Trusted Traveller Program

klfrodo

Ok - I have a question. When you log in to fill in the application it asks for your Last/Paternal name ... then it asks for your Maternal name. But it doesn't ask for your current last name. Where do I put my current married name and maiden name? My married name is certainly not the name of MY father. :confused:

Then I read that I can sign up for the NEXUS card for an additional $50 BUT if I sign up for NEXUS first, then I can automatically get the GOES card for no fee. What I can't find is how long the NEXUS card is valid for before the next fee is due.

Ok - I have a question. When you log in to fill in the application it asks for your Last/Paternal name ... then it asks for your Maternal name. But it doesn't ask for your current last name. Where do I put my current married name and maiden name? My married name is certainly not the name of MY father. :confused:

Then I read that I can sign up for the NEXUS card for an additional $50 BUT if I sign up for NEXUS first, then I can automatically get the GOES card for no fee. What I can't find is how long the NEXUS card is valid for before the next fee is due.

I would "think" that "Last/Paternal" would be your current last name. "Maternal" would be your maiden name.

Nexus is only good for crossing the Mexico or Canadian border by car. ( as I understand it). There are 2 concerns though with the Nexus card.

1. The car also has to be registered in the Nexus program. (That would be each and every car you might be using)

2. Every passenger in the vehicle MUST have a Nexus card also to utilize the Nexus lane.

I would "think" that "Last/Paternal" would be your current last name. "Maternal" would be your maiden name.

Nexus is only good for crossing the Mexico or Canadian border by car. ( as I understand it). There are 2 concerns though with the Nexus card.

1. The car also has to be registered in the Nexus program. (That would be each and every car you might be using)

2. Every passenger in the vehicle MUST have a Nexus card also to utilize the Nexus lane.

I think you meant Sentri and not Nexus. Sentri is for crossing to/from Mexico by car (requiring vehicle info). Nexus is to cross to/from Canada by land, sea, and air and isn't tied to a vehicle. Sentri can be used to enter the US from Canada, but not to enter Canada.

Someone mentioned "GOES card". GOES is the application and enrollment process for Global Entry, Sentri, and Nexus, not a card. If the end result is Global Entry, it's part of your passport, not a separate card.

I may be off on some of these details....the government websites are clear as mud. A nice little matrix showing the features of each would be nice :)

Ok - I have a question. When you log in to fill in the application it asks for your Last/Paternal name ... then it asks for your Maternal name.

Must be the form SENTRI for Mexicans (or those who follow mexican naming convention). As you may know Mexicans take two last names, the first their father's and the second the mother's. When a woman marries, she keeps her father's name and adds "de" (of) followed by her husband's paternal name.

Someone mentioned "GOES card". GOES is the application and enrollment process for Global Entry, Sentri, and Nexus, not a card. If the end result is Global Entry, it's part of your passport, not a separate card.

:)

You do get a card that is embedded with an RFID chip. Says Global Entry on top. Has your picture along with name, DOB, and expiration date.

On the back it has your ID number and ,,, interestingly enough,,, a Sentri logo and a Ready Lane logo.

When approved,,, CBP puts a sticker in the back of your passport. Then they mail you within a couple of days your Global Entry card. When you purchase airline tickets, there is an area listed as "Known Traveller Number". This is where you put your Gloabl Entry number. If the airline is part of the program, this number will be embedded in your boarding pass.. When you approach the TSA people who verify your ID and boarding pass, they scan your boarding pass and that is when they direct you to a special screening (or lack thereof) line.

Edited by klfrodo

You do get a card that is embedded with an RFID chip. Says Global Entry on top. Has your picture along with name, DOB, and expiration date.

On the back it has your ID number and ,,, interestingly enough,,, a Sentri logo and a Ready Lane logo.

When approved,,, CBP puts a sticker in the back of your passport. Then they mail you within a couple of days your Global Entry card. When you purchase airline tickets, there is an area listed as "Known Traveller Number". This is where you put your Gloabl Entry number. If the airline is part of the program, this number will be embedded in your boarding pass.. When you approach the TSA people who verify your ID and boarding pass, they scan your boarding pass and that is when they direct you to a special screening (or lack thereof) line.

Thanks...that's not the way the government website explains it. I actually believe you versus the website since you have firsthand experience, and the website is very poorly done. Maybe the card is an interim stage of the program, or that's what is done until the next time your passport is renewed.

Thanks everyone. I actually did mean the NEXUS card as I drive to Canada once or twice a year... and then cross over while I'm there to shop :D. Haven't been to Mexico in years. I figured that Last/Paternal would be my married name and material would be my maiden name. I just had never seen it written that way before and since they say if you screw up it will delay it I wanted to get it right the first time.

