Trusted Traveller Program

klfrodo

...www.dhs.gov/tt

So this Trusted Traveler Programs are "NOT REQUIRED" to travel in the US or Overseas.

What these programs do is expedite screening at participating airports. Each program serves a different traveler.

Today, I "choose" to enroll in the Global Entry program. It was an online enrollment. Took me 20 minutes. It cost me $100....

I forgot to add that the trusted traveler number is often referred to as KTN - known traveler number. Once you get approved, the major airline sites will let you store that number in your profile so you will not have to add it every time, assuming you book your flights at the airline website. If you currently have future flights booked, call the airline, or do it online, and add the KTN to your current reservations.

2) Global Entry

I don't know anything more than what I have written.

A few more tidbits:

1. If you have a platinum American Express card and use it to pay the Global Entry fee, American Express will pay it, which is yet another perk of having the card.

2. If/When you re-new your passport, you will need to log in to the GOES site and update your profile with your new passport number. Otherwise, when you try to use a GE kiosk upon return from a foreign country, it won't recognize you.

3. There is a new app available from the the US customs office that lets you enter your passport and do all of your immigration questions via the app while your plane taxis to the gate. It gives you a QR code, so you don't have to wait in line at immigration or use an immigration or GE kiosk; you go straight to baggage collection and customs. You still have to wait in line there but may get there sooner which means being much further up in the line.

4. GE also grants you access to TSA Pre-Check.

I just wanted to note that some airports do not maintain trusted travler lanes all of the time.

In addition in times of higher security passengers with this designation may have to access the regular TSA lanes as noted by AZ_tchr earlier this week (Brussles attacks.) She mentioned Phoenix but it was not the only airport with inreased security.

It's a helpful tool to expedite transit but not foolproof.

1. If you have a platinum American Express card and use it to pay the Global Entry fee, American Express will pay it, which is yet another perk of having the card.

The AmEx platinum card is not the only card that reimburses the GE fee. I believe there is at least one Citi card that also does it. Maybe others too.

Personally I think no one else should get the GE card. The more people who apply and get it, the more people on my line when I come along... Honestly, we are very happy we applied and were approved. It saved us a lot of time on our recent trip to Australia and New Zealand and we have had TSA Pre on our boarding passes every time we have flown a US carrier. Foreign carriers cannot issue TSA Pre boarding passes.

The Global Entry card is great to use instead of a Drivers License when someone asks for ID. There is NO PII on it - no address, so no prying eyes can see where you live…

It is a government-issued ID, so no problem in most places. I use it as my primary ID - if someone does not accept it, only then will I show my DL.

The Global Entry card is great to use instead of a Drivers License when someone asks for ID. There is NO PII on it - no address, so no prying eyes can see where you live…

It is a government-issued ID, so no problem in most places. I use it as my primary ID - if someone does not accept it, only then will I show my DL.

What a great idea. I hate showing my DL and I also hate taking it in and out as I HAVE lost it several times in very creative ways (in the lining of a purse/ in the tipped over basket of TSA line/between the console and seat in my car:D). You have a backup of DL if you loose the GE card and you can still drive home or rent the car.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

As a side note, you are not required to schedule the interview in Chicago if it is convenient to go somewhere else... Chicago may make the most sense for you, just wanted to make sure you were aware that you can interview at any of the facilities if you happen to be flying somewhere. Finally, my interview was quick and stress-free.

To Dampshoes: I have some updated info re: the intake interview. From what I read on another site, the waitlist at ORD is "wide open". So it appears that Chicago may indeed be your best option. Lucky you.

One would think so but a friend was flying out of Reagan National in Washington DC earlier this month and tried to use his Global Entry card as his identification in the TSA line. The agent told him he didn't recognize the card and asked if he had his Drivers License or passport with him:eek:.

One would think so but a friend was flying out of Reagan National in Washington DC earlier this month and tried to use his Global Entry card as his identification in the TSA line. The agent told him he didn't recognize the card and asked if he had his Drivers License or passport with him:eek:.

