Trusted Traveller Program

klfrodo

Not sure why you're quoting me now on a thread thats a year and a half old.

I was explaining my experience from 1 1/2 years ago.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about though regarding "luck of the draw" either.

I'm guessing the "luck of the draw" comment refers to the fact that just because you have a trusted traveler number, doesn't mean you will be approved by TSA for Pre-Check for every flight. You could still be required to use the regular security line.

Ah, but Canadians do. Having the Nexus (also used for Global Entry) allowed us to bypass the "Visitor" lines.

Yes, but you made the global comment, "But you do need the card" when talking about re-entering the US from abroad. Which isn't true for everyone. I wasn't commenting on Canadians, and this was clear, it was just regarding US citizens. They don't need their card to use the GE kiosks at US airports.

Call it Customs, Immigration, whatever.

Or money or potatoes. What's the difference? :0

Edited by 6rugrats

Not sure why you're quoting me now on a thread thats a year and a half old.

I was explaining my experience from 1 1/2 years ago.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about though regarding "luck of the draw" either.

1 1/2 years ago you stood in the same TSA line as everyone else, then TSA would/might redirect you to the "pre-check" area.

Today, almost all airports I fly through have a specialy marked entrance to the TSA security lines just for TSA Pre-Check passengers. Just like there is a seperate line for 1st Class, etc.

And just to add,,, my experience only,,, I've never had a TSA agent refuse my Global Entry card as a form of official picture ID.

Like I said, I didn't notice the dates on the posts, I just looked at the thread as it was at the top of the forum list. Sorry if it offended...

Yes, there are the lines marked for PreCheck. But, you have to have the 'PreCheck" mark on your boarding pass to use the lane. I don't know about other airlines, but Delta now will automatically mark your boarding pass beforehand if you made the cut for the flight. But, it still not an automatic deal that you will get PreCheck. If you go to some other forum websites where frequent flyers talk (;)), you will see that some people are 100% successful and others can be maybe 75% successful on having the PreCheck approval even with GE. Those same forums will tell tales of the GE card being rejected as ID...

As for having GE at a cruise port, it would be a great idea. But, the number of people actually having it may not justify installing it. It would be an interesting idea to select one port and install one kiosk and see what would happen. But, unless GE is heavily advertised among the cruise public, I would venture to say that I doubt there would be enough people on a ship that would have gone through the process to justify having the kiosks.

As for having PreCheck on the TSA front of boarding a ship; since it is just rolling out to more and more airports now from just being used for a few selected airports and airlines, it may come. But, I think TSA is more concerned with keeping weapons and "terrorists" off of airplanes, not cruise ships. I would probably take an unfortunate act of violence on a ship to make TSA think about adding another layer to cruise ship security checking...

There is not always a PreCheck marker on boarding passes. It's done at some airports and by some airlines and not by others. On a very recent trip there was a PreCheck icon on our United boarding passes at IAD but not At DEN. The lady in Denver told us that the information was in the bar code on the passes. So it varies.

As for having PreCheck on the TSA front of boarding a ship; since it is just rolling out to more and more airports now from just being used for a few selected airports and airlines, it may come.

Since PreCheck is a TSA program, you're not going to see it at cruise ports at all, since TSA isn't in charge of security at cruise ports.

But, you have to have the 'PreCheck" mark on your boarding pass to use the lane. ..

In my experience, you're mistaken.

I use mobile checkin. (ie, with my iPhone or iPad)

I have yet to have anyone write or mark on my iPhone or iPad that I'm authorized to use TSA Pre-Check line.

I just walk in, walk up, scan my barcode, show picture ID, walk through.

Perhaps the "confusion" is due to DL processes and Pre-Check. My DL boarding passes (and perhaps Slider's) indicate when I have been OK'ed for PC. This is either on the print-at-home, kiosk, or mobile BPs. I am 100% when so indicated and 0% when it isn't indicated.

It may be different for other carriers. Also, my PC approval is through my Medallion status, not through Global Entry or Nexus. IMO, it's the multiple variables that account for how different folk have different experiences.

Perhaps the "confusion" is due to DL processes and Pre-Check. My DL boarding passes (and perhaps Slider's) indicate when I have been OK'ed for PC. This is either on the print-at-home, kiosk, or mobile BPs. I am 100% when so indicated and 0% when it isn't indicated.

It may be different for other carriers. Also, my PC approval is through my Medallion status, not through Global Entry or Nexus. IMO, it's the multiple variables that account for how different folk have different experiences.

Yep. I only fly Delta and SkyTeam. Delta does add a "PreCheck" note on the paper passes that I've had lately. It used to be that you had to have the pass scanned at the first portal to determine whether or not you got the special beeps that allowed you access to the special line. I guess other airlines could do it differently.

Man, I can't win for losing lately. Either I try to post on too little sleep or post just after coming home from work (like now)... I'm just scatterbrained lately, I guess...