I also forgot (had NEXUS years ago) that everyone in the car had to be cleared. It won't help me much since when I drive my mother will usually be in the car and I know she won't do it.

Wish me luck. I'm going to sign up myself and my DH and see how it goes. I like the fact too, that kids under 17 don't have to pay a fee. I'll make sure my grandkids get it done too so we can travel with them.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Thanks...that's not the way the government website explains it. I actually believe you versus the website since you have firsthand experience, and the website is very poorly done. Maybe the card is an interim stage of the program, or that's what is done until the next time your passport is renewed.

I'll throw in my 2 cents to maybe clarify further: Yes, you get a card with Global Entry, but your GE number is linked to your passport. When you come through immigration you scan your passport at the kiosk; you don't actually have to show/use your GE card. That being the case, I'm not sure why they actually issue a card, but since the picture on mine is terrible I'm not complaining. :D

I have a global entry passport, was not given a card, nor number. It does work on entry back to U.S. but I was not given a card nor a number. I know what to use it is the TSA line. How do I do it?

Not sure what you are asking.... are you trying to find out how to Global Entry system works when re-entereing the country, or how Global Entry allows you to use the TSA pre-check line at security?

I want to get a card ( not given with global entry) for trusted traveler, with most domestic airlines, tsa easy access. So how does one go from global entry to easy acces tsa mininum check line. I have million mile status with three airlines now. Thanks

I want to get a card ( not given with global entry) for trusted traveler, with most domestic airlines, tsa easy access. So how does one go from global entry to easy acces tsa mininum check line. I have million mile status with three airlines now. Thanks

You should have a Global Entry number, that you enter into your profile on your airline's website. By doing that, your GE number is integrated into your boarding pass barcode, which is scanned at the TSA checkpoint. At that point, unless you are one of the random pre-check travelers selected for a more thorough screening, you will be directed to a security line in which you can keep your shoes on, laptop in its bag, etc. However, -and I say this because your screen name makes me wonder if you are a US citizen or Canadian- I think you have to be a US citizen to be able to use the TSA pre-check lines. Also, a limited number of airports have pre-check lines.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2017910587_trprecheckqa08.html

Since I have a Global Access Number and went thru the process, app., intereview person to person, pictures, finger prints and all, I will use the number given and see if it works, We also went of the Global Access site and requested a card to be sent out. When we got our Goes on our passport, over a year ago, they did not give out the cards. We know the Global (goes) we have used it several times when returning to the United States. If all goes well, we should be able to get thru the airport, TSA so much easier. THANKS FOR YOU HELP.

When we got our Goes on our passport, over a year ago, they did not give out the cards.......If all goes well, we should be able to get thru the airport, TSA so much easier. THANKS FOR YOU HELP.

Sounds right. When my BF was approved for GOES (early 2011 I think?), he didn't get a card, but when I did it this past Dec, I got a card; I think maybe it was always the plan to give cards, they just weren't set up for that in time for the first wave of applicants. There doesn't seem to be any real reason to have the card, but I guess it never hurts.

So far I have only used it to speed through C/I upon return; my home airport (CHS) doesn't have a pre-check line; however, I frequently travel to FLL and they are getting a line later this year, so I'll be able to try it out at TSA there. Looking forward to not having to go through all the rigmarole at security!:)

Since I have a Global Access Number and went thru the process, app., intereview person to person, pictures, finger prints and all, I will use the number given and see if it works, We also went of the Global Access site and requested a card to be sent out. When we got our Goes on our passport, over a year ago, they did not give out the cards. We know the Global (goes) we have used it several times when returning to the United States. If all goes well, we should be able to get thru the airport, TSA so much easier. THANKS FOR YOU HELP.

Remember that not all airlines nor all airports are setup to use the pre screen.

Just left Seattle on AS and went through the pre line. Then flew from STL to DFW on AA. St. Louis didn't have the pre screen line, DFW did, however my boarding pass and the GOES card I showed for ID didn't help at all.

• 1 year later...

BIG QUESTION on this subject (considering this is a "Cruise" website)....

Which cruise ports have the Trusted Traveler program in place, if any?

I've looked up Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port and can't find any information.

Seems the cruise ports would love this program to relieve congestion when cruise ships return to port, no?

Remember that not all airlines nor all airports are setup to use the pre screen.

