Cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale

ecnirp

Hi

Just booked a RCI cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale around the Caribbean then transatlantic back to Southampton leaving April 2016. I have booked flights arriving in Miami 7 days before, so I am looking for somewhere to stay for 7 days in the Fort Lauderdale area (done the Orlando theme parks a few times in last few years so not bothered visiting again), so just seeing if anyone can recommend somewhere to stay in the area so we can easily catch the cruise (undecided on car hire).

We normally stay on the Gulf Coast side, so never done the East coast, we are 2adults and a 9 year old, I've looked on Google maps and there are lots of beach areas, so just wondering where people tend to stay when cruising from Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks for any advice.

If you read down the board there are dozens of threads on hotels in the Ft Lauderdale area. Your mission to determine what price works for you, and what is required in the area. Beach and port aren't real close, but not a problem for a cab. 17th Street is a popular location as it has most of the things people want- food, drink, stores, etc. And close to the port.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are flying into MIA 3 weeks tomorrow! If you use Tesco, have a look at using Tesco vouchers to book car hire. We have booked a car through Budget (via Affordable car Hire on Tescos' site) and it has cost us £20 for the week! Hope it all works out when we get there! Staying at Embassy Suites on 17th St, Ft L'dale, as we used the one in Washington DC and liked it, but plenty of other hotels to choose from!

Simon

Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel is my choice. Lovely property with a nice pool area, excellent service, and a very nice beach where one can walk without difficulty (other than walking through sand) to the entrance Inlet to Port Everglades.

I would recommend a rental car for such a stay as you will have. A shuttle on the main street is available, but it is a bit of a walk to get there. Having your own car will make your stay must easier and not make you feel that you are confined to the hotel's property.

Thanks for the replies

sddsddean - I was looking at the Embassy Suites as an option, I've been surprised how much more the hotels seem to cost in FT Lauderdale compared to Orlando, I guess it comes down to how much accommodation there is in Orlando area, did you book direct?

That's a great point on the Tesco clubcards, I collect them, I never knew you could use them in the US! I think having a car will be good as we are there for a week, also means I can stay abit further away, Hiollywood looks nice on some of the hotels sites I have seen.

Thanks for the replies

sddsddean - I was looking at the Embassy Suites as an option, I've been surprised how much more the hotels seem to cost in FT Lauderdale compared to Orlando, I guess it comes down to how much accommodation there is in Orlando area, did you book direct?

That's a great point on the Tesco clubcards, I collect them, I never knew you could use them in the US! I think having a car will be good as we are there for a week, also means I can stay abit further away, Hiollywood looks nice on some of the hotels sites I have seen.

I think if you are used to staying on the west coast of Florida, you are going to be REALLY disappointed with the beaches on the east coast.

Since you have a week, I would rent a car, spend two nights in South Beach, two nights in the middle keys (Islamorada or Key Colony Beach), and two nights in Key West. You can spend your last night in Fort Lauderdale.

Don't get me wrong, I live in FLL and LOVE it here but the beaches just cannot compare.

Thanks for the replies

Yes, booked direct. I know you can probably save a bit by going through 'hotel sites', but I just have the fear everything will go wrong! If you go for the car, do a dummy booking to see how many Tesco vouchers you need to redeem. Heres the link to 'Affordable Car Hire' http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=4216

Simon

Edited by sddsddean

I think if you are used to staying on the west coast of Florida, you are going to be REALLY disappointed with the beaches on the east coast.

Since you have a week, I would rent a car, spend two nights in South Beach, two nights in the middle keys (Islamorada or Key Colony Beach), and two nights in Key West. You can spend your last night in Fort Lauderdale.

Don't get me wrong, I live in FLL and LOVE it here but the beaches just cannot compare.

Cool, that sounds interesting to do a trip down to the keys area.

I'm surprised I haven't seen many villa's for rent in the FLL area, I expected that to be the cheapest option for a 1 week stay compared to a hotel.

Edited by ecnirp

Since your coming all this way, stay at the Diplomat

on Hollywood Beach.

You will not be dissapointed.

The best beach and the best hotel in Florida.

Also if you like the ponies, the Florida Derby may even

be run during your stay.

Edited by fireofficer5

Cool, that sounds interesting to do a trip down to the keys area.

I'm surprised I haven't seen many villa's for rent in the FLL area, I expected that to be the cheapest option for a 1 week stay compared to a hotel.

You may wish to consider a vacation home rental for a one-week stay. Look at HomeAway and VRBO and search for Fort Lauderdale and Lauderdale by the Sea; there are many. You can narrow them down by number of bedrooms, amenities, etc..

Edited by brunello22

Hi

Just booked a RCI cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale around the Caribbean then transatlantic back to Southampton leaving April 2016. I have booked flights arriving in Miami 7 days before, so I am looking for somewhere to stay for 7 days in the Fort Lauderdale area (done the Orlando theme parks a few times in last few years so not bothered visiting again), so just seeing if anyone can recommend somewhere to stay in the area so we can easily catch the cruise (undecided on car hire).

We normally stay on the Gulf Coast side, so never done the East coast, we are 2adults and a 9 year old, I've looked on Google maps and there are lots of beach areas, so just wondering where people tend to stay when cruising from Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks for any advice.

I like the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina. It is close to the cruise port. It has a nice swimming pool with an outdoor bar and casual eating area. It overlooks the intercostal waterway and has a nice marina where you can watch the yachts. My favorite seafood restaurant close to the hotel is the 15th Street Fisheries. They have a downstairs waterfront dining area with a bar that offers a casual atmosphere with reasonably priced good food, and a more upscale upstairs dining room for supper. Both the hotel and restaurant have websites where you can check them out to see if they are a good match for your tastes.

Alhambra is a nice little hotel a half block from the beach in the middle of Ft Lauderdale beach area. The rate includes breakfast, parking, and wifi, and the rates are very reasonable. It looks like a nice clean property with a pool.