Help! Miami port question

ifashiongeek

My 7 yr old DD and I will be going on a carnival cruise to bahamas on July 17th. Our first cruise. We will be flying from GA to Mia. however, I'm noticing flight times (within Dh and I budget) are either super early: leave atl at 7am or 10am arriving at 9ish or noonish.

The only time after that is 4pm. We have to be at the port by 4. I'm trying to avoid getting a hotel from the day before so flying in early is not a problem. However I'm stressing because if we get there at 9am what can we do until it's time to embark? We will have one carry each and one luggage each on wheels. We plan on taking the carnival shuttle to the port, but will they be open? Should we hang out at the airport until it's closer to 4pm?

We will have the same large time gap when we return because we will be back in mia at 8 am and the flight will leave at 9ish that night. I would Hate hanging around the airport for hours.

Dh doesn't want us walki ng around aimlessly in mia alone with luggage. And we can sit in a McDonald's for oh so long.

Please help. This is really bugging me. Can I check in our stuff early?

Thanks. Sorry for typos I posted from my phone.

I have a little trouble interpreting your flights...Are you talking about arriving in Miami, or Leaving? When you are arriving, it is best to be early. 9am is fine. By the time you are off the plane and get luggage (if you checked anything) you can take a cab to the port. Don't wait for Carnival shuttle. They will wait to leave until the bus is full, and usually the first one doesn't leave until 11am. They will start taking checked luggage around 10am, and start checkin by 11am. If you get in about 9am, get some (overpriced) breakfast at the airport, then a cab to the port.

Check for more info on the Carnival board here at CC, and on the Florida Departures board, under North American Homeports. EM

Thanks so much. We will arrive early about 9am in mia. When we arrive back to mia we will also have the whole day before our flight leaves to return home.

However, I was moreso worried about arriving to Mia- > time to embark.

So even though our cruise says 4pm we can still arrive at the port early?

Also thanks for th e tip about the shuttle!

If you arrive at 9am, you still need to collect your luggage. Maybe grab breakfast in the airport. You will be able to start checking in at the port (travel time about 25 minutes) at 11am, for most cruise lines.

By the way, take a taxi. Cheaper and easier.

Not a lot of time to kill- at most an hour? 4pm is the sailing time, not boarding- you need to be onboard 60-90 minutes prior to that, depending on cruise line policy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It looks like you got your arrival worked out - arriving in Miami at 9am. By the time you get to the restroom, get your bags, maybe a bagel or donut, it will be 10. Take a taxi (under $30) to port, and you'll be able to give your bags to the porters to tag and get in line to board. Usually, boarding starts about 11am. Read the Carnival forum for more info.

By the way, less is more when it comes to clothes. Something nice for dinner, sun dresses and bathing suits the rest of the time. A pair of shorts and t-shirt or another sun dress for the last day when you leave the ship and travel home.

You also asked about getting home. Since your flight home doesn't leave until later, you might look into either renting a car (look for coupon codes) and spending the day at the beach or touring something. You could also take an excursion through the cruise line and they will deposit you at the airport around 2 or so, maybe later. We usually do a car and do something. The car gives you a place to store your bags and stuff.

My 7 yr old DD and I will be going on a carnival cruise to bahamas on July 17th. Our first cruise. We will be flying from GA to Mia. however, I'm noticing flight times (within Dh and I budget) are either super early: leave atl at 7am or 10am arriving at 9ish or noonish.

The only time after that is 4pm. We have to be at the port by 4. I'm trying to avoid getting a hotel from the day before so flying in early is not a problem. However I'm stressing because if we get there at 9am what can we do until it's time to embark? We will have one carry each and one luggage each on wheels. We plan on taking the carnival shuttle to the port, but will they be open? Should we hang out at the airport until it's closer to 4pm?

We will have the same large time gap when we return because we will be back in mia at 8 am and the flight will leave at 9ish that night. I would Hate hanging around the airport for hours.

