Buying onboard credit from UK

TowandaUK

Have had problems buying obc online in the past. Just rang Celebrity UK (08444932043) and bought some by phone. Online it shows 1 unit costs £15.20 for $25, however by phone they charged me £14.90. Just need to wait and see if it goes through the bank account - transactions online for obc in the past have sometimes gone through ( with a lot of follow up emails), and sometimes not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have had problems buying obc online in the past. Just rang Celebrity UK (08444932043) and bought some by phone. Online it shows 1 unit costs £15.20 for $25, however by phone they charged me £14.90. Just need to wait and see if it goes through the bank account - transactions online for obc in the past have sometimes gone through ( with a lot of follow up emails), and sometimes not.

The amount you've been charged sounds right as the £ is very strong against the $ at the moment. I have also purchased OBC by phone and paid £15.20 for each $25. Over the months I've purchased occasionally and now have $600 OBC! It's a great feeling to know most of your spending is budgeted and to watch your account decrease instead of mounting up!

£14.90 is an excellent price today because, although the pound has been very strong over the past few months, it has started dropping against the dollar since mid-July. £14.90 is $1.6779/£1 and likely to be the best rate you can get anywhere today. If the pound keeps dropping against the dollar, the situation will only improve.

Edited by Project_gal

Why don't you get a decent CC which give the visa daily rate without any charges or fees.

Cards like Halifax Clarity or Saga platinium will maximise your currency exchange.

Visa rate just a moment ago was $1.6926 / 1GBP.

Because you can save money but buying OBC when the exchange rate is favoura le as a hedge against unfavorable changes.

We buy Euros or GBP cash when rates are good for us if we plan to travel.

Beth

And I spelled favour the British/Canadian way and the iPhone auto correct foiled me.

You can never tell what is a good rate, its pure speculation. I wish I knew what the rate would be in February next year as I have too pay the final payment to my US travel agency.

Should I pay it now or wait ............?

We often pre buy OBC to get the good exchange rate. Also as the rate is good at the moment for buying dollars with the pound, we may buy some dollars now to pay to our account once on board. It's all speculation but gained quite a few dollars this way when we last sailed on the Eclipse. As the OP said,sometimes the charges do not go across immediately and so the actual rate you are charged may vary from what you think.

One benefit if accruing OBC is that it spreads the cost so that not everything goes on your CC during the cruise.

You can never tell what is a good rate, its pure speculation. I wish I knew what the rate would be in February next year as I have too pay the final payment to my US travel agency.

Should I pay it now or wait ............?

As far as the OP is concerned it's about buying OBC for a cruise they take in October and these gift purchases can represent a very favourable buy. I've done it a few times at the suggestion of people on this board and it's worked out great. I don't think I'd buy too far ahead, but can see why some tuck a bit away if the rate looks good. Exchange risk for the cost of a cruise (or balance due) is of course a separate issue.

Phil

Bringing this to the top for cardcrafter

Hi. Tried but went all round the houses. Eventually a guy said he'd put me through but a voicemail told me the office was closed and gave opening hours which meant they should have been open today!!!! Don't suppose you remember which option you selected when you rang?...

Think I went for the speciality and excursion option. I rang 8.30 in the morning, but still had to wait for 20 minutes to get through. I asked the guy if there was a direct line but he said no. On a positive note it has already gone through my credit card account, whereas when I did it online it took nearly 3 months and several emails! Good luck.

We have Caxton Visa Cards which you can pre load when you want.W have a card in € and a card in US$ and pre load the card when ever I want when the rates are favorable

They can be used in any outlet which accepts Visa and you can make cash withdrawals via ATMs. There are no charges providing you dont use them in the UK and they can be used for your onboard charges. There is a dual currency card which comes with charges which I avoid!!

Steve

We have Caxton Visa Cards which you can pre load when you want.W have a card in € and a card in US$ and pre load the card when ever I want when the rates are favorable

They can be used in any outlet which accepts Visa and you can make cash withdrawals via ATMs. There are no charges providing you dont use them in the UK and they can be used for your onboard charges. There is a dual currency card which comes with charges which I avoid!!

Steve

Steve

Do you know that they can be used to pay your on board account? There have been reports on Cruise Critic of pre-paid cards being refused.

There are still times when it is worth watching the OBC price. Celebrity change it very infrequently and there are times when the rate offered is extremely good. This is very likely to be at different times to when other exchange rates are particularly good. For example, the pound now seems to be falling again against the dollar. If this continues, anyone who did no purchase all the dollars they wanted before the rate went down may find it worthwhile buying OBC. Nothing is certain but I watch the dollar price daily and have a chart going back to early 2009. It helps us judge when to purchase what for our cruises.

Steve

Do you know that they can be used to pay your on board account? There have been reports on Cruise Critic of pre-paid cards being refused.

There are still times when it is worth watching the OBC price. Celebrity change it very infrequently and there are times when the rate offered is extremely good. This is very likely to be at different times to when other exchange rates are particularly good. For example, the pound now seems to be falling again against the dollar. If this continues, anyone who did no purchase all the dollars they wanted before the rate went down may find it worthwhile buying OBC. Nothing is certain but I watch the dollar price daily and have a chart going back to early 2009. It helps us judge when to purchase what for our cruises.

Sue,

You have got me wondering now, I will have to take a back up card :eek:

You make a good point regarding the fact that celebrity dont review their US$ rate that regulary so I can appreciate your comments

Thanks

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

If bying OBC in the UK, would I be able to cash out part of this at guest relations at the beginning of the cruise? We have prepaid gratuities, would use some of the bought OBC to pay for wine etc, but would want to cash some $ out for private tours which need to be paid in $

I understand that you can cash out at the casion for a 5% charge, but I am wondering if I can do this at Guest relations without fee?

Many thanks:)

If bying OBC in the UK, would I be able to cash out part of this at guest relations at the beginning of the cruise? We have prepaid gratuities, would use some of the bought OBC to pay for wine etc, but would want to cash some $ out for private tours which need to be paid in $

I understand that you can cash out at the casion for a 5% charge, but I am wondering if I can do this at Guest relations without fee?

Many thanks:)

I am not sure but I doubt it. You can get the cash out at the end of the cruise [if it is purchased OBC] but, considering the favourable exchange rate that we usually get, it would be a fantastic loophole if you could retrieve it mid-cruise.

I would be interested to know if anyone has managed to do this as foreign exchange at a terrific rate without any commission and/or fees would be far the best way to purchase dollars.