Curious

editor@cruisecritic

Over on the "Ask A Cruise Question" forum, we've got a poll going that asks which elements are most important on a luxury cruise (if you haven't weighed in, we hope you will before it closes Monday!). Here's my question for Cruise Critic's luxury experts: It's surprising to see that exotic destinations is ranking relatively low on the poll while the luxe lines are really going all out to promote destinations.

How important is an exotic or unusual itinerary (or at least some unusual, off-beat ports on an itinerary that also has marquee towns) to you?

Here's the link by the way: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40204446#post40204446

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I don't cruise for the ports -- as a matter of fact, I want as many sea days and as few ports as possible. I don't consider cruising a good way to see a location, so if I really want to visit an exotic locale, I'll take a land trip there - or maybe take a cruise that starts or ends there, but not simply stops there as a port of call.

If I want a luxury cruise, I believe I'm paying extra for what's on the ship, not what's on land at the places we'd be going to. If I'm going to be off the ship for the bulk of most days, then the luxurious amenities and facilities on the ship matter much less to me because I'm not on the ship as much.

I like the point, Calliopecruiser, that if you are off the ship for most days then you don't use the luxurious amenities as much or perhaps need them as much. There would be one caveat and that's if a luxury line does a particularly good and/or innovative job with shore excursions. And aside from a handful of those $1,000-per person stunt-style experiences I'm not sure that any luxury line has really raised the bar in a significant way when it comes to tours.

Would love to know what y'all think -- and if there is a luxe line that does a great job with tours.

Carolyn

I don't cruise for the ports -- as a matter of fact, I want as many sea days and as few ports as possible. I don't consider cruising a good way to see a location, so if I really want to visit an exotic locale, I'll take a land trip there - or maybe take a cruise that starts or ends there, but not simply stops there as a port of call.

If I want a luxury cruise, I believe I'm paying extra for what's on the ship, not what's on land at the places we'd be going to. If I'm going to be off the ship for the bulk of most days, then the luxurious amenities and facilities on the ship matter much less to me because I'm not on the ship as much.

Already voted in the poll and added my 2 cents.

Voted less crowds or something, though all the choices were good.

We don't cruise for ports, we take them into consideration, but that is not our main purpose. Of the options in the poll, that is what we look at least.

Some of our favorite worldwide locations(Switzerland, Austria, France) aren't easily accessible by cruise ship! There's a lot more to a location than what is within an hour of a port.

For luxury cruising we are cruising because what is offered on the ship (including fellow passengers) is a notch above what we can find at home. For example: black tie dinners where people actually follow and enjoy the dress code.

While the ports are a consideration, the cruise line is the first consideration for us. We are in the over 55 group, which most luxury cruisers tend to be. We are looking for nice cabins that are a little larger, balconies, no tipping, impeccable service, good food, the ability to eat when we want and with whom we want. We need good internet service. Most of us still need to stay connected to the real world. But don't Nickle and dimes us by charging for it. Even motel 6 doesn't charge for internet these days.

We normally do our own thing while in port, but like the ability to take included tours. These need to be well run and please, try and avoid the obligatory tourist trap shopping. We will pay for optional excursions, such as a trip to the Russian ballet. But it needs to be top notch. We expect lovely common areas, but that doesn't mean over the top bling. Some entertainment in the evening is nice, but if we want a broadway show, we will go to New York. Guest speakers that provide history on the ports are nice. But we don't necessarily need shopping tips. We want a cruise director that makes sure all events run on time but we don't want to hear "are we having fun yet?" NEVER, EVER. And lastly, the ability to do our own laundry on board. We are seasoned travelers that know how to pack and plan on doing laundry on longer trips.

I like the point, Calliopecruiser, that if you are off the ship for most days then you don't use the luxurious amenities as much or perhaps need them as much. There would be one caveat and that's if a luxury line does a particularly good and/or innovative job with shore excursions. And aside from a handful of those $1,000-per person stunt-style experiences I'm not sure that any luxury line has really raised the bar in a significant way when it comes to tours.

Would love to know what y'all think -- and if there is a luxe line that does a great job with tours.

Carolyn

Hapag Lloyd does a good job with tours. Especially the lecturer tours where they take you to places the lecturers think are worth seeing (which are usually not the obvious ones). On my Expedition Wissen on the Hanseatic, I saw a lot of amazing places I never would have thought of by myself.

But even on 'normal' tours, I have found the quality of the tour guides to be outstanding.

Therefore, when I choose a cruise, I actually look at the combination ports/tours offered and choose based on that (small ship and great food is a given).

That's good to hear about Hapag-Lloyd, cathaana. I've done Europa twice and both times there weren't enough English speakers to warrant tours in our mother tongue!

Carolyn

Hapag Lloyd does a good job with tours. Especially the lecturer tours where they take you to places the lecturers think are worth seeing (which are usually not the obvious ones). On my Expedition Wissen on the Hanseatic, I saw a lot of amazing places I never would have thought of by myself.

But even on 'normal' tours, I have found the quality of the tour guides to be outstanding.

Therefore, when I choose a cruise, I actually look at the combination ports/tours offered and choose based on that (small ship and great food is a given).

Since I pretty much do private tours only wherever I can ( or just explore on my own) I never pay much attention to the quality of ships' tours. Since most lines all use the same local providers to me the big difference would be in how many people they put on each bus.

With HL the smallest groups were about 8-10, the largest around 30 people. They always use headsets though, so no crowding around the tour guide, and wandering of a bit and still hearing the explanations is possible, too.

What I really enjoyed was being able to get into places before or after opening times. I'm not sure private tours would be able to do that. As an example, we visited the Heremitage after they closed for the day. They put on a classical concert in the Italian Masters room and then had a private 1.5 hour tour where they divided the 50 of us in 5 different groups. So if you were really unlucky, you had another person or two looking at the same object as you. Not sure how much you would have to spend to do that privately. :eek:

I agree that sometimes a cruise line can make unique arrangements. However, in general, private tours are far better and more convenient, and usually less expensive. And many times they can get you to the head of the line and into exclusive sights, especially in St. Petersburg.

I am the clear outlier here then- I consider luxury cruises which have really off the beaten track itineraries. But then I am not really a committed cruiser either. Not that I don't enjoy cruising- I do. But one that goes off to a never or rarely visited island in the middle of noplace and my interest is peaked.

Is there one particular line that seems to tick the box for you when it comes to itineraries, 5waldos?

Carolyn

I am the clear outlier here then- I consider luxury cruises which have really off the beaten track itineraries. But then I am not really a committed cruiser either. Not that I don't enjoy cruising- I do. But one that goes off to a never or rarely visited island in the middle of noplace and my interest is peaked.

Sounds like you prefer expedtion cruises

Archived