Leisurely drive or route from Port Canaveral to Fort Lauderdale.

lucywestie

So after finishing our cruise out of PC we have to head down to Fort Lauderdale where we spend 3 nights before heading out on another cruise from Miami. Seeing is how there is no rush to get to FL what would be a nice leisurely route to take driving south.

I checked out the A1A but it seems that you are blocked from views of the ocean by condos and the like. Is there another route that might be a bit more interesting or scenic?

A1A is it and you are correct about thee view being blocked most of the time

next would be US-1 but that's simply a business corridor for much of the way and just one stop light after another .....

maybe do A1A south to Stuart ... here at least A1A is on the barrier island. In Stuart it crosses back to mainland so just go to 95 and get the ride over with.

For variety, I have traveled A1A, joining the route either at Merritt Island or North of there, I don't recall for sure. I was headed for Fort Pierce, just North of Stuart. I enjoyed the drive and even though there were many condos along the route, it was a break of the speed and monotony of I-95. If you do try this, be very observant of speed limit signs. I saw more local police cars along this route looking for speeders than I saw Florida Highway Patrol cars on I-95. There was one on Merritt Island very nicely tucked away until one just came into sight.

A1A 150% is your best bet. While you don't see the ocean much of the time you are still by it, you see the interesting homes and developments etc.. You will also need to cross a few bridges back and forth which makes the drive nice as well. Make sure when you cross a bridge back over the intracoastal west you go back east as soon as you can. And when you are by West Palm Beach make sure to go all the way east the drive in Palm Beach is something, those homes right on the beach and you are traveling on the beach as well. Its a nice place to stop and enjoy as well. Take A1A, but the key is to keep staying on A1A when you need to get back on the mainland to go right back on the islands as soon as you can. It is a nice drive.

Stop for lunch at Guanabanas in Jupiter:

https://www.guanabanas.com/

I agree! I also agree with the earlier poster that said not to miss Palm Beach. The drive on A1A between Palm Beach and Hillsboro Inlet is very nice - lots of massive (I originally typed 'big' but that doesn't do most of them justice including one on the Hillsboro Mile that was the most expensive home for sale in the USA at a time - for $175,000,000!) homes, lots of ocean views in Palm Beach County including public beaches and parks, Gumbo Limbo Nature Center and turtle rescue in Boca Raton (free, $5 donation requested), etc. If you get as far south as the Hillsboro Inlet you might as well stay on A1A since its only another 30 minutes to Fort Lauderdale and en route you'll pass the new, and very much improved, central beach and pier (that's in the process of being replaced beginning next year) area in Pompano Beach and the quaint town of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea with nice restaurants, beach and pier.

I agree! I also agree with the earlier poster that said not to miss Palm Beach. The drive on A1A between Palm Beach and Hillsboro Inlet is very nice - lots of massive (I originally typed 'big' but that doesn't do most of them justice including one on the Hillsboro Mile that was the most expensive home for sale in the USA at a time - for $175,000,000!) homes, lots of ocean views in Palm Beach County including public beaches and parks, Gumbo Limbo Nature Center and turtle rescue in Boca Raton (free, $5 donation requested), etc. If you get as far south as the Hillsboro Inlet you might as well stay on A1A since its only another 30 minutes to Fort Lauderdale and en route you'll pass the new, and very much improved, central beach and pier (that's in the process of being replaced beginning next year) area in Pompano Beach and the quaint town of Lauderdale-by-the-Sea with nice restaurants, beach and pier.

Gumbo limbo is a must if you've got kids! last I heard is that they renovated the area recently. It's been a couple years since I've been able to go but it's always been a great stop.