Thinking of Silversea

brazilgirl

Am on my first day of travel planning for our next trip and a lovely itinerary on the Silver Cloud in October caught my add ( a Med cruise departing from Rome with Istanbul as final port- 9 days including the Amalfi coast and Greece).

I will research the Silversea Cloud on my own , but would love to hear from Silversa cruisers about the Silversea experience and what makes it special. And comments about the Cloud in particular.

Thank you in advance.

Kim

It appears that your cruises have been on larger ships. The Cloud would be quite a change for you and you might want to consider the Silver Spirit to start with on Silversea. The staterooms are larger and there are more venues than on the Cloud. Whichever you choose you won't be disappointed. You will normally find a very international group on Silversea and it's a great line.

Brazilgirl,

This is an interesting question which I think dougburns has answered succinctly. I have found that first time SS sailors seem to really enjoy The Spirit, while a lot of old timers prefer the four smaller ships. We choose the ship by the itinerary, although we do prefer the Whisper and the Shadow. That said, we have a b2b coming up on the Wind, and a holiday cruise this December on the Spirit. It is the excellent crews on all the ships which define the line. I don't think you can go wrong.

Am on my first day of travel planning for our next trip and a lovely itinerary on the Silver Cloud in October caught my add ( a Med cruise departing from Rome with Istanbul as final port- 9 days including the Amalfi coast and Greece).

I will research the Silversea Cloud on my own , but would love to hear from Silversa cruisers about the Silversea experience and what makes it special. And comments about the Cloud in particular.

Thank you in advance.

Kim

We were fairly loyal Holland America cruisers until about three years ago. I call it the "perfect storm" decision point when a number of considerations came together back then and we picked Silversea for our first Med cruise. What are great decision! We've not been on the Cloud but have done three cruises on the Wind which is her sister ship and have loved every aspect from service to food to itineraries. It was a big step and quite a change from 1,300 to 296 passengers but it worked for us. Right now we're very close to booking the Spirit for at least one more visit to the Med next year. Looking forward to trying a different Silversea ship, maybe a bit apprehensive as we truly love the Wind, but there is a unique back-to-back combination that might be too attractive to pass on.

We were fairly loyal Holland America cruisers until about three years ago. I call it the "perfect storm" decision point when a number of considerations came together back then and we picked Silversea for our first Med cruise. What are great decision! We've not been on the Cloud but have done three cruises on the Wind which is her sister ship and have loved every aspect from service to food to itineraries. It was a big step and quite a change from 1,300 to 296 passengers but it worked for us. Right now we're very close to booking the Spirit for at least one more visit to the Med next year. Looking forward to trying a different Silversea ship, maybe a bit apprehensive as we truly love the Wind, but there is a unique back-to-back combination that might be too attractive to pass on.

A perfect example of once hooked never turning back! And no buyer's remorse. :)

A perfect example of once hooked never turning back! And no buyer's remorse. :)

Not one second of buyer's remorse......almost wonder what took us so long. :D While I hesitate to say never again right now I can't think of any circumstances that would take us back to the big mass market ships anytime soon.

Not one second of buyer's remorse......almost wonder what took us so long. :D While I hesitate to say never again right now I can't think of any circumstances that would take us back to the big mass market ships anytime soon.

But what about the possibility of trying another luxury line so that you can widen your knowledge in the luxury sector?

We have sailed larger ships mainly due to the fact that we usually cruise with our 3 children. Due to their ages , we have found that that children's clubs offer some quality "adult time " which is nice.

We have sailed on the Celebrity Xpedition in Galapagos , which has 96 passengers max , and we quite enjoyed it. ( Again with our children).

Usually we take 2 international vacations a year , one with the children ( a mix of cruise and land) and a land trip just with hubby and me.

We quite like more personalized , smaller venues . When we travel alone , we tend to stay at unique properties. Food is important , but we are not " food obsessed" ( itinerary is more important).

I am currently looking at Silversea , Oceania , Seabourn , and Azamara for our jaunt to the Med. We could also get a Neptune Suite on the Ryandam ( Holland) , which is what we did on our June cruise to Alaska. The space is very nice. It is not at the too of my list , but the price and itinerary are attractive , so..

I am really enjoying all the comments here! Would love to hear more!

But what about the possibility of trying another luxury line so that you can widen your knowledge in the luxury sector?