Just left Seattle on AS and went through the pre line. Then flew from STL to DFW on AA. St. Louis didn't have the pre screen line, DFW did, however my boarding pass and the GOES card I showed for ID didn't help at all.

Just because you have GE and have put your Trusted Traveler number in when you purchased your tickets,you do NOT automatically get to use the TSA PreCheck line at an airport. It is still a "luck of the draw" deal, as far as I know. But, your chances are heightened with having GE.

On the card/sticker thing: I did my GE 2 years ago (free if you have an AMEX Platinum card :D). I received a card, but no sticker. I asked about it and was told they weren't doing the sticker anymore.

I use my GE card exclusively for my ID when going through the TSA checkpoint. I like it because it has the legally minimum personal information on it. No address for prying eyes to look at and put on a list for their buddies to rob;) If I get any pushback for using it ("this isn't valid, I need to see your drivers license"), I'll politely ask for a supervisor and have them look at their list of acceptable IDs and point to it (I think it's #7 on the list). I think of it as a "teaching moment" ;)

Most major airports in Canada are set up for both Nexus and Global Entry coming in and out of Canada. DH and I both have had Nexus cards for more than 2 years, and it is invaluable in saving time. Nexus uses an eye scanner, GE uses fingerprints. As a Nexus card holder, we can use both because of the US/Canada cross-border initiative. We also can use it domestically in Cda for pre-screening lines. Just show the card, and you automatically get routed into that line. Strangely, Phoenix Sky Harbor airport doesn't have a separate GE line. Coming back into the USA from Australia, we were able to skip the very long regular customs lines, a huge bonus, using our Cdn Nexus/GE card. So you do need the card!

Strangely, Phoenix Sky Harbor airport doesn't have a separate GE line. Coming back into the USA from Australia, we were able to skip the very long regular customs lines, a huge bonus, using our Cdn Nexus/GE card. So you do need the card!

I think you mean immigration lines. US citizens do not need their Global Entry card to use the global entry kiosks at US airports. All they need is their passport.

Slider and Nanook.....this is an old thread, with a new request about trusted traveler at cruise ports. Of which, I believe, there is no such thing there. But, I could be wrong.

No, you are correct.

http://www.globalentry.gov/locations.html

Edited by 6rugrats

Slider and Nanook.....this is an old thread, with a new request about trusted traveler at cruise ports. Of which, I believe, there is no such thing there. But, I could be wrong.

Duh. I rarely look at dates, just what's at the top of the lists... But, then, with overtime last night and getting home past midnight and up first thing, what do you expect;)

I think you mean immigration lines. US citizens do not need their Global Entry card to use the global entry kiosks at US airports. All they need is their passport. http://www.globalentry.gov/locations.html
p

Ah, but Canadians do. Having the Nexus (also used for Global Entry) allowed us to bypass the "Visitor" lines. Call it Customs, Immigration, whatever.

And I also noted it was an old thread, but OP's had posted today, so I responded. Sorry if that offended anyone.

p

And I also noted it was an old thread, but OP's had posted today, so I responded. Sorry if that offended anyone.

I don't think anyone was offended. I took Flyertalker's comment to mean that you hadn't answered the question at hand, which was specifically about trusted traveler being in use (or not) at cruise ports, not airports.

:)

Just because you have GE and have put your Trusted Traveler number in when you purchased your tickets,you do NOT automatically get to use the TSA PreCheck line at an airport. It is still a "luck of the draw" deal, as far as I know. But, your chances are heightened with having GE.

On the card/sticker thing: I did my GE 2 years ago (free if you have an AMEX Platinum card :D). I received a card, but no sticker. I asked about it and was told they weren't doing the sticker anymore.

I use my GE card exclusively for my ID when going through the TSA checkpoint. I like it because it has the legally minimum personal information on it. No address for prying eyes to look at and put on a list for their buddies to rob;) If I get any pushback for using it ("this isn't valid, I need to see your drivers license"), I'll politely ask for a supervisor and have them look at their list of acceptable IDs and point to it (I think it's #7 on the list). I think of it as a "teaching moment" ;)

Not sure why you're quoting me now on a thread thats a year and a half old.

I was explaining my experience from 1 1/2 years ago.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about though regarding "luck of the draw" either.

1 1/2 years ago you stood in the same TSA line as everyone else, then TSA would/might redirect you to the "pre-check" area.

Today, almost all airports I fly through have a specialy marked entrance to the TSA security lines just for TSA Pre-Check passengers. Just like there is a seperate line for 1st Class, etc.

And just to add,,, my experience only,,, I've never had a TSA agent refuse my Global Entry card as a form of official picture ID.