For Alaska Cruisers

rothbury

We just recently returned (2 weeks ago) form our first Alaska Cruise. I would highly recommend a book that is sold in the shops onboard. It is called The Alaska Cruise Explorer by Joe Upton. It is a very comprehensive paperback type book with maps and descriptions of what you are seeing as you cruise north or south. It even gives some descriptions of the ports you visit. It is a great reference guide for the Alaskan cruises. On our cruise on the Westerdam there was even an opportunity to get Capt. van Eerten to sign the book. I am still using it to put together my pictures and videos.

I looked at the book preview on Amazon. It looks great! I'm sort of a map buff and would love to buy one.

May I ask the cost of the book onboard? I see it for $19 on the Amazon store. I can still get it from Amazon if I order it quickly, but I'd rather buy it on the ship if it doesn't cost too much more.

Thanks for posting about the book. I ordered one on Bookfinder.com so I'll be able to read it before we go in August. They had lots of used copies available for less than $10, including shipping.

Thanks for posting about the book. I ordered one on Bookfinder.com so I'll be able to read it before we go in August. They had lots of used copies available for less than $10, including shipping.

Those used ones will probably not include the map with them & I think the map will be an important part. The map is in the back of the book and is removable so you can keep up with where you are at all times.

We "discovered" that the walls in our cabin are metal and therefore you can use magnets to post things to the wall. Like the map from this book - we have a lot of fun with that on the cabin wall every trip following along where we are and being able to look out the cabin, or see where we are on the TV screen, and compare to the map. We actually have two of them and hang them both up so we can see the whole trip.

Kempa, the book was around the same price. I think it might have been $19.95. It is well worth it.

Thank you. I'm leaving home on Friday, so I will buy it on the ship. No reason to fret about Amazon getting it to me on time and then having to pack it if I can get it there.

We "discovered" that the walls in our cabin are metal and therefore you can use magnets to post things to the wall. Like the map from this book - we have a lot of fun with that on the cabin wall every trip following along where we are and being able to look out the cabin, or see where we are on the TV screen, and compare to the map. We actually have two of them and hang them both up so we can see the whole trip.

Thanks for the tip! We will be sure to bring magnets so we can hang our map up for easy reference.

Thanks for the tip! We will be sure to bring magnets so we can hang our map up for easy reference.

I used 3M Command spring clips on our cruise. The map was handy to compare the location to the TV location.

If I remember correctly.....The book and separate waterproof map were offered together on the first night of the cruise for $19.95. There was no pullout map. The book is broken up into map sections and is organized by mile markers. If you want the map AND the book I would buy it the first night when they offer them together. The "deal" was only for that night and was not repeated.