Fourth crime warning for the Bahamas in 2014

Sunlovers_

Yesterday, the U.S. took the unprecedented step of issuing a fourth crime warning for the Bahamas in 2014. The latest advisory was issued by the U.S. Embassy in Nassau. No other cruise destination in the world is the subject of such repeated and graphic crime warnings.

Wonder where the cruise lines would go for the short 3 night weekend cruises if the situation became dire (heavens forbid, but if a cruise passenger murder or something of that nature occurred). Cruise to nowhere? Private island only? Hmmm, the options don't sound that bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

18 days.....

Nassau is an iffy stop. Some love it and go to one of the beach resorts or Atlantis every time, others, like myself, don't care for it too much, as I've visited it 3 times, with a 4th on the way. I wouldn't mind the cutbacks in calls to Nassau. Might leave from for Tortola or St.Maarten on the Eastern Cruises, and soon, for Carnival, "Tortuga".

Hope everyone has a safe visit if you visit soon. :p

I was in Nassau in March and June sailing on Carnival Splendor both times. The first time, they did give everyone a piece of paper along with the fun times in the evening stating about the crime in Nassau against tourists. The second time, in June, there was no such paper or mention of crime.

In June I did go on my own(solo cruiser), walked all the way to Ardastra Gardens and back. I did get stopped by a guy in a car asking me if I wanted to party, I said no, and he left me alone and rode off.

My husband and I were in Nassau 2 months ago, took a cab from the port and went to Cabbage Beach. It was nice and I never felt unsafe. In 10 days, my best friend and I are going on another cruise and will stop in Nassau. We were going to do the same thing, but now I'm reconsidering. I don't get scared off too easily, but 4 warnings in a year is a bit concerning.

I have been to Bahamas several times as part of a land vacation and several times via cruise ship. Never has any problems and have felt safe at all times. I wouldn't want to walk alone at night in a remote area but I wouldn't want to do that in most places!

Sadly, not as comfortable in Nassau now as we once were. :o

On our upcoming 14 day in January, Nassau will be our last port stop and it's quite likely we'll just stay on the ship.

Weather there in January is iffy and safety after dark is also a factor.

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yesterday, the U.S. took the unprecedented step of issuing a fourth crime warning for the Bahamas in 2014. The latest advisory was issued by the U.S. Embassy in Nassau. No other cruise destination in the world is the subject of such repeated and graphic crime warnings.

It's seems the travel warning is justified. According to the Bahamian news outlet Tribune242: A Jet Ski operator was “targeted” and shot in broad daylight at Arawak Cay on Saturday afternoon during a weekend of violence that left five people in hospital suffering from various gunshot and stab wounds.

Complete article here: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2014/dec/08/pair-gunmen-attack-jet-ski-operator-arawak-cay/

This is really disconcerting news since we'll be docking there next week.

Edited by footzz

WOW, makes you think twice about getting off the ship in Nassau. It is kind of like the riots/protests that are going on here in the states, it is only hurting the civilized folks, the bad guys could not care less abut the real out come. Maybe the ships should miss Nassau and go to Freeport for the next couple of months....but then again most are registered in Nassau. :mad:

Well the last poster on the comment box. Summed it up pretty good....

Hey, no problem ... if the guys are caught they know they can get out on bail and shoot some more citizens in the back. The guy arrested for killing the police officer was out on bail for killing TWO people. There is no disincentive for being a criminal in the Bahamas. None. We just love criminals ... look how many we have put in charge of the country!

Makes me a bit nervous for our upcoming trip. We were hoping to visit BCH but now I don't know how safe that would be. I am hoping its "safer" in ?Nassau during daylight but I guess crime can happen any time any where.

BCH shouldn't be a problem. It's a very private property, and just steps from the wharf. You'll find heavy police presence in the area as well.

For the most part, these shootings are locals on locals - very personal. It's a shame they can't keep it "over the hill".

• 4 weeks later...
We are also planning to spend our day in Nassau this month at BCH. We are single females. Anyone been there in the past month or so? I'm nervous about it now, even though I know it's a short walk... :(

The BCH is very close to the port. There should be many other cruise passengers walking along with you on the way there.

nassau_zpsc2ee9b09.jpg

WOW, makes you think twice about getting off the ship in Nassau. It is kind of like the riots/protests that are going on here in the states, it is only hurting the civilized folks, the bad guys could not care less abut the real out come. Maybe the ships should miss Nassau and go to Freeport for the next couple of months....but then again most are registered in Nassau. :mad:

Attempting to connect recent Nassau crime to U.S. protests against overzealous police shooting unarmed U.S. citizens of color is not an accurate comparison.