Paid $160 Argentine entry fee, now have new passport

K D cruiser

I can't find the answer to this question. Last year we took a South American cruise from BA to Santiago. We each paid $160 for the entry fee which is supposed to be good for ten years. But then, my husband's passport expired and he now has a new passport number, but the certificate we have shows his old passport number.

We liked the cruise so much we were thinking of repeating it next year. Does anyone know if we can get the passport number changed or do we have to pay another $160 for a new certificate?

Thanks for any information.

According to this link, you may be able to take your old passport to show you paid the fee.

http://mythsandmountains.com/blog/98-travel-tip-reciprocity-fee-rules-for-us-travelers-to-chile-and-argentina

Also, I know that when you pay for the fee online, you set up an account with a userid and password. That way, you can always prove you paid the fee.

I would check with the appropriate Argentine Embassy or Consulate.

Apparently the Argentina fee is only good for the life of the passport.

For those traveling on a US passport, the fee is good for 10 years and survives the passport. Take both your new passport and the old one with the entry fee stamp affixed to it.

I can't find the answer to this question. Last year we took a South American cruise from BA to Santiago. We each paid $160 for the entry fee which is supposed to be good for ten years. But then, my husband's passport expired and he now has a new passport number, but the certificate we have shows his old passport number.

We liked the cruise so much we were thinking of repeating it next year. Does anyone know if we can get the passport number changed or do we have to pay another $160 for a new certificate?

Call the Argentina Consulate in Washington, DC., you can Google it for the phone number. They are very helpful and will be able to help you. I would think you could take your old passport along with his new one and that is all he would need. They will give you the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS!!

We just returned 3 days ago from a cruise that began in Valpariso, and flew into Santiago to meet it. We (US citizens) did NOT have to pay that $160 reciprosity (sp?) fee at the Santiago airport .... a couple of weeks before we left, Chile and the US reached an agreement to not charge that fee to each other's visitors, and apparently the change was implemented immediately.

Call the Argentina Consulate in Washington, DC. Google the number, I called them in January and they were very helpful. I would hope you could bring your old passport and new one with you. But, I have read somewhere it had to do with tieing in with your passport.

Call the Argentina Consulate in Washington, DC. Google the number, I called them in January and they were very helpful. I would hope you could bring your old passport and new one with you. But, I have read somewhere it had to do with tieing in with your passport.

I agree that you should contact the Consulate to confirm that the entry fee is valid for 10 years and survives the life of the passport.

However, this topic has been covered extensively on Trip Advisor and other travel boards. The message from knowledgeable locals and experienced travelers has always been the same: The reciprocity fee for U.S. citizens survives your old passport. All that is necessary is to bring both the old and new passports and proof of payment.

The only reported problem has been with airline personnel who are unfamiliar with regulations and question whether the procedure is valid. No problems have been reported with Argentina's immigration officials.

The comment you read may have applied to citizens of Canada or Australia, which also require reciprocity fees and have different rules than U. S. citizens.

KD, if you check with the consulate pleeeeze report back here to confirm current rules regarding the reciprocity fee. Thanks.

Edited by dr__dawggy

Did you call the Argentina Embassy in Washington, DC? Just google the number, they are very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be doing a 14 day South American cruise starting in Santiago, and flying home from Buenos Aires. Is the fee something you can pay at the airport prior to leaving or is this something we will have to arrange in advance?

• 1 month later...

I am sure you have to pay again, it was for the passport number. Google Argentina Embassy and call them in Washington, DC. They are super nice, answered many of my questions this past January.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

I agree that you should contact the Consulate to confirm that the entry fee is valid for 10 years and survives the life of the passport.

However, this topic has been covered extensively on Trip Advisor and other travel boards. The message from knowledgeable locals and experienced travelers has always been the same: The reciprocity fee for U.S. citizens survives your old passport. All that is necessary is to bring both the old and new passports and proof of payment.

The only reported problem has been with airline personnel who are unfamiliar with regulations and question whether the procedure is valid. No problems have been reported with Argentina's immigration officials.

