Sophia :)

And a few questions:

1. Two to three weeks depending on destination.

2. It is correct,direct from home to suite.

3. Butler dealt with ours in conjunction with tour desk and reception.

4.no.Only negative experience was our last cruise,luggage could not be sent to or from a Brazilian port .5.Never. 6. Correct. It's a great service hope the answers help,have a great cruise without any luggage concerns.

1. Two to three weeks depending on destination.

2. It is correct,direct from home to suite.

3. Butler dealt with ours in conjunction with tour desk and reception.

4.no.Only negative experience was our last cruise,luggage could not be sent to or from a Brazilian port .5.Never. 6. Correct. It's a great service hope the answers help,have a great cruise without any luggage concerns.

And thank you, Brimary. Your answers were very helpful as well.

Our friend got her quote--$350 for <30 pounds, one way for one bag. Considering it is San Francisco suburbs to Athens, it's really not that bad. It does seem like a great service, especially if you can "let yourself go" and not worry about it arriving! :)

When you think about it, Silversea really does offer a lot of nice extras that a person can take advantage of...if they know about them!