Queen Victoria - Customer Service and awareness not good

Thameside

Hi Salacia

I see where the confusion has come from. "Readies" is just a term for cash in the UK, there is no implication of a bride. (For example, if someone says "They need to get some readies" it just means they want to visit the hole in the wall (ATM) to get some cash out). It's just another word for cash.

Salacia obviously says tomato. vive la différence!

Regarding the ESTA which used to be free and now costs $14, $10 of which seems to ge directly to the US travel industry.

A nice little earner for the travel industry what what?

David

The advice on the Indian High Commission website states that there will be a central postage application service based in London. It is just that the new centres or the High Commission will not deal with postage applications. This does appear to conflict with a Daily Telegraph report.

The website URL is:

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/postalapplication.html

I may be wrong but I don't think this applies to regular visas. This is from the indian consulate web site.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

All applicants are required to fill the valid online visa application form through the authorized website (http://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in) and lodge their applications with our sole service partner M/s VF Services UK. High Commission of India and the Consulates will not be responsible for transactions made with any other websites or agents. For more information please visit http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk

Welcome to the Visa Wing of the High Commission of India, London.

The High Commission of India, London accepts visa applications only through VF Services UK Ltd.

The High Commission of India, London and Consulate General of India, Birmingham and Edinburgh have outsourced their visa services to the external service provider M/S VF Services UK Ltd.

For more information please check link http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk.

Only Diplomatic/Official/UN passport holders and applicants seeking Emergency Visa may approach the High Commission directly.

David.

I may be wrong but I don't think this applies to regular visas. This is from the indian consulate web site.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

All applicants are required to fill the valid online visa application form through the authorized website (http://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in) and lodge their applications with our sole service partner M/s VF Services UK. High Commission of India and the Consulates will not be responsible for transactions made with any other websites or agents. For more information please visit http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk

Welcome to the Visa Wing of the High Commission of India, London.

The High Commission of India, London accepts visa applications only through VF Services UK Ltd.

The High Commission of India, London and Consulate General of India, Birmingham and Edinburgh have outsourced their visa services to the external service provider M/S VF Services UK Ltd.

For more information please check link http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk.

Only Diplomatic/Official/UN passport holders and applicants seeking Emergency Visa may approach the High Commission directly.

David.

Re Indian Visas: for UK residents

From Travel Mole

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?

ABTA complaint over India's new visa system

ABTA is making an official complaint to the Indian High Commission over changes to its visa system.

All visa applicants will now need to book online for an individual appointments at one of the centres, with effect from March 14, 2015.

Only one person is allowed per appointment so for family applications, each member will have to book a separate appointment.

The High Commission of India in London has outsourced its visa process to VFS and said that biometric data collection, including fingerprint data and facial imagery, will be a mandatory requirement for all visa applicants soon.

ABTA head of destinations and sustainability, Nikki White, said to the Telegraph: "We are writing to the Indian High Commission expressing our concern about the short notice given concerning this change to visa requirements, requesting that they either reconsider or delay its introduction.

"We are also expressing our concerns about the requirement for individual family members to book separate appointments which could cause considerable unnecessary inconvenience and have the unintended consequence of discouraging travel to India."

The High Commission stated on its website: "All Visa , Passport, OCI, Consular Services at VFS Application Centres in London (Goswell Road, Paddington and Hounslow), Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool, Bradford, Newcastle, Belfast, Cardiff, Bristol, Glasgow and Leicester will be granted on the basis of appointments only."

It added that there will be no extra cost for the biometric testing, saying that the VFS fee would be slightly less than the current one with the actual visa fee collected by the Indian government remaining the same.

Agents said that the new measure would severely impact India's tourism and asked for common sense to prevail.

Roy Wills said: "The £100 visa fee for UK visitors to India is already a deterrent and, if clients have to travel long distances to be fingerprinted, they are just going to decide it's too much trouble. And who could blame them?"

A spokesman for the Indian High Commission said: "Those who have not travelled but have the visas before 16 March don't have to come back to us. They can travel without their biometrics.

"However, those who have made an appointment on or after 16 march will have to go to VFS in person for visas. Their biometrics may not be taken as there could be some overlapping period so that the applicants get used to the new system.