The comment you read may have applied to citizens of Canada or Australia, which also require reciprocity fees and have different rules than U. S. citizens.

KD, if you check with the consulate pleeeeze report back here to confirm current rules regarding the reciprocity fee. Thanks.

Just Google Aregentina Consulate or Embassy in Washington, DC they will tell you the answer. I had questions for them in Jan. before we went and they were very nice and helpful.

I am sure you have to pay again, it was for the passport number. Google Argentina Embassy and call them in Washington, DC. They are super nice, answered many of my questions this past January.

That's odd. I got the visa with my old passport and have returned to Arg about 6 times since that passport expired. I show my old PP with the visa stamp info and I have no problem entering through customs (or boarding planes).

That's odd. I got the visa with my old passport and have returned to Arg about 6 times since that passport expired. I show my old PP with the visa stamp info and I have no problem entering through customs (or boarding planes).

Thank you, PMacher, for reinforcing what I have been saying for months. Your experience is the same as numerous posters on various Argentina travel sites.

Some folks simply won't bend their preconceived notions, facts and personal experiences not withstanding.

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 1 month later...

Quick question: we just booked a cruise that begins in BA this coming December. We still have our passports from when we were there in April 2010. We paid the fee at that time and the only proof we have is the entrance stamp in our current passports. Is that all we need to show we were there four years ago and we paid it?

Quick question: we just booked a cruise that begins in BA this coming December. We still have our passports from when we were there in April 2010. We paid the fee at that time and the only proof we have is the entrance stamp in our current passports. Is that all we need to show we were there four years ago and we paid it?

You need to look carefully at the passport to be sure it was not just an entrance stamp but shows that it was the stamp for the reciprocity fee.

As long as you have it, the fee is good for 10 years. You just show it to them.

Keith

You need to look carefully at the passport to be sure it was not just an entrance stamp but shows that it was the stamp for the reciprocity fee.

As long as you have it, the fee is good for 10 years. You just show it to them.

Keith

Actually, after looking carefully we each have a certificate pasted into our passports on the last page - so we're good to go.

As American citizens, we paid the reciprocity fee for our trip in 2013 on-line. We are booked for a return trip in 2016 and cannot find a copy of the physical receipt that is printed out after payment is processed. The stamp in our unexpired passports is the Entry stamp that does not explicitly state that we paid the fee (one would think it is obvious we paid the fee since we have proof that we entered the country).

I checked on-line and fund the website where we originally made payment.

http://www.visatoargentina.com/retrieve-visa/

If you click on the "Retrieve Visa" tab at the top, you input your details to get a copy via e-mail. I will let you know if it works.

The middle of the "FAQs" section/tab has some helpful info.

Q: What happens if I can’t find the email with my Reciprocity Fee?

A: If you purchased the Reciprocity Fee with visatoargentina.com, you are in luck. We store your Reciprocity Fee and can send it to you within one business day. Please go to Retrieve Visa and complete the form so we resend you the visa. This is a complementary service we provide and is extremely useful since some visas are valid for 10 years

Q: What happens if I have the Reciprocity Fee stamp in my old, expired passport?

A: As long as the Reciprocity Fee is valid and you have the expired passport, you can present that at Immigration Control. Please make sure the Reciprocity Fee Stamp is not the entry stamp into Argentina.

Too much documentation is always better than too little when traveling. :-)

Edited by Dushi
Left out some information

Heard from the website. The response was that they do not have my records and that I probably used a different website. Now I'll have to do some research to find out exactly which website I used.

In short, do not use the website unless you are sure this is the one you originally paid the fee with as you are asked for your name and birthday. Lesson learned.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I would not rely on any forum for official answers and heed the advice of those who told you to contact the Argentine Embassy for the official answer.

That being said, it is quite clear on the website that once paid, the reciprocity fee is good for 10 years and bringing your old passport along with your new one should meet the entry requirements.

Have a wonderful trip.

Terri