Trusted Traveller Program

klfrodo

Anybody here a member of this program?

I do fly often enough (business and personal) that I may be interested in applying.

Just curious as to the thoughts of someone who has taken advantage of this program.

I do fly often enough (business and personal) that I may be interested in applying.

Just curious as to the thoughts of someone who has taken advantage of this program.

My personal feelings-too many government databases that who knows whom has access to.

I have a passport and high status with an airline to get into the priority security lines. The government doesn't need to know anything more about how, when and where I travel. If it takes me a few extra minutes, I am willing to give that to avoid being part of another government database.

I recently applied for and received a GOES card. I will use it for the first time when returning from Italy in 2 weeks.

Edited by waterbug123

I have a Nexus card. Trusted traveler program for both Americans and Canadians. It cost me $50 for 5 years. I cross the border by car between 2 and 5 times a week so it is VERY useful.

Not sure what the point would be for those that travel only occasionally.

I have been part of the trusted traveler program for 9 months now and it has proved well worth it.

I travel for work often from SAN through LAX to Geneva and back. I would have missed a couple of connecting flights in the US had it not been for the quick customs/immigration kiosks available to members of this program.

If you travel internationally by air back to US airports that are known for LONG customs/immigrations lines, ie LAX being one of those, and will have a connecting flight to another US city, the speed at which you can bypass lines is worth its weight in gold.

SDCruiser

Edited by sdcruiser

Besides the expedited arrival into the US for immigration and customs, those in the trusted traveler program often get expedited security screening at many airports (it is not "guaranteed" but has been possible for me all but one time so far). The number of airports and number of airlines participating is increasing fairly rapidly. On multiple occasions I have been able to leave my coat and shoes on, as well as leave my liquids and laptop in the bags then just walk through the metal detector. Such a breeze and worth it IMHO.

Edited by frugaltravel

Besides the expedited arrival into the US for immigration and customs, those in the trusted traveler program often get expedited security screening at many airports (it is not "guaranteed" but has been possible for me all but one time so far). The number of airports and number of airlines participating is increasing fairly rapidly. On multiple occasions I have been able to leave my coat and shoes on, as well as leave my liquids and laptop in the bags then just walk through the metal detector. Such a breeze and worth it IMHO.

Now there's a definite perk I did not know about. Where can I find a list of airports that have priority security screening through this program? I wonder if LAX is one of those?

If I may ask,,, what was the timeline from when you applied, to the interview, to card in hand?

Now there's a definite perk I did not know about. Where can I find a list of airports that have priority security screening through this program? I wonder if LAX is one of those?

American Airlines does. They have a separate priority security entrance and one of the two lines is dedicated to trusted travellers.

• 2 weeks later...

The GOES card is the best thing ever.

We flew back from London to LA and easily bypassed 3 hours + of waiting time at immigration.

I don't even do that much international travel, but its good for the duration fo my password (a few more years...I'm very happy with it.

If I may ask,,, what was the timeline from when you applied, to the interview, to card in hand?

Just a follow up

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, it was processed and I can now schedule an appointment. Soonest date available is early June.

Just a follow up

About 2 weeks after submitting my application, it was processed and I can now schedule an appointment. Soonest date available is early June.

Wow! When I got mine, I submitted the app online on a Thursday, had approval on Friday and interview the following Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

Follow Up

June 6th I had my interview. When they asked about any court appearances in my past, I admitted to a DUI in the 90's that was plea bargined down to a wreckless.

Well, I was required to go back to the court and provide a "Certified Court Docket" to the CBP agent.

June 7th, went to the court, paid $5, got the document, and hand delivered to CBP.

Approved

I thought about it as well as a Nexus card for the Canadian/US border crossings and decided against it. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I don't want to give out any more personal information than I have to. I get fingerprinted for work annually but am not too wild about having it done where/when I don't have to.

Edited by twoputt.plusone

I thought about it as well as a Nexus card for the Canadian/US border crossings and decided against it. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I don't want to give out any more personal information than I have to. I get fingerprinted for work annually but am not too wild about having it done where/when I don't have to.

And that's fine. I understand.

For myself, the govt already has my fingerprints on record. From my military days, to my booking, to my RapidGate authorization, what's one more. Especially if I can knock an hour wait at Immigrations or just walk through TSA at airport.

Follow Up

June 6th I had my interview. When they asked about any court appearances in my past, I admitted to a DUI in the 90's that was plea bargined down to a wreckless.

Well, I was required to go back to the court and provide a "Certified Court Docket" to the CBP agent.

June 7th, went to the court, paid $5, got the document, and hand delivered to CBP.

Approved

You've inspired me to look into this again. I wanted to do it before but back then you had to fly to Vancouver for the interview and while I go to Vancouver quite a bit, matching it to their time would have been difficult, especially since I usually go (and drive) over a long weekend. It also would have been costly to fly there just for an interview and then need to fly home the same day. Now that they do the interviews locally, I'm definitely going to do it. Well worth it even for those short trips I take going into Vancouver for 2 hours to drive my mom back and forth to the US.

Follow Up

Approved

:cool:

Not impressed yet.

Flew on the 8th on AS.

Put number in where "Known Traveller" goes. Checked in.

Went to airport, walked up to TSA, had to go through regular line.

After I went through, I asked one of the TSA supervisors what happened.

He told me that the "Known Traveller" info is embedded in the bar code on your boarding pass. Embedding the number is up to the airlines computer system and how long it takes for the airlines computer system to "update" your new information.

BTW, the airline and the airport are both part of the program.

I fly out again on Sunday, so, we'll see.

Well, I wish you'd hurry up and find out. :D I'm really thinking on this. I even brought the info to my brother and a friend last night for them to sign up too. So from the time you filled in the app to the time you got your interview and then card, how long was that exactly?

Well, I wish you'd hurry up and find out. :D I'm really thinking on this. So from the time you filled in the app to the time you got your interview and then card, how long was that exactly?

6 weeks

Good to know ... thanks.

You know, I just reread your question. Your complete question had time from application to time I had interview and received your card.

I answered 6 weeks. Sorry, that was from on line apply to interview to verbal approval for program. I still haven't received my card

Edited by klfrodo

WOW

5 minutes to get through TSA security. My new membership number was embedded. TSA screener who screens your ID and boarding pass sent me to a separate line.

Only 1 person ahead of me. Didn't have to remove shoes. Didn't have to remove belt. Didn't have to remove laptop ot show 311 items. Just place my carry on on the belt and walk through.

:D :D

• 3 weeks later...