There is not always a PreCheck marker on boarding passes. It's done at some airports and by some airlines and not by others. On a very recent trip there was a PreCheck icon on our United boarding passes at IAD but not At DEN. The lady in Denver told us that the information was in the bar code on the passes. So it varies.

You are correct. Delta boarding passes usually (though not always) have PreCheck printed on the boarding pass when you are PreCheck approved. I have recently used AA and AS and neither had any indication of PreCheck printed on the boarding pass, but I was eligible and used the PreCheck both times.

• 2 weeks later...
You are correct. Delta boarding passes usually (though not always) have PreCheck printed on the boarding pass when you are PreCheck approved. I have recently used AA and AS and neither had any indication of PreCheck printed on the boarding pass, but I was eligible and used the PreCheck both times.

AA started adding the pre check mark to boarding passes over the summer. I had it on my June fight LAX-JFK and for a flight to Quito in September.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a mystery. I have zero status on DL and flew them in and out of MSP earlier this week. I fly maybe 3-4 times a year but have a very long history of flying regularly (more in earlier years). I had no idea you could be OK'd for pre-check without doing anything till I padded up to the line in my stocking feet with my Freedom Baggie and my laptop out and they told me I didn't have to do any of that in Pre-check. I was sure the world had come to an end. :D I was also OK'd for Pre-check on the flight home. So those of you who have zero status and don't have global Entry, check your boarding pass. The Pre-Check fairy may smile on you anyway.

Definitely a mystery. I have zero status on DL and flew them in and out of MSP earlier this week. I fly maybe 3-4 times a year but have a very long history of flying regularly (more in earlier years). I had no idea you could be OK'd for pre-check without doing anything till I padded up to the line in my stocking feet with my Freedom Baggie and my laptop out and they told me I didn't have to do any of that in Pre-check. I was sure the world had come to an end. :D I was also OK'd for Pre-check on the flight home. So those of you who have zero status and don't have global Entry, check your boarding pass. The Pre-Check fairy may smile on you anyway.

TSA has started to expand the Pre-Check process to random "regular" folks in the past couple of weeks. Some other boards have forums were frequent flyers are whining about "kettles" clogging up the Pre-Check lines now. Part of their issue is that the people selected don't understand the "rules" of the Pre-check line (keep on shoes, don't take Freedom baggie out, keep laptop in bag, etc.), causing the lines to slow down. Some reported that the "regular" lines were running faster than the Pre-Check lines.

TSA has started to expand the Pre-Check process to random "regular" folks in the past couple of weeks. Some other boards have forums were frequent flyers are whining about "kettles" clogging up the Pre-Check lines now. Part of their issue is that the people selected don't understand the "rules" of the Pre-check line (keep on shoes, don't take Freedom baggie out, keep laptop in bag, etc.), causing the lines to slow down. Some reported that the "regular" lines were running faster than the Pre-Check lines.

LOL- yeah, I felt like a Kettle for once! Fortunately I don't think I held things up much since I'm already used to the old drill and had my shoes off and laptop and Freedom Baggie out when I walked up to the TSA desk. It's one of the few pleasant surprises I've had from the TSA.

LOL- yeah, I felt like a Kettle for once! Fortunately I don't think I held things up much since I'm already used to the old drill and had my shoes off and laptop and Freedom Baggie out when I walked up to the TSA desk. It's one of the few pleasant surprises I've had from the TSA.

Some of the elite flyers with certain airlines were granted Pre-Check during beta testing. They felt it was an entitlement to just them as elites. Then, you could "buy" your way into Pre-Check with the Global Entry program ($100 for 5 years of Pre-Check lottery eligibility AND fast immigration & customs re-entry via kiosks) and a newer $85 program. The lines got bigger and the elites felt their privilege was being degraded. NOW, TSA has added the random selection of "kettles" to the mix and the elites are howling that they have to mix with the unwashed masses instead of breezing through the line in 5 minutes :rolleyes:

I was invited into Pre-Chek through US Airways as a Chairmans Preferred member. Didn't have to do anything, just got an e-mail one day saying I was in. I have friends who are elites in UA/CO, DL, and AA who had the same experience.

I also have Clear which is quite often the faster line. Some airports also have elite and first class lines. Which one I use depends in a visual check of what is going in In each and what airport I'm at.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

Some of the elite flyers with certain airlines were granted Pre-Check during beta testing. They felt it was an entitlement to just them as elites. Then, you could "buy" your way into Pre-Check with the Global Entry program ($100 for 5 years of Pre-Check lottery eligibility AND fast immigration & customs re-entry via kiosks) and a newer $85 program. The lines got bigger and the elites felt their privilege was being degraded. NOW, TSA has added the random selection of "kettles" to the mix and the elites are howling that they have to mix with the unwashed masses instead of breezing through the line in 5 minutes :rolleyes:

Wow, what an incredibly accurate description. Check out some threads on Flyer Talk to confirm exactly what you said :)

Wow, what an incredibly accurate description. Check out some threads on Flyer Talk to confirm exactly what you said :)

FT is where I saw all the whining. Pre- Check does screening the "old-fashioned" way, the way it SHOULD be for everyone. I bought mine with GE - a nice program to have when hitting I&C at the same time as other flights!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 3 trips in the last month out of LAX, I have not seen the regular line move any faster than the precheck one. Even when it's shorter, there's always somebody who holds things up with a knotted shoelace or laptop case that won't unzip. I had two super seniors in the precheck line and just went around them as they tried to figure out why they were ok not taking off shoes, etc. The sad part was that they didn't know that they apparently never saw the signs exempting them from having to do so in the regular lines.