We are not opposed to trying any of the luxury lines. We seriously considered trying Seabourn next year and found an itinerary that was pretty good. Somehow, I think I got volunteered by Mrs. K, I was appointed the cruise researcher for three couples. Balancing work schedules, ports/destinations, etc., etc., has turned out to be like herding cats. What started out as a "just find us all a great cruise" has turned out to be a lot like work. :eek::)

We are not opposed to trying any of the luxury lines. We seriously considered trying Seabourn next year and found an itinerary that was pretty good. Somehow, I think I got volunteered by Mrs. K, I was appointed the cruise researcher for three couples. Balancing work schedules, ports/destinations, etc., etc., has turned out to be like herding cats. What started out as a "just find us all a great cruise" has turned out to be a lot like work. :eek::)

Rule 1: never look for cruises for other people outside your family:D

They are big enough and ugly enough to do it for themselves.

Rule 1: never look for cruises for other people outside your family:D

They are big enough and ugly enough to do it for themselves.

No kidding. :D Guess I won...or lost depending on your point of view....because I'm semi-retired while the others are all working. It's been fine, after I got all the requirements and limitations.

Edited by Randyk47

Try them all so that you really know what suits you.

Oceania and Azamara are not luxury lines but good in the premium sector.

If we had the time , that would be a fine plan! [emoji6][emoji6]

We still must consider our work schedules and kids... So we take full advantage of our free time.

I have been reading about the more formal atmosphere of SS in contrast to the more casual ambience if Seabourn and SeaDream. In some comments on the ither boards , SS was described as " stuffy"... I always take these comments with a grain of salt . Could you elaborate on the differences

?

We do enjoy interacting with other passengers .

We still must consider our work schedules and kids... So we take full advantage of our free time.

I have been reading about the more formal atmosphere of SS in contrast to the more casual ambience if Seabourn and SeaDream. In some comments on the ither boards , SS was described as " stuffy"... I always take these comments with a grain of salt . Could you elaborate on the differences

?

I did try the other "luxury" lines and stayed with SS. Have not sailed SeaDream - not the style of sailing that appeals to me. However, I'd never describe SS as "stuffy" - the atmosphere is certainly not Carnival, but it is very relaxed and friendly IMO. The dress code - formal nights - suggested for some voyages may deter - but it's one of the reason it appeals to me. I live in southern California and it's hard enough to find some degree of civility these days. It's a real pleasure to spend an occasional evening all dressed up with someplace to go....

We have been to Athens , Santorini , Sorrento and Rome. Would like to spend some land time in Istanbul. Do not mind repeating previously visited ports , as we have only viaited them as cruise ports and would love to explore further.

I did try the other "luxury" lines and stayed with SS. Have not sailed SeaDream - not the style of sailing that appeals to me. However, I'd never describe SS as "stuffy" - the atmosphere is certainly not Carnival, but it is very relaxed and friendly IMO. The dress code - formal nights - suggested for some voyages may deter - but it's one of the reason it appeals to me. I live in southern California and it's hard enough to find some degree of civility these days. It's a real pleasure to spend an occasional evening all dressed up with someplace to go....

Dressing up is not " stuffy". I have no problem with that and neither does my husband. I assume a nice cocktail dress would be fine with proper accessories?

... Just came back from a trip to CA ( i grew up in Northern CA). We had a lovely time in Tomales Bay and San Francisco.

The relaxed and friendly atmosphere is what we enjoy. Sounds like a good fit.

?

I can't compare to Seabourn and SeaDream but we've not found Silversea to be stuffy and certainly not in the sense of the interaction amongst the passengers. We have thoroughly enjoyed the company of and have made new friends with people from literally all over the world. We've found the broader international makeup of the passengers to be entertaining, educational, and a highlight of our Silversea cruises. I suppose, having also read some of the comments and reviews of the other lines, that Silversea might be slightly more formal in terms of dress code but I'd be hesitant to call it stuffy.

Edited by Randyk47

Personally, I prefer the Spirit's itinerary. I strongly suggest that you stay at least two nights in Istanbul..three would be better. Do consider staying at the Four Seasons in the old quarter. It is an incredibly restored prison and probably the best hotel in which we've ever stayed. At night the terrace bar on the roof has views which will knock your socks off.

I also like this itinerary because of Ephesus. If you've never visited you'll be in for an amazing, absorbing, experience. All the other ports are very good too, although we've never been to Philippi....so if you do wind up choosing this cruise, please let us know how you enjoyed it.

Now for snootiness...we just haven't experienced it...ever. These are well traveled, interesting people who must not feel the need to prove anything. After all, we come together to learn, to exchange ideas and to just have fun. After almost 20 years of SS traveling...so far, so very good.

At least two nights in Istanbul are absolutely certain. Thank you for the hotel suggestion - it sounds just perfect!

Which part of the Spirit's itinerary do you prefer? Both the Cloud and Spirit include Kusadasi , I am sure it will be a highlight!

All of the wonderful comments are really making me excited about the possibility of sailing SS. Now I must introduce the idea gently to DH. We have been thinking of a land trip in Morroco. But now I am sold on this idea :)