New to Princess with questions- appreciate any and all assistance!

kmorg1234

Hi, we are about to board the Crown Princess for the Scandinavian cruise, and have a few questions which I cannot find the answers to. This group seems like a knowledgeable and kind bunch, so I am hoping someone has the experience to answer the following:

-Does anyone know exactly which of the 3 cruise ports the Crown docks in while in Oslo? They have varying distances to the city center, and would like to plan transportation based on where we "land."

-In Bruges: are there taxis readily available at the port? Or is it an easy walk into town? From what I've read, it appears that transportation is needed, but have not seen it expressed explicitly. We do not mind a brisk walk, but are wondering exactly how far it is. If no taxis, does anyone know of the easiest way to get to the City Center of Bruges?

-Regarding the soda package/AIBP: does Princess supply purchasers of these plans with a cup, as RCI does? Or is it just a sticker, and I would need to bring my own insulated cup if I want one?

-Booking the Sanctuary on a Northern European cruise: have any of you done this on a "colder climate" cruise? Is it worth it? If so, how early do I have to board the ship in order to have the best chance of getting a seat? Do suite passengers have priority?

-What is the electrical voltage in the cabins? Is it the European or US current? And What are the plug receptacles in the rooms- US, British, other European, or a combination?

Thanks in advance for any help. We are so excited for this trip!

Edited by kmorg1234
Have additional query.

-Booking the Sanctuary on a Northern European cruise: have any of you done this on a "colder climate" cruise? Is it worth it? If so, how early do I have to board the ship in order to have the best chance of getting a seat? Do suite passengers have priority?

-What is the electrical voltage in the cabins? Is it the European or US current? And What are the plug receptacles in the rooms- US, British, other European, or a combination?

I've booked the Sanctuary in colder climes. Almost no one books it so you won't have a problem. Attendants will bring you blankets and position your lounger so it's protected from the wind. No one gets priority whether they are Elite or booked in a full suite. Only ship that I know of that gives any priority is the Island Princess in the Panama Canal for those in the Fiesta deck aft balcony cabins because the ship's lines are attached to the tractors and the balconies are unusable.

The Crown has two 110V 3-prong grounded outlets at the desk. There's a combination 120/230 outlet in the bathroom rated for shavers or low voltage only.

e32e1cd579a49121387446959d59a8c9.jpg

d0e587305ad92ec39f2ad9762a785c59.jpg

There are other outlets behind the TV and another under the bed. The one behind the TV is a US 110V.

Pam, Thank you so much for the information. Very interesting about the Panama Canal! Still thinking about the Sanctuary- sounds lovely for some peace and quiet, but don't want to freeze. Might be the last minute decision.

Pam, Thank you so much for the information. Very interesting about the Panama Canal! Still thinking about the Sanctuary- sounds lovely for some peace and quiet, but don't want to freeze. Might be the last minute decision.
One option you'll probably have is to book the Sanctuary for the cruise and select "your" lounger and then be charged only for the half or full day you use it. I've done that on port-intensive or colder weather cruises. The benefit is that you can choose the location you want.

Hi, we are about to board the Crown Princess for the Scandinavian cruise, and have a few questions which I cannot find the answers to. This group seems like a knowledgeable and kind bunch, so I am hoping someone has the experience to answer the following:

-Does anyone know exactly which of the 3 cruise ports the Crown docks in while in Oslo? They have varying distances to the city center, and would like to plan transportation based on where we "land."

-In Bruges: are there taxis readily available at the port? Or is it an easy walk into town? From what I've read, it appears that transportation is needed, but have not seen it expressed explicitly. We do not mind a brisk walk, but are wondering exactly how far it is. If no taxis, does anyone know of the easiest way to get to the City Center of Bruges?

-Regarding the soda package/AIBP: does Princess supply purchasers of these plans with a cup, as RCI does? Or is it just a sticker, and I would need to bring my own insulated cup if I want one?

Thanks in advance for any help. We are so excited for this trip!

Some answers

The ship docks at Zeebrugge which is 19 km from Bruges city center. Believe there are shuttles at the port as well as taxis.

The Soda & More package comes with 16 oz plastic tumbler with plastic straw. You do not need the tumbler to get soda. In fact it is cumbersome to carry around. The AIBP does not come with a tumbler.

Thank you as well, Sknight- I like the insulated tumblers on the hot weather cruises, but agree they can be cumbersome otherwise. But good to know what to expect. As for Bruges, good to know we have options- rather go on my own timeframe than to rely on an "excursion". I like wandering around without worrying about holding anyone else up- I despise being "that" person or family.....

Some answers

The ship docks at Zeebrugge which is 19 km from Bruges city center. Believe there are shuttles at the port as well as taxis.

At Zeebrugge, you are not allowed to wander from the ship to the dock gate. I think this is due to Shipping Container Trucks traffic, however there is a "Free of Charge" shuttle just to the docks gate building, the service is run by the port authority. Cruise lines also run shuttles and you would need to check what Princess is doing here in terms of where you are deposited and the cost. I have only been to Zeebrugge on P&O cruises. Should you take the free shuttle to the dock gate, when you alight turn right and walk along the main road past the Lightship museum and Submarine museum and you come to a bus stop (200 yards). Often they put a gazebo type tent here to shelter in while waiting for the bus. A guy takes your fare, credit cards accepted for the shuttle on his hand held electronic unit. The bus takes you to the bus station in town from where you walk through the park to the commercial shops etc. area. Return journey is from same drop off location just look for the bus with the same signs on it. Transit time is 20/30 mins and frequency 30/40mins. There is also a train option at this port which I have never used as the shuttle bus seems ok but dearer than the train.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Bruges is a magical town and well worth the visit . Our first time there we took a ships excursion that was a walking tour with a boat ride and some free time (never enough!). The second visit we shared a pre-arranged taxi with two people on our roll call, which worked out great.

I remember the taxi being on the expensive side even splitting it, but Northern Europe is pricey.

Suggest you go on the Europe boards to research if you want info on public transport. I always find the various posters there, some of whom are locals, to be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Coca Cola tumbler image shown by easyboy in post #7 is no longer provided. For the past few years Princess has been providing a plastic glass type tumbler with straw similar to the ones shown on this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+tumbler+with+straw&rlz=1C1GYPO_enUS755US755&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHmseK1tbVAhUJRyYKHViVDiYQsAQIdA&biw=1355&bih=927

The Coca Cola tumbler image shown by easyboy in post #7 is no longer provided. For the past few years Princess has been providing a plastic glass type tumbler with straw similar to the ones shown on this site:

https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+tumbler+with+straw&rlz=1C1GYPO_enUS755US755&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHmseK1tbVAhUJRyYKHViVDiYQsAQIdA&biw=1355&bih=927

You are right sknight. I picked up the previous tumbler for the photo shot. This is the current tumbler we got at Crown last March 2018. Thanks for noting it.

1c111accf5bf0eb349a2f1976637bc24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

KMORG: not sure if you have the soda package OR the AIBP. The above tumblers are given for the soda package; the AIBP does not include a cup/tumbler (at least as of May 2017) but the plan does include ALL beverages $10. and under. There are no longer stickers on the cards but programmed into the card.

Thanks, all! Very helpful info. SO and I have the AIBP and son has the soda package. Guess I'll bring insulated cups for sodas by the pool. And did look on the European ports boards- lots of info there too, but cold not find much for Helsingborg. Guess we are winging it..... but that has its own charm!