AA started adding the pre check mark to boarding passes over the summer. I had it on my June fight LAX-JFK and for a flight to Quito in September.

Yes... since about the end of June this year, I've cleared Pre on about 2/3 of the 30 or so segments I've flown on AA (nice). Additionally last week in SAN my home airport which hasn't had Pre, they started a version of Pre and were filling the line with about 50% kettles who were ALL pleasantly surprised by the unexpected Pre experience.

At least the TSA seems to be moving in the right direction

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

I had two super seniors in the precheck line and just went around them as they tried to figure out why they were ok not taking off shoes, etc. The sad part was that they didn't know that they apparently never saw the signs exempting them from having to do so in the regular lines.

Well, at least we're not THAT "Kettle"! DH turned 75 a few months ago and is jubilant that on our next flight he won't have to take his shoes off, Pre-Check or not.

• 2 years later...

So,I thought, I was a reasonably sophisticated traveler. Apparently, I'm not.

www.dhs.gov/tt

Four programs.

1) TSA Pre-check

2) Global Entry

3) NEXTUS

4) SENTRI

So this Trusted Traveler Programs are "NOT REQUIRED" to travel in the US or Overseas.

What these programs do is expedite screening at participating airports. Each program serves a different traveler.

Today, I "choose" to enroll in the Global Entry program. It was an online enrollment. Took me 20 minutes. It cost me $100.

Here are the steps I will have to follow. 1) Today, I pre-enrolled online. 2) Next, I will have to revisit the online website, in a few days, to see if my information was accepted. If it was I move to the next step. 3) Visit an enrollment center (address and location to be determined...here in the Chicago metro area) for an enrollment interview. Once there I will verify my ID ...through documents and papers. Then I will be fingerprinted.

If VERIFIED...I will carry a Global Entry number. Not sure yet...what they will give me to show I am verified. A Global Entry number or card? But something! I will then have a 5-year membership. It will allow me the following. I will be TSA Pre-checked at participating airports in the USA. (US flights). In addition, I will receive expedited processing through CBP at airports and land borders upon arrival back in U.S. from overseas flights.

So, apparently, these programs are trying to make us all safer and at the same time expedite travel through security check points.

I don't know anything more than what I have written.

Bruce

They give you a card that is for driving across the border in to Mexico or Canada. For flying, you only need to put your "trusted traveler" number in the place where it is requested when making your plane reservations, then you will get TSA precheck on your boarding pass when it is printed. For re-entry in the USA, you go to the global entry line, pass your passport across the screen and place your fingerprint on the screen and away you go.

Today, I "choose" to enroll in the Global Entry program. It was an online enrollment. Took me 20 minutes. It cost me $100.

Here are the steps I will have to follow. 1) Today, I pre-enrolled online. 2) Next, I will have to revisit the online website, in a few days, to see if my information was accepted. If it was I move to the next step. 3) Visit an enrollment center (address and location to be determined...here in the Chicago metro area) for an enrollment interview. Once there I will verify my ID ...through documents and papers. Then I will be fingerprinted.

If VERIFIED...I will carry a Global Entry number. Not sure yet...what they will give me to show I am verified. A Global Entry number or card? But something! I will then have a 5-year membership. It will allow me the following. I will be TSA Pre-checked at participating airports in the USA. (US flights). In addition, I will receive expedited processing through CBP at airports and land borders upon arrival back in U.S. from overseas flights.

So, apparently, these programs are trying to make us all safer and at the same time expedite travel through security check points.

I don't know anything more than what I have written.

Bruce

Your understanding is good. Re: the cards, which will arrive a few days after your intake interview, are useful for land crossings, as noted by the previous poster. They are also useful at the Port Everglades cruise port, where there is no electronic kiosk. I am not aware of any other cruise port that has Global entry. If you are flying, you can leave the cards at home since you will be using a kiosk at your entry airport.

As a side note, you are not required to schedule the interview in Chicago if it is convenient to go somewhere else. I mention this because my local GE office in SFO had a wait list of 5-6 months for an interview. I had a planned trip to NYC area and scheduled my interview at Newark airport just before my return flight. The wait list there was about 6 weeks. Chicago may make the most sense for you, just wanted to make sure you were aware that you can interview at any of the facilities if you happen to be flying somewhere. Finally, my interview was quick and stress-free.