Dh doesn't want us walki ng around aimlessly in mia alone with luggage. And we can sit in a McDonald's for oh so long.

Thanks. Sorry for typos I posted from my phone.

Arrival - if you are on a nonstop, take the flight that arrives at noon. There is a flat rate for taxi from Miami Airport to the Port of Miami of $24. That is for both of you combined (NOT each). Take a taxi to the port. Boarding at the port will begin around noon. You must be checked in at least one hour before the ship departs.

See the following link for more information on the taxi flat rate ...

http://http://www.floridacruisetips.com/how-to-get-to-miami-cruise-port/

Taxis: We think a taxi makes the most sense for the majority of travelers. If you are going from the Miami airport to the cruise terminal, taxis charge a $24 flat-rate fee. That’s based on the ride, not per person. So if you are traveling with a family of four, that’s just $6 per person (or $12 round-trip) — a great deal. As well, unlike shuttles, taxis leave whenever you’re ready. There is no waiting for other passengers.

Expect to pay a bit more if you’re traveling by taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport due to the longer ride. Taxi fare is an estimated $67 each way.

Cruise Line Transfers: Many of the cruise lines offer transfer service from the Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports to the cruise terminals.

Carnival, for example, offers a shuttle from the Miami airport to your cruise for $32 round trip per person. The same shuttle runs $60 round-trip per person from the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Departure - If you are leaving at 9pm, then I recommend taking the Carnival shore excursion (not the transfer) from the cruise port to the airport. It will coast a little more than the transfer, but will include something interesting, such as an airboat ride (or a tour of Miami or something else that is more interesting than sitting in an airport). The tour will bring you to the airport around 1 - 2pm. You will still have a long wait, but not as long as if you took the transfer directly to the airport.

Some pictures of my airboat tours (I've been on more than one) ...

D11-1.jpg

D11-2.jpg

DSC_0505c_zps618f47d8.jpg

D11-5.jpg

DSC_0482_zpsbec3c3a4.jpg

The Port of Miami ...

zIMG_5148.jpg

Edited by Cuizer2

e.

arriving at 9am by the time you get your luggage - grab a cab and get to the port it will be close to about 10:15. Check in and wait you will be onboard eating by 11:45

arriving any later you are wasting your vacation time.

Do not book a flight for the return trip home until after 12: noon with this being your first cruise

actually you should fly in the day before-- arrive at the pier about 10:30 well rested.

arriving the day of the cruise you will be travel weary and will not make it to the welcome onboard show at 10pm

Edited by serene56

Arrival - if you are on a nonstop, take the flight that arrives at noon. There is a flat rate for taxi from Miami Airport to the Port of Miami of $24. That is for both of you combined (NOT each). Take a taxi to the port. Boarding at the port will begin around noon. You must be checked in at least one hour before the ship departs.

See the following link for more information on the taxi flat rate ...

http://http://www.floridacruisetips.com/how-to-get-to-miami-cruise-port/

Departure - If you are leaving at 9pm, then I recommend taking the Carnival shore excursion (not the transfer) from the cruise port to the airport. It will coast a little more than the transfer, but will include something interesting, such as an airboat ride (or a tour of Miami or something else that is more interesting than sitting in an airport). The tour will bring you to the airport around 1 - 2pm. You will still have a long wait, but not as long as if you took the transfer directly to the airport.

Some pictures of my airboat tours (I've been on more than one) ...

D11-1.jpg

D11-2.jpg

DSC_0505c_zps618f47d8.jpg

D11-5.jpg

DSC_0482_zpsbec3c3a4.jpg

The Port of Miami ...

zIMG_5148.jpg

Thank you for t he details and great pictures.

Do you know the cost of the shore excursions? Thanks

actually you should fly in the day before-- arrive at the pier about 10:30 well rested.

arriving the day of the cruise you will be travel weary and will not make it to the welcome onboard show at 10pm

Actually, OP is only flying from Atlanta, an hour and a half flight. Not travel weary from that! EM