"The new changes will in fact streamline the system so that the applicants will know what time they have to go the VFS centre and the waiting time is minimal. It will not be detrimental to India's tourism as we believe that the numbers will not decrease.

"As for the family members visiting the centre together, while taking the appointment, there is a short window of time during which appointments of all family members can be taken.

"However, the appointment system is dynamic and online and if that particular slot is taken by someone while the other applicant is online, the particular slot may not be available to a family member.

"We have told VFS to accommodate such requests of family members of visa cases wherein they can be present at the centre together."

Monday, February 23, 2015c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~_rn~Ad~A&w_id=10697&news_id=2015539

Edited by Pennbank

It seems to me that a $14 ESTA fee is minimal, especially when compared with the £100 Indian visa. I have no problem paying a small amount. It is just one of the costs of travel. However, I do think the Indian visa fee is extortionate, especially as some people may choose to stay on the ship and not even get off.

Hi Salacia

I see where the confusion has come from. "Readies" is just a term for cash in the UK, there is no implication of a bride. (For example, if someone says "They need to get some readies" it just means they want to visit the hole in the wall (ATM) to get some cash out). It's just another word for cash.

So when I entered Jordon (at Amman airport), I had to purchase a Jordanian Entry Visa. And they won't accept credit cards so you actually have to pay in Jordanian Dinars. I even had to wait quite a while until the immigration officer found me some change. Then he stamped my passport with said visa to say I'd paid.

So no bride. I had to pay for a Jordanian visa in just the same way as paying for an ESTA.

Toad.

Thanks, Mr. Toad, I understand now. But if Jordan sells Entry Visas once you've already arrived in Jordan, that doesn't seem like much of a security check. My understanding - and please correct me if I'm mistaken - is that you have to apply in advance with payment for an ESTA to the US so a security check can be made in advance - so, if that's the case, it's not quite the same process as a Jordanian Entry Visa as I see it. Cheers, -S.

Well, you do have to apply in advance of an ESTA, that is true. The first time I did it, it was click, click, enter payment, done. It was instant. The second time, it was click, click, enter payment, refused/checking and then 2 minutes later I had an email saying it was all okay.

So I can't quite see exactly what checks they do. In the UK, you can have something called a CRB check (it now called a DBS check). One type costs £26 and takes 2 weeks another (enhanced version) costs £44 and takes 4 weeks. This is a check of your criminal records, should you have any of course !

So in the UK, if someone (say for a job) wants a criminal records it will take at least 2 weeks, so there is no way the US Government in my opinion can check a UK citizens's criminal record in an instant. Which leads me to conclude they don't check anything, they just remove $14 from your wallet.

TWO HOURS!! thats pretty tough, I can appreciate them letting the excursions off first and don't have a problem with that, but was it Cunard or the Port Authorities creating the holdup?

There have been threads on here in the past about immigration hold ups by the US authorities especially in Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles so it sounds like a good idea to organise ship excursions or transfers to at least facilitate a quicker exit.

Still if you arn't aware of it in advance I can understand it being a bit annoying at the time. Hope the rest of the trip was relaxing....

roscoe

This is what we like about the Celebrity Eclipse. No waiting for others to leave the ship. The excursions leave at the same time as all the pax. Never had any delays getting off for either an excursion, or to do our own thing. I understand issues with tenders, but the Eclipse always seems to get pier side.

Salacia obviously says tomato. vive la différence!

Regarding the ESTA which used to be free and now costs $14, $10 of which seems to ge directly to the US travel industry.

A nice little earner for the travel industry what what?

David

No, I pronounce it 'tomato'.;)

Lots of things used to be free. For example, years ago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art had free admission, plus as a student when I was in Grammar School, I had a pass for free public transportation. So, I spent many happy hours in that museum at no cost. Now, admission for adults has risen to 25USD, and public transportation costs keep rising.

$25 dollars for admission to a museum that used to be free, and $14 dollars for an ESTA that was also free in the past. It is the here and now we need to deal with, and we have a choice as to where and when to spend our money and, even more precious - our time.

Cheers,

Salacia

This is what we like about the Celebrity Eclipse. No waiting for others to leave the ship. The excursions leave at the same time as all the pax. Never had any delays getting off for either an excursion, or to do our own thing. I understand issues with tenders, but the Eclipse always seems to get pier side.

