Which Skagway Excursion?

cruisecrazybmore

Trying to decide between two excursions on RCCL in Skagway:

Kroschel Wildlife Refuge

White Pass Railroad and Alaskan Dog Sled Experience

I enjoy nature, animals, and photography.

Opinions?

We did the White Pass Railroad with the Rain Forrest hike (6.2 miles). The tour was great. The Rain forrest was amazing. The hike was strenuous, but we managed well.

I have read mixed reviews about the dog sled experience.

We did the White Pass Railroad with the Rain Forrest hike (6.2 miles). The tour was great. The Rain forrest was amazing. The hike was strenuous, but we managed well.

I have read mixed reviews about the dog sled experience.

I'll see if they are offering something similar. That sounds nice!

Here is a link to some of the pictures

https://markandkarenalaska2011.shutterfly.com/pictures/81

Those are beautiful!!

I didn't find an excursion with the hike, but did find one with a bike ride down from White Pass summit. Leaning towards that one I think.

There are just way too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them all!

Those are beautiful!!

I didn't find an excursion with the hike, but did find one with a bike ride down from White Pass summit. Leaning towards that one I think.

There are just way too many things I want to do and not enough time to do them all!

I wouldn't do the bike ride. I used to bike a lot and after seeing this, I wouldn't do it. Cars and busses buzz by at 50 plus MPH.

Most people have time in Skagway to do 2 different excursions. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Have you looked into Glacier Point Wilderness Safari?

Kroschel Wildlife Refuge

Opinions?

/

The dog sled ride is usually on a dirt trail not on the snow. I'm sure the kids will like it but it is not a true snow experience. I always use Chllkoot tours in Skagway for the 9 hr train/van ride. It is a wonderful train/museum/lunch and ride back to Skagway tour. And less money than the ships price. Plus there are a lot less people in the small vehicle they use than the ships transportation will have. Whatever you decide too do, you are in for a fabulous time in beautiful Alaska. And no, I do not work for Chilkoot.

Edited by dustyroad

I wouldn't do the bike ride. I used to bike a lot and after seeing this, I wouldn't do it. Cars and busses buzz by at 50 plus MPH.

Most people have time in Skagway to do 2 different excursions. One in the morning and one in the afternoon. Have you looked into Glacier Point Wilderness Safari?

Ah. Good to know about the bike ride. Shame as I really enjoy biking and haven't been able to do it since moving to the city. Shame.

It seems all the excursions I want to do in the morning get back too late to do anything in the afternoon. I saw the Safari excursion but think it will be too cold in May to canoe.

/

The dog sled ride is usually on a dirt trail not on the snow. I'm sure the kids will like it but it is not a true snow experience. I always use Chllkoot tours in Skagway for the 9 hr train/van ride. It is a wonderful train/museum/lunch and ride back to Skagway tour. And less money than the ships price. Plus there are a lot less people in the small vehicle they use than the ships transportation will have. Whatever you decide too do, you are in for a fabulous time in beautiful Alaska. And no, I do not work for Chilkoot.

I'll check out Chillkoot tours. Since becoming a solo cruiser, I tend to prefer ship based excursions but someone on my roll call is doing one of their excursions so good chance I wouldn't be the only one from the ship.

Ah. Good to know about the bike ride. Shame as I really enjoy biking and haven't been able to do it since moving to the city. Shame.

It seems all the excursions I want to do in the morning get back too late to do anything in the afternoon. I saw the Safari excursion but think it will be too cold in May to canoe.

I'll check out Chillkoot tours. Since becoming a solo cruiser, I tend to prefer ship based excursions but someone on my roll call is doing one of their excursions so good chance I wouldn't be the only one from the ship.

I do understand that many cruisers feel more comfortable going on the ships tours. But I always did my tours with Chillkoot in Skagway. I did not want to be on a bigger bus with that many passengers getting on and off getting back to Skagway. Also I felt I was supporting the local vendors in the area. This is their bread and butter for income and they are very trust worthy and I had no miss-haps. I went by my self on 3 of my Alaska cruises and made many friends on my tours that were not with the ship. That included Ketchikan and Juneau as well. You should feel comfortable in your choices so you will have a wonderful time. Happy cruising and welcome to single cruising.

Edited by dustyroad

We did the Chilkoot Yukon tour ten years ago and have signed up to do it again this June. Best price and as pointed out way less people, even the train car was half full while the one booked through ships were packed. We visited the dog sled place and it is on dirt but fun for kids. Van tour on way back was very nice, plenty of stops for pics along the way.

Enjoy!

Chillkoot will take good care of you. I have also sailed to Alaska as a solo and can tell you Alaska is one of those places where I have felt incredibly safe.

I get the ship's tours in some ports but in Alaska - I feel completely safe with private tours. These companies are well known in Alaska, cater mostly to cruisers and really care about their reputation. They will go above and beyond for you.

On our most recent trip, we went on a tour with Dyea Dave. We were lucky to have Dave as our driver, and he's quite the character. We went into the Yukon past Carcross to Emerald Lake. And, since no one on our tour needed to rush back to Skagway, we got to spend extra time in Carcross, and added an extra stop at Michelle Phillips' sled dog camp.

The small bus has one major advantage over the train - the ability to stop. Twice we pulled off the road to photograph a bear. If we were on the train, we would have just gone flying by, lol. I understand taking the train if you are a train enthusiast, but otherwise I tend to prefer the flexibility of a small group on a mini bus (which also happens to be a lot cheaper). Many of the bus vendors (Dyea Dave included) can also work with you if you want to take the train one way and the bus the other.