That's what you get when you hire folks at $9 an hour and a GED. Unbelievable!

One issue does not make a trend. I had a TSA agent (in Houston) tell me a couple years ago he prefers and recommends people use their GE card as the info is in the same place and easy to find and speeds up the process a tad. I use mine overtime I fly and don't even take my DL with me anymore. (I actually leave it in my car at the airport unless I have to drive at my destination)

The AmEx platinum card is not the only card that reimburses the GE fee. I believe there is at least one Citi card that also does it. Maybe others too.

The top citi American Airlines card (world elite. the one that gives you lounge access and priority boarding etc etc ) also will reimburse you for the GE fees.

One issue does not make a trend.

I never said that not recognizing the GE card was a trend; I was just pointing out that it isn't universally recognized by all TSA agents. Our friend was more than a little shocked especially since it was the first time he tried to use it. Moral of the story is that it is always good to have multiple IDs with you (he used his drivers license which he had because he would be renting a car) or be prepared to hold up the line while a supervisor is found to tell the agent that he (or she) is incompetent :D.

I never said that not recognizing the GE card was a trend; I was just pointing out that it isn't universally recognized by all TSA agents. Our friend was more than a little shocked especially since it was the first time he tried to use it. Moral of the story is that it is always good to have multiple IDs with you (he used his drivers license which he had because he would be renting a car) or be prepared to hold up the line while a supervisor is found to tell the agent that he (or she) is incompetent :D.

I'll go with the later.:D Just to be an a%%. :p

Good one for a Dilbert cartoon. "Global Entry card might not be a government issued ID." They must have thought the TSA policy was a Government issued ID that they recognized.

Perhaps you friend should have introduced them. I could go on, but I think I should not.

Eek is right for sure.

Have used my passport card at airports, just to see the TSA drone's reaction. Too many times, they say "this isn't good for air travel". And I reply "I'm not going through immigration, just using it as ID to get to my flight". A couple wouldn't take it, so it was call for the supervisor.

Let me see....a Federal officer not accepting a Federally-issued document.

And we're supposed to let them run our lives because they know better.

Let me see....a Federal officer not accepting a Federally-issued document.

And we're supposed to let them run our lives because they know better.

Hey, that's what we as the flying public asked for after 9/11.

We wanted the Federal Govt to take over airport screening and security.

We got what we asked for

My husband & I applied for the GOES card in 2014 ... it has saved us an incredible amount of time clearing Customs/Immigration on international travel. It's also a bonus to get TSA pre-check on domestic flights, although we are finding an annoying increase in no TSA pre-check open in several airports/concourses.

When we applied in Spring 2014, there was about a 3 month wait for appointments at our local GOES center in Phoenix, but wide open availability in Tucson ... we booked our appointments there and it was a breeze.

Was well worth the $100 bucks IMHO.

Safe travels.

I just wanted to note that some airports do not maintain trusted travler lanes all of the time.

In addition in times of higher security passengers with this designation may have to access the regular TSA lanes as noted by AZ_tchr earlier this week (Brussles attacks.) She mentioned Phoenix but it was not the only airport with inreased security.

It's a helpful tool to expedite transit but not foolproof.

The Pre-Check line at JFK (AA terminal) is closed more often than not when I fly through there. They allow us to keep our shoes on, but we have to take out laptops. 3-1-1 bags can stay in the suitcase. And we use the old-style scanner, not the "see you nekkid" ones.

The AA Executive Mastercard does, but then you're a bit of a slave to AA, since that who you earn your miles on. The Citi Prestige card, which is not airline-affiliated, also reimburses the fee.

We just got back from Asia and once again were thrilled to have GE. It took three minutes to pass through the kiosk (DH's was being balky) - it looked like there were 30 or so of them (Bradley international terminal). I couldn't see the US line for immigration, but several flights had just landed with ours, so I imagine that it was substantial.