See my previous post #41

The issue was with US immigration and NOT Cunard ;)

... The first time I did it, it was click, click, enter payment, done. It was instant. ... In the UK, you can have something called a CRB check ... This is a check of your criminal records, should you have any of course ... So in the UK, if someone (say for a job) wants a criminal records it will take at least 2 weeks, so there is no way the US Government in my opinion can check a UK citizens's criminal record in an instant. Which leads me to conclude they don't check anything, they just remove $14 from your wallet.
I have to agree, even allowing for the two weeks delay (in being checked out) being down to the slow and creaking vast bureaucratic machine of pen-pushing civil servants taking their time about things...

Twice I've applied for an ESTA, both times I was approved instantly (less than three seconds), which means no checks are done at all. Unless one is stopped boarding the 'plane or ship on the day of departure (after checks have been done), this is a $14 tax to enter the Land of the Free*.

Best wishes :)

(*terms and conditions apply).

Edited by pepperrn

It seems to me that a $14 ESTA fee is minimal, especially when compared with the £100 Indian visa. I have no problem paying a small amount. It is just one of the costs of travel. However, I do think the Indian visa fee is extortionate, especially as some people may choose to stay on the ship and not even get off.

ESTA does not equal to a VISA.

I have to get a US Visa every 10 years and have to pay around GBP 100,-- for it - (my passport is not EU).

ESTA is an additional charge for people who don't need a Visa to travel the USA.

ESTA does not equal to a VISA.

I have to get a US Visa every 10 years and have to pay around GBP 100,-- for it - (my passport is not EU).

ESTA is an additional charge for people who don't need a Visa to travel the USA.

Indeed. I too used to have a US visa which lasted for 10 years (it's now run out). My company paid for it at the time because there was a chance I was going to the US for some work.

But an ESTA is just a tax. $10 for it goes to the US tourist department, and $4 is no doubt used for admin of the web site, costs involved in collecting the payments etc. They don't do any checks at all.

For example, years ago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art had free admission...

$25 dollars for admission to a museum that used to be free

In the UK it's gone the other way. The majority of museums were free (well, the big London ones) and then an admission charge was brought. Visitor numbers then fell and so in the end the fee was scrapped and those big museums. Visitor numbers then rocketed.

The thing is, in the UK, we have an expression "it's not the money, it's the principle" and it's a belief that's very wildly held. i.e. it's not that I can't afford $14 for an ESTA, but why should I pay in the first instance ?

No, I pronounce it 'tomato'.;)

Lots of things used to be free. For example, years ago, the Metropolitan Museum of Art had free admission, plus as a student when I was in Grammar School, I had a pass for free public transportation. So, I spent many happy hours in that museum at no cost. Now, admission for adults has risen to 25USD, and public transportation costs keep rising.

$25 dollars for admission to a museum that used to be free, and $14 dollars for an ESTA that was also free in the past. It is the here and now we need to deal with, and we have a choice as to where and when to spend our money and, even more precious - our time.

Cheers,

Salacia

It is free - all you have to do is to tell the cashier that and they will give you a pin. The museum strong arms you into thinking that you have to pay, but you can actually get in for free or give them whatever you want. I believe free admission is specified in the documents establishing the Metropolitan Museum, but others may know more about it than me.

It is free - all you have to do is to tell the cashier that and they will give you a pin. The museum strong arms you into thinking that you have to pay, but you can actually get in for free or give them whatever you want. I believe free admission is specified in the documents establishing the Metropolitan Museum, but others may know more about it than me.

From their website:

Terms and Conditions: Advance tickets to The Metropolitan Museum of Art allow the visitor to avoid waiting in admission lines to the Museum. Tickets include admission to all special exhibitions. Visitors may have to wait in other lines within the Museum, including coat check or entrance to special exhibitions.

By agreeing to purchase these tickets in advance and online, you are agreeing to pay the full recommended admission of $25 for adults, $17 for senior citizens (65 and older) and $12 for students. If you would like to pay less than full recommended admission, please go directly to The Metropolitan Museum of Art to pay as you wish. Advance reservations required for all adult and student groups of 10 or more, and for any third-party guided tours regardless of size.

