Beginner Snorkeler

crisp1

We'll be on the 7 day PG Society island cruise. I have never been able to get my wife to join me snorkeling in the Caribbean. Is there any place I would have an easier time convincing her to try it- calm water/ snorkeling from a beach in relatively shallow water

Huahine, Taha'a, Bora Bora and Moorea

Thanks

We'll be on the 7 day PG Society island cruise. I have never been able to get my wife to join me snorkeling in the Caribbean. Is there any place I would have an easier time convincing her to try it- calm water/ snorkeling from a beach in relatively shallow water

Huahine, Taha'a, Bora Bora and Moorea

Thanks

I havent been to as many places in this area as a lot of folk on here but I can say from personal experience, that snorkeling in the sea from the Intercontinental at Bora Bora, is perfect for a beginner. The water is very shallow, calm ,warm and they have placed a coral garden attracting loads of beautiful fish. It's so shallow you can put your feet down if you wish. We had a day pass last year and are planning to do the same on our up coming cruise this year. It was the best experience for someone like myself who although I've snorkeled on quite a few occasions, I'm not too keen on being in strong current or deep water.

They used to have lessons at Motu Mahana for beginners.

Huahine has some pretty bad currents so she would need to be a strong swimmer.

The Sofitel in Moorea has a very calm beach for snorkelling.

Even if she doesn't snorkel she can still look down and enjoy the fish.

I am not an experienced snorkeler and snorkeled three times on the Society Islands cruise.

The first was on a private shore excursion, they had life jackets and the water was calm. I had a great time and only got out as I was getting cold. I did a drift snorkel and it was amazing. The second was at Motu Mahana where they provided a life belt and the water was calm. Not as good as using a life jacket. The third time was also with a belt but the water was very choppy and I was having a hard time keeping myself in a position that I wasn't getting water in my snorkel. Again I think if I had a jacket instead of a belt it would have worked out well.

If she can get a life/snorkel jacket she'll have a great time.

They used to hand out flotation vests, optionally, on the ship when you get your snorkelling gear. Perhaps someone could confirm they still do this.

I vote for Motu Mahana--they used to provide a beginner's snorkel on the motu day--again, perhaps someone can confirm they still do this.

On the motu, as long as she has reef shoes, she should be able to just paddle around well within her depth and get a feel for it, with you at her side. No need for fins at that point, unless she gets more confident and wants to go out into deep water.

They didn't have beginners snorkel on my cruise, but the water there was calm so it would have been super easy to figure it out in shallow water. They told me they didn't offer life vests for snorkel anymore when I asked. Unfortunate as I'm sure I am not the only person who feels much more confident wearing one while snorkeling.

They didn't have beginners snorkel on my cruise, but the water there was calm so it would have been super easy to figure it out in shallow water. They told me they didn't offer life vests for snorkel anymore when I asked. Unfortunate as I'm sure I am not the only person who feels much more confident wearing one while snorkeling.

Oh, that is unfortunate. Guess it's easy to buy one, but still.

I am a little miffed that PG do not give out life vests like they did on our first experience in 2014. I am much more confident to snorkel with one . I will have to purchase one myself before leaving if this is the case. I have my own mask and mouth piece....I guess that's another thing to pack !! Do they still give out fins !!

They gave out fins but ran out of several sizes before everyone got them in our cruise. I got the last pair in my size (men's 8) and my husband got the last pair in his size which was a men's 11 or 12. There were at least a dozen people behind us who were left with either two sizes too large or small, and they weren't at all happy about it. Add in the 20% or so of passengers joining the ship that evening just before sailing...

The sad thing is that many people never even used theirs. Why they would take them if they had no intention of using them is beyond me. :(

I am a little miffed that PG do not give out life vests like they did on our first experience in 2014. I am much more confident to snorkel with one . I will have to purchase one myself before leaving if this is the case. I have my own mask and mouth piece....I guess that's another thing to pack !! Do they still give out fins !!

I agree, they should make them available. I'm not sure they were on our September 2014 cruise--I didn't see any and was not offered one--I just assumed you had to ask. I don't usually need one, although I actually could have used one this last trip.

I rarely use the fins, unless I'm on a drift snorkel excursion or something. Snorkelling close to shore, I just wear my water shoes, I find them less clumsy.

• 2 weeks later...

Taha'a is the perfect place for a beginning snorkeler. I'm a diver but DH is not....but when we got to Taha'a, the water was perfect and he really enjoyed finally putting his face in the water. It's shallow but interesting. He had a great time....but he DID bring his own floatation vest and mask/fins/snorkel. The entire cruise on the Paul Gauguin was one of my all time favorites! I still remember that awesome crab salad they served on board!