Using Turkish Air from Spain?

M5M

I've read through several pages of posts and found lots of good suggestions for our post-cruise time in Spain next May. Now I'm trying to consider air options to return to Texas, probably to Houston even though Dallas is closer.

Turkish Air has absolutely the best price for a one way (we're transatlantic) airfare. So am I missing something with this plan:

Disembark, spend 3 days in Barcelona.

Train (likely) to Madrid, another 3-4 days.

Turkish Air Madrid to Istanbul, 2-3 days (we've been there several times)

Turkish Air Istanbul to Texas.

The price is half to 1/3 of other air carriers. Suggestions welcome, however, as it seems counter-intuitive to fly east to go west!

Suggestions welcome, however, as it seems counter-intuitive to fly east to go west!

So many people say this. Here's my perspective. My home airport is YQB (Quebec City). This means that, every time I have flown to Europe, I have flown West, to YUL or YYZ, before flying East across the ocean. At the end of the day, it's just a connecting flight - it really doesn't matter what direction you're flying, as long as the pilot knows :D.

As it so happens, just booked YQB-YUL-IST-BCN on AC/Turkish Airlines in business class (using my Aeroplan miles) for next summer. I'm already craving the mint lemonade... :)

There are many variables here. I have even been able to get better one way fares very close in sometimes.

Turkish is a great airline and the facilities at Istanbul are excellent and I have on several occasions connected on long-haul flights through Istanbul, usually with a one or two night stay. They have been competing with these great one way fares for a few years now.

Depending on which cruise line you are flying with you may be able to book through their air sea department and get a good fare. For instance, you can fly American either by booking AA or Iberia or Finnair codeshares on the same flight from Madrid direct to Dallas for around $500+ one way with RCL site Air2Sea.

• 3 weeks later...

Turkish Air is one of our favorite airlines. We have done comfort class and economy and enjoyed their flights even if we had to go out of the way and made connections. They still give out amenity kits and menus even in economy and their meals are quite good! And yes, don't forget to ask for their home-made lemonade.

The extra security checks at Istanbul airport is the only draw back.

We just took Turkish Air biz class from Houston to Istanbul and thought it was very nice. Seats pretty comfortable, food delicious and service pleasant and attentive. We then used them to go to/from Cappadocia and then on to Casablanca. Their "lounge" in Istanbul is reason enough for you to fly them --specious with a library, wide selection of food, grand piano, , large luggage storage area and two light and airy levels.ImageUploadedByForums1445438507.021574.jpg.364959e8085196ed4e8ccb1cb72d900b.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1445438436.682953.jpg.68e0ca66a79acc4144fa84c302264095.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1445438456.633645.jpg.918d9e4f1765f749914908a25da537b8.jpg

We also chose Turkish Airlines because the price could not be beat for next summer. We are flying into Barcelona and out of Rome using their new route from Atlanta. There will be no lounge for us though since we will be in Economy but I am looking forward to the experience.

We flew Turkish air out to Istanbul from Manchester (UK) about a month ago to join a cruise. There was plenty of legroom (that was on short haul economy), full meal service and complimentary drinks provided as standard.

The flight was arranged by our cruise line (VOD), who have a contract with the Star Alliance Group. Turkish Airlines are a member of the Star Alliance Group of airlines which include KLM, Air France and many others.