That is a seriously sneaky trick. It begs the question : What's more weasely than a weasel ? The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Partial quote

...That is a seriously sneaky trick. It begs the question : What's more weasely than a weasel ? The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Actually, it's kind of like Cunard's automatic Hotel and Dining charge which can be removed if requested.

Seems like there are more than a few weasely charges which people can weasel out of :eek::)

I have to agree, even allowing for the two weeks delay (in being checked out) being down to the slow and creaking vast bureaucratic machine of pen-pushing civil servants taking their time about things...

Twice I've applied for an ESTA, both times I was approved instantly (less than three seconds), which means no checks are done at all. Unless one is stopped boarding the 'plane or ship on the day of departure (after checks have been done), this is a $14 tax to enter the Land of the Free*.

Best wishes :)

(*terms and conditions apply).

Pepper, I'm not certain that just because an ESTA was approved within seconds "no checks are done at all" as you suggested. An approved ESTA is not a guarantee for entry into the US as has been mentioned. Is it not possible that a security check is run up to the time of entry?

According to a former assistant secretary for Policy at the Department of Homeland Security "...While VWP “waives” the face-to-face consular interview, it mandates more pertinent security screening requirements such as the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). ESTA enables individualized pre-travel and recurrent screening of VWP travelers against multiple law enforcement and security databases, including the Terrorist Screening Database and INTERPOL’s Stolen and Lost Travel Document database. This process not only functions as a more powerful tool than the consular interview but, since the screening is done before departure, VWP essentially pushes out the virtual border, preventing those posing a threat from being able to board a plane..." -quoted from http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/homeland-security/227741-visa-waiver-program-is-critical-to-national-security

There is controversy regarding the ESTA program, and I understand there are those who want to eliminate it entirely. I'm certainly no security expert, and I don't know enough about the program at this time to take a position one way or another. But I am glad the topic has been brought up because it is something we all need to consider carefully.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Chunky. Happy to read that you avoided the $14 charge for an ESTA and enjoyed the "more pleasant airport under the purview of the Chinese".

But frankly, I don't understand why you would be "tickled to no end by the idea that an ESTA is America's Achilles heel and a terrorism risk". Why the idea that terrorism risk is increased "tickles you" is disconcerting. Is it perhaps motived feelings of revenge since you connected your displeasure with current ESTA with the IRA decades years ago?

I am reminded of various of this quote from several sources, but most frequently associated with M.K. Gandhi:

“An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind”

Considering your viewpoint, I can't help but agree that you are right in not spending any time or money getting an ESTA for visiting the USA. Please continue to travel to those countries you feel more pleasant such China; vote with your feet.

Salacia

Wow, how far is it possible to misinterpret a point of view and then twist it inside out? No wonder so many of you folks get such a bad reputation around the rest of the world.

Just to get some facts straight - I object to paying for an ESTA to transit an airport. It is nothing more than a money making scam (my opinion, not a fact, but I'll happily accept any reasonable justification for such madness). Furthermore, I've had experience of LAX, (in fact my first time was the day before thanksgiving just after 9/11) and in terms of experience for the traveller I'll recommend Hong Kong over LAX all day long. You might have the best baseball teams in the world but your airport experience leaves a lot to be desired.

As for your misconstruing my thoughts about terrorism let me let you in on a little story. A few days after 9/11 we were treated on a UK political debate TV programme to a lecture by the US ambassador about the importance of pulling together to defeat terrorism. One of the audience politely pointed out to him that over 3000 people had been killed during the so-called "troubles". We had major atrocities in Manchester, Warrington, London, Birmingham and a dozen other places while so-called "political refugee" bombers and murders were sitting pretty in the US and millions of $ of fund raising by Noraid was fuelling the terror and paying for Libyan supplied semtex. But I guess one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

I take no joy in the present situation. I'm off to one of the UK's major shopping centres later today and will be in and out quickly with a wary eye all the time. We avoid the place around Christmas because it is repeatedly identified as a prime target.

I suspect you and I are never likely to become bosom buddies or see things the same. Your loss.

p.s. My daughter will be in New York next month. I hope the price of her ESTA will keep her safe.

p.p.s. You can get into all of our public museums for free. V&A, Natural History, Science, et al. That's something else we ought to be charging tourists for.

Edited by Chunky2219
afterthought