New Cruiser Questions

dzarr9

New cruiser here!

I did the Disney cruise when I was young with family. I am now older and going on Enchantment of the Seas in May with my significant other. I am curious just about the overall process of things, looking for tips, etc.

What happens before you get on the boat? What's the process like? Any tips on this?

Is it worth it to get the alcohol packages? Considering we would be off the boat days, is it worth it to have the package even if we don't use it for two days?

What about food and water - I've read mixed things on this; some people say they've gotten stuff on board, but I've read with Royal Caribbean that they don't allow this stuff.

We are celebrating a birthday and anniversary - any tips? I was thinking of ordering a cake, bring decorations aboard and hanging them up, and bringing cards along with me to put on his pillow everyday as a surprise. I was also thinking breakfast on our balcony as well.

Is there any tips people have regarding the cabin? I've read to bring magnets, air fresheners, etc. I'd love to hear what people that to say!

Thanks so much!

By "before you get on the boat" I presume you mean arriving at the port and the process from there. If you have your checked luggage with you, you will turn them over to the porters who send them on the way to your cabin. You keep any carryon as long as they will fit thru the security scanner like the one at the airport. You then go to checkin. There may be separate lines for people with priority and without. Cruise line staff will direct you. When you get to the front of the line, you meet with the check in personnel. They will check your boarding pass and call up your info. They will check your documents. They will give you a card that will be your ID to get off and on the ship, your room key and the credit card for charging anything on the ship. If you are early, you will be direct to a waiting area. When it is time to board, the ship photographer will take your picture.

Value of beverage plans vary depending on the individual. Best it to estimate what and how much you will drink and get the prices.

New cruiser here!

I did the Disney cruise when I was young with family. I am now older and going on Enchantment of the Seas in May with my significant other. I am curious just about the overall process of things, looking for tips, etc.

What happens before you get on the boat? What's the process like? Any tips on this?

If you mean at boarding, you get to stand in a line, hand over a credit card and passport [or perhaps other ID depending on where cruise is to and from] and have a photo taken.

Then you get to board and start partying till the spoil sports call for muster drill.

Is it worth it to get the alcohol packages? Considering we would be off the boat days, is it worth it to have the package even if we don't use it for two days?

Drinks packages always depend on how much you drink, for me a must have, for the bride usually a waste of money.

What about food and water - I've read mixed things on this; some people say they've gotten stuff on board, but I've read with Royal Caribbean that they don't allow this stuff.

Getting food on shouldn't be a problem, off may be a problem, depending on port.

We are celebrating a birthday and anniversary - any tips? I was thinking of ordering a cake, bring decorations aboard and hanging them up, and bringing cards along with me to put on his pillow everyday as a surprise. I was also thinking breakfast on our balcony as well.

Sounds lovely, any meal on the balcony is hard to beat.

Is there any tips people have regarding the cabin? I've read to bring magnets, air fresheners, etc. I'd love to hear what people that to say!

WE don't take any of that stuff, but it is horses for courses what suts someone else may not suit you.

Thanks so much!

You're welcome.:D

It's just like checking into a hotel... Not a big deal at all.

The "packages" will depend on you...how much you drink daily....

You may bring food/water....don't know why, but you certainly can! There's plenty of both onboard! And, you're paying for it....eat their food! The water on the ship is fine...after all, your food, drinks and ice are made from the ship's water!

We're not into the "decorating" for special occasions....if you are...more power to ya! I think the cruise itself is more than enough!

It's just like checking into a hotel... Not a big deal at all.

The "packages" will depend on you...how much you drink daily....

You may bring food/water....don't know why, but you certainly can! There's plenty of both onboard! And, you're paying for it....eat their food! The water on the ship is fine...after all, your food, drinks and ice are made from the ship's water!

We're not into the "decorating" for special occasions....if you are...more power to ya! I think the cruise itself is more than enough!

We are big candy fanatics - was just thinking of having cards and candy each day. It is a 30th birthday, our anniversary, and we also are long distance due to work and college, so it's a big deal for us since it'll be the start to our summer together! I'm not one for emotions and big gestures, so I was surprised to come up with the idea of decorations. LOL. They may get kicked out of my suit case to make more room for clothes and shoes! :D

We are big candy fanatics - was just thinking of having cards and candy each day. It is a 30th birthday, our anniversary, and we also are long distance due to work and college, so it's a big deal for us since it'll be the start to our summer together! I'm not one for emotions and big gestures, so I was surprised to come up with the idea of decorations. LOL. They may get kicked out of my suit case to make more room for clothes and shoes! :D

For sake of caution, make sure the candy is still in its packet. It probably won't be a problem if it's not I just believe in being extra cautious and I have heard of some people having problems, I don't really understand why they should unless you are taking it off.

Always remember some ports are strict on what food you can take off the ship.

Most of all enjoy the celebrations.

Hi dzzar9. Welcome! :)

Re decorations, if luggage is not an issue, ie you don't have restrictions from the flight then I say go hard! I had the solar lights strapped around our balcony railing & they were just magic every evening. As we were on a Chrissy cruise I also had a pop up Chrissy tree that lit up, parents wrappedand enough expanding tinsel decorations to fill a warehouse (well maybe a cabin ;))!!!

Your cruise sounds fabulous. Somewhere on this board someone had wiped up a spreadsheet costing their drinks. You will probably average 3 - 4 drinks aday on port days and around 6-7 on sea days. These may not necessarily be alcoholic :D, it depends if you are happy with the free lemon cordial and tea / coffee provided.

I brought my own teapot plunger and loose leaf tea. Life's too short to drink yuk tea bags just because they are free ;)!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary. I would book one of the specialty restaurants for this celebration.

Just because you are going to be off the ship a couple of days doesn't mean you can't use your drink card those days. You will be coming back for dinner -- drinks then -- also after dinner drinks.

Thank you thank you! I like the idea of the lights - sounds very cool! I also think I will definitely be purchasing a drink package with alcohol features. It does seem to make sense. Thanks everyone for you input! :)

Hi- Are you going to Nassau and Coco Cay? Do you plan to do excursions in Nassau?

Yes! Not sure what just yet - I am a little chicken about the water - swimming, etc, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! I'm also looking for restaurant suggestions off the boat! :)