Delta Comes Through

geoherb

I had the wheel on my rolling garment bag cut in two on the flight home from Vancouver last month. The Delta rep at the airport said that the airline would not take responsibility for damage to wheels and handles. I thought I was out of luck.

I took the bag to a luggage and shoe repair shop in town. It cost $20 plus tax to have the wheel replaced. I thought I'd give Delta one more shot at making it right and they came through with a refund for the cost of the repair plus a voucher good for $100 off my next flight (if I fly with them again within a year).

I'm glad they did the right thing--even went beyond my expectations. Too bad they don't do it automatically instead of having their reps lead people into thinking that they won't do the right thing when they've damaged a piece of luggage.

That's great, but DL's Contract of Carriage, which you agreed to when you purchased your ticket clearly states:

Damage From Protruding Parts

Delta shall not be liable for loss or damage to articles due to protruding parts, including but not limited to

feet, wheels, pull straps and pull handles

You got lucky. There is no way to know how your luggage was damaged. It could have been by anyone at the airport, or it getting stuck on a piece of equipment. They had no obligation to do anything, that's why nothing was automatically done.

A compliment rather than a complaint about an airline? Are you sure that's allowed? Good thing you had a good experience and posted it here. Will you send an e-mail to Delta? If there was an individual you can name, I'd do that. Positive reinforcement. Wonder what cut a bag in two.

I would suggest that you be general about the assistance provided if you write into DL. The agent violated the specific terms of their baggage policy. Now, to you, that's good news. To the airline, or their specific supervisor, that may be bad news.

I would phrase it that you had a baggage issue, that agent XYZ helped you out tremendously and was very courteous and friendly in the process. Left you with a positive impression of ABC Airlines. Nothing mentioned that can get them into trouble.

At one time, in the Leo Mullin era at DL, the official policy was "No waivers, no favors". Employees were fired for doing that. It was like Aeroflot. But what could you expect from a CEO whose past jobs were at Conrail, First Chicago Bank and Commonwealth Edison -- three companies known for their deep commitment to customer service. :rolleyes:

Archived