Couple of Newbie Questions

CanuckinSMA

Going on Alaskan cruise on Explore 4. I see where a Bloody Mary is $8.25 on Roger Jett's site. I assume that means that it isn't covered in the Explore 4 package. So if we order it or any drink over $8, does it get charged to our room? Also can someone tell me what the usual procedure is for cleaning your room and who actually does it? Is it like a hotel, where you leave a tip on your pillow or is this part of your general daily tip you pay? Do people tip the housekeepers extra? Do you put the card on your door like a hotel - Do Not Disturb or Please Clean? Thanks!

Going on Alaskan cruise on Explore 4. I see where a Bloody Mary is $8.25 on Roger Jett's site. I assume that means that it isn't covered in the Explore 4 package. So if we order it or any drink over $8, does it get charged to our room? Also can someone tell me what the usual procedure is for cleaning your room and who actually does it? Is it like a hotel, where you leave a tip on your pillow or is this part of your general daily tip you pay? Do people tip the housekeepers extra? Do you put the card on your door like a hotel - Do Not Disturb or Please Clean? Thanks!

The SBP or Explore 4 is now $9 and below per drink!

As far as your stateroom there is no need to tip daily as the gratuity charged to your account, daily, covers the cabin Stewards. However some tip extra at the end of the cruise for going above and beyond. That is given directly to whenever you choose to tip.

To clean your room just put the "service" card in the door key slot when leaving the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mllewis48 covered it well. The only thing I might add is that the stewards will learn your habits quickly and clean your room at a time that will disturb you the least. Also, when you first meet them (they will already know your names), you can advise them of your desires (such as additional ice) and they will try to please you. We always show our appreciation before disembarking.

As stated above, the there is a card inside the door that you can indicate "Please service" or "Do Not Disturb" by placing in the door key slot.

In hotels and on cruise ships, you don't tip daily...you tip at the END of your stay! But, as stated, the charged gratuities cover your cabin attendant. We tip a bit additional IF the cabin attendant is really good...our best one was one we NEVER, EVER saw! Still don't know if it was a man or woman! But, the cabin was ALWAYS in tip-top shape!

Your Bloody Mary is covered under the new price of up to $9 per drink on the Signature Beverage Card. The price was changed about 3 months.

We do tip extra at the end of the cruise to those people whom we felt made our cruise an enjoyable one. This includes cabin stewards, dining room staff, bar tenders, specialty restaurant staff.

Like many of us who sail with HAL, we end up loving our service staff both in the cabin and dining rooms, as well as throughout the ship. Both monetary appreciation as well as named recognition in the post-cruise survey are ways we find to express this feeling.

They will leave a card in your cabin with their names on it, so hang on to that so you can identify them in the satisfaction survey because like previously reported, some times they are so good you never even see them. But it has always been a pleasure when you do. I hope you too find HAL ships to the the "ship of smiles" that many of us so often encounter. Courtesies given and courtesies always received.

(they will already know your names)

First ocean cruise - neither my wife nor I go by the first names registered for the trip or on our passports. Will we be able to amend whatever info they have on board so that we're called by what we go by, see our names for this site?

(they will already know your names)

First ocean cruise - neither my wife nor I go by the first names registered for the trip or on our passports. Will we be able to amend whatever info they have on board so that we're called by what we go by, see our names for this site?

Your Room Steward, as well your waiters, will ask how they should address you when they first meet you.

Enjoy your cruise planning and feel free to ask lots of questions here on the HAL Forum as well as your Roll Call.

In hotels and on cruise ships, you don't tip daily...you tip at the END of your stay! But, as stated, the charged gratuities cover your cabin attendant. We tip a bit additional IF the cabin attendant is really good...our best one was one we NEVER, EVER saw! Still don't know if it was a man or woman! But, the cabin was ALWAYS in tip-top shape!

We always tip daily at hotels -unlike cruise ships, you don't always get the same housekeeper daily.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always tip daily at hotels -unlike cruise ships, you don't always get the same housekeeper daily.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We tip daily at hotels too as we've learned we don't always have the same housekeeper.