Does everyone trolley or can you just walk around Key West?

funhouse8

We will be stopping in Key West on November 28th. We were there for the first time last year on the Eurodam. Happily we are returning on her again this year.

We did the HOHO trolley last year and Hemingway's Home.

This year we Know we want to do Truman's Little White House for sure.

I've heard it's a couple of block's from the pier. However, we couldn't find it last year. Wondering if you can point us in the right direction to get there. Also, thinking the museum may be a nice stop as well.

We aren't there in the evening so will miss Sunset again.

Also, are there any good grocery or wine/booze shops close to the pier?

Thank you - I know this is a very old thread - I saw that you live in KW so thought I would ask.

I helped you with the LWH directions in the other thread, so I'll answer the grocery question here. :)

I recommend Faustus at 522 Fleming St. It's only a block off Duval. It's great for groceries.

As for alcohol, they only sell beer and wine....good stuff though. If you walk one block over to Southard St, you can visit Key West Distilling for some really good rum and vodka. Here's their website.

https://kwdistilling.com

You are a wealth of information on Key West. Appreciate your sharing your insight's with us, AQUAHOUND.

:)

Anytime. I'm always happy to help. One thing...after reading back on my post, I realize I spelled the grocery store wrong. It's Faustos, not Faustus. Sorry bout that. :o

I was just in KW during the festival and our boat was their until 4:30 pm. We left the boat at around 11:30 am and took the trolley, and honestly I think we just happened to be their at a bad time.

The town was super crowded, two ships were in town. The trolley to me, did not talk you right in front of the door, it make take you around the corner or down the street from X place. Also because the town was so crowded with the two ships if you got off the trolley you might have to wait a long time for another trolley. We passed several stops and could not pick up the people waiting for a bus.

I think the trolley is good for people who just want to ride and see the sights because we could NOT have walked and seen as much as the trolley showed up. Plus it was super hot so please dress for humidity, the lightest clothes, tank tops, summer dresses, etc.

You won't regret it :p

Just head straight down either Duval or Whitehead (or Simonton for that matter) and hang a right on Angela. If you somehow manage to get lost (you won't), just ask anyone that looks semi-local. Anyone who has spent any time in Key West will know exactly where to point you. Enjoy and make sure you report back afterward!

Blue Heaven in on Petronia Street, not Angela. You would walk past Angela another block to Petronia and turn right there to find Blue Heaven.

• 2 months later...
It is a 1.5 mile walk to the S.P. straight down Whitehead St. from the pier. It's worth it. Along the way, you'll pass Truman's Little Whitehouse, Hemmingway House, Key West Lighthouse, the courthouse, and several little shops, restaurants, and bars. From the S.P., you can walk down South St. to the Southernmost House, then up Duval St. Duval parallels Whitehead and will take you back to the pier area with countless shops, etc.

I'm a local here, so feel free to ask more questions. Enjoy your stay. But, I do agree 7-2 is crappy!

My plan is to hop off the ship around 10 am (we will be in port until 8pm) then head up Duvall Street to the Southern Most Point. Along the way I want to see street performers, shops etc. Is Duvall the best street to walk up or would Whitehead be better?

My plan is to hop off the ship around 10 am (we will be in port until 8pm) then head up Duvall Street to the Southern Most Point. Along the way I want to see street performers, shops etc. Is Duvall the best street to walk up or would Whitehead be better?

There are not many street performers left these days, but Duval is the street you want. The entire length is lined with shops, restaurants and attractions. Whitehead is a nice street, but much quieter and more residential as you go south. Maybe walk down Duval and then back up Whitehead and see both?

P.S. The Southernmost Point is at the end of Whitehead, not Duval. The two streets run parallel and are one block apart.

Edited by keywester33

• 2 weeks later...
There are not many street performers left these days, but Duval is the street you want. The entire length is lined with shops, restaurants and attractions. Whitehead is a nice street, but much quieter and more residential as you go south. Maybe walk down Duval and then back up Whitehead and see both?

P.S. The Southernmost Point is at the end of Whitehead, not Duval. The two streets run parallel and are one block apart.

I agree - one stroll down duval is great - enjoy the charm of whitehead in the other direction.