On our most recent trip, we went on a tour with Dyea Dave. We were lucky to have Dave as our driver, and he's quite the character. We went into the Yukon past Carcross to Emerald Lake. And, since no one on our tour needed to rush back to Skagway, we got to spend extra time in Carcross, and added an extra stop at Michelle Phillips' sled dog camp.

The small bus has one major advantage over the train - the ability to stop. Twice we pulled off the road to photograph a bear. If we were on the train, we would have just gone flying by, lol. I understand taking the train if you are a train enthusiast, but otherwise I tend to prefer the flexibility of a small group on a mini bus (which also happens to be a lot cheaper). Many of the bus vendors (Dyea Dave included) can also work with you if you want to take the train one way and the bus the other.

I looked up images of Emerald Lake and it looks beautiful!! I feel like I might have to do Alaska again. Once just isn't going to be enough!

I looked up images of Emerald Lake and it looks beautiful!! I feel like I might have to do Alaska again. Once just isn't going to be enough!

Chilkoot tours will do a train/small bus combo that stops at Emerald Lake!

Though you are right, once isn't enough.

Edited by Coral

Chilkoot tours will do a train/small bus combo that stops at Emerald Lake!

Though you are right, once isn't enough.

So they do! I was looking at one of their tours as someone on my roll call is using them. The tour they are going on goes to Emerald Lake. Definitely leaning towards it now! AND I get to play with husky puppies ;)

The only way I'll get to go back is to not take a vacation for ~2-3 years or get another future cruise credit to cover a lot of the cost. :( Or make more money :p

So they do! I was looking at one of their tours as someone on my roll call is using them. The tour they are going on goes to Emerald Lake. Definitely leaning towards it now! AND I get to play with husky puppies ;)

The only way I'll get to go back is to not take a vacation for ~2-3 years or get another future cruise credit to cover a lot of the cost. :( Or make more money :p

Alaska is expensive. Though - I have no interest in the Caribbean anymore. Given a choice, Alaska always wins.

See as much as you can on the trip you know you will be on!

Kroschel Wildlife Refuge

Opinions?

We'll be in Skagway in early June and have decided to do the Kroschel tour on our own. We're spending a week on land before the cruise and are taking three trips on dome trains, so we didn't want to spend more time on a train. We decided we wanted to do a private tour at Kroschel, which you can't do on the ship's excursion. We're taking the fast ferry (near the cruise ship dock) to Haines, renting a car there and driving about 30 minutes to Kroschel. We'll return to Skagway on the fast ferry in time to do some shopping, etc. There are three of us and doing a private tour on our own is about $30 more pp than the ship's excursion and we're getting a private tour. Sorry that I can't comment on the tour from personal experience at this point, but Kroschel gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor.

1. Is that your cat in the Avatar - so cute. (I have a Tonk & she looks similar.)

2. I did not take the RR - not my thing, but I did take a car to the Yukon (So I saw some of the same scenery) & it is awesome. (Not much in the way of animals - Dall sheep that looked tinier that the eagles that reminded me of golf balls in trees.) We used Beyond Skagway with Becky & Becky stopped whenever I asked. She even backed up when I saw a wildflower that I wanted to photograph.

7376374522_193da80e1a.jpgDSCF8210 by Amy S, on Flickr

3. I'm already thinking about a 3rd trip to AK just so I can go to Kroschel Wildlife Center! (Our next AK cruise will not stop in Skagway or Haines - 14-nights with 8 wonderful ports of call, so I'm ok with missing Skagway.) Don't tell my husband.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

1. Is that your cat in the Avatar - so cute. (I have a Tonk & she looks similar.)

2. I did not take the RR - not my thing, but I did take a car to the Yukon (So I saw some of the same scenery) & it is awesome. (Not much in the way of animals - Dall sheep that looked tinier that the eagles that reminded me of golf balls in trees.) We used Beyond Skagway with Becky & Becky stopped whenever I asked. She even backed up when I saw a wildflower that I wanted to photograph.

7376374522_193da80e1a.jpgDSCF8210 by Amy S, on Flickr

3. I'm already thinking about a 3rd trip to AK just so I can go to Kroschel Wildlife Center! (Our next AK cruise will not stop in Skagway or Haines - 14-nights with 8 wonderful ports of call, so I'm ok with missing Skagway.) Don't tell my husband.

I love the flower. It is beautiful!!

We'll be in Skagway in early June and have decided to do the Kroschel tour on our own. We're spending a week on land before the cruise and are taking three trips on dome trains, so we didn't want to spend more time on a train. We decided we wanted to do a private tour at Kroschel, which you can't do on the ship's excursion. We're taking the fast ferry (near the cruise ship dock) to Haines, renting a car there and driving about 30 minutes to Kroschel. We'll return to Skagway on the fast ferry in time to do some shopping, etc. There are three of us and doing a private tour on our own is about $30 more pp than the ship's excursion and we're getting a private tour. Sorry that I can't comment on the tour from personal experience at this point, but Kroschel gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor.

That sounds awesome! I wish I had more time in Alaska but unfortunately can only take so much time off during "prime vacation time" which is May 15th - September 15 :(

1) Yes. Unfortunately she died this past year. She was a rather old girl though with a nice long life.

2) Nice picture! Very nice of them to stop and back up for you! That's my kind of tour for sure!

3) Sounds like another trip will definitely be order! Just too much to see for one trip!