Queen Victoria - Customer Service and awareness not good

Thameside

We disembarked from the Queen Victoria at Fort Lauderdale on Monday after completing the first leg of her world voyage and I experienced so many problems during just 13 days. Most of the problems could have been handled so much better with good customer service training. I have found staff generally much better on most other cruise lines. We travelled Princess Grill and that part of the product other than the poor cabin condition was very good.

They don't seem to be able to get customers on or off the ship whether it's embarkation, disembarkation or tendering at ports. They always have plenty of excuses and don't tell you the whole truth. The biggest problem seems to be making sure that the tour groups booked with them take absolute priority when things are running late, to the cost of everyone else.

I will save my observations for other posts, but am happy to answer any questions you might have if you are joining the ship soon. I know you Cunard lovers will be fast to defend them but as the last Cunard person I spoke to in the arrivals hall at Fort Lauderdale said to me, after standing in an immigration queue, with my baggage, behind the tours for the day, for more than two hours if you don't like our rules don't use Cunard again.

YOU CAN BE SURE OF THAT

I'd be interested to hear of any cruise line that given the circumstances doesn't offer a priority to guests booked on ship's excursions.

Having said that I would say that, more often than not, when using a tender with Cunard there have been more than one tender departure point.

As regards your statement..."after standing in an immigration queue, with my baggage, behind the tours for the day..." then I'm afraid you need to take a broader perspective of the real world.

Are you seriously suggesting Cunard negate an additional service that guests have paid for and would therefore attract 'genuine' criticism?

This topic may be worthy of its own thread...

We are traveling in PG on QV in April and will be disembarking the ship at FLL. ...

I hate standing in lines. We have US passports and use Global Entry when flying back into the country.

We will be through customs before 11:00 AM?

Unfortunately, there is no global entry at the cruise ports. It would be very expedient if they did, think of all the passengers you could deal with rapidly.

There is a web site for the Everglades Port Authority that lists what ships will be arriving each day in Ft Lauderdale. It is really bad when there's a dozen ships, never enough customs and immigration staff to handle all those ships, more so as they get larger and larger. Checking the web site may give you an idea of how busy they will be.

And for those critical of U.S. Customs, I agree to a large degree. But having traveled in Britain extensively, I think they are even more security conscious than the U.S. and flying out of Heathrow is much more complicated than flying out of a U.S. airport.

I didn't think they let you into the US if you don't have an ESTA ? (not the bit of paper of course).

But ESTAs are just another money making scheme. I really does seem as if the Americans don't want anyone to come to the USA.

Cracking post that. But I guess I know you are 'avin a laugh.

On the subject of costs I wouldn't suppose you would compare the cost of a U.S. ESTA (Visa) with the cost of a similar entry into Vietnam. I did last November.

The U.S. ESTA costs a quarter and lasts for 2 years as opposed to 30 days for Vietnam.

And having recently transited through Los Angeles to join a cruise I have nothing but high praise for Homeland security.

From the time of crossing the aircraft threshold, taking about a 10 minute walk to immigration, using their new ESTA holder Passport reading machines, collecting luggage, meeting hotel transfer agent to leaving the car park, a remarkable 30 minutes dead.

In my experience that can only be matched by Singapore.

Unfortunately, there is no global entry at the cruise ports. It would be very expedient if they did, think of all the passengers you could deal with rapidly.

There is a web site for the Everglades Port Authority that lists what ships will be arriving each day in Ft Lauderdale. It is really bad when there's a dozen ships, never enough customs and immigration staff to handle all those ships, more so as they get larger and larger. Checking the web site may give you an idea of how busy they will be.

And for those critical of U.S. Customs, I agree to a large degree. But having traveled in Britain extensively, I think they are even more security conscious than the U.S. and flying out of Heathrow is much more complicated than flying out of a U.S. airport.

Well said Dancer.

I just wish we in the UK had the level of entry security that the U.S. does.

On the subject of costs I wouldn't suppose you would compare the cost of a U.S. ESTA (Visa) with the cost of a similar entry into Vietnam. I did last November.

The U.S. ESTA costs a quarter and lasts for 2 years as opposed to 30 days for Vietnam.

Yes but there is no cost for a US passport holder to enter UK.

David.

Yes but there is no cost for a US passport holder to enter UK.

David.

I was about to say that very thing but you beat me to it.

An ESTA is not a Visa (as Richard seems to think). It's an Visa waiver, i.e. the the bit of green cardboard that you used to fill in with a pen.

What it is is a tax on entering the US. Of course I know plenty of other counties have the same thing. For example, a few years ago I flew to Jordan for business. I had to buy a "visa" to enter Jordon at Amman airport. All I had to do was hand over some readies. Visa ? If you say so Richard.

An ESTA is not a Visa (as Richard seems to think). It's an Visa waiver, i.e. the the bit of green cardboard that you used to fill in with a pen.

What it is is a tax on entering the US. Of course I know plenty of other counties have the same thing. For example, a few years ago I flew to Jordan for business. I had to buy a "visa" to enter Jordon at Amman airport. All I had to do was hand over some readies. Visa ? If you say so Richard.

Hi Toad of Toad Hall. From what I have read, you are correct that ESTA is a visa waver.

However, ESTA is was not simply a "tax on entering the US" and I don't see a comparison between buying a 'visa' to enter Jordan as you mentioned. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but clearly we disagree.

You might be happy to know that some policy makers in the USA are advocating that ESTA be discontinued. Here are three very different sources for reference, if interested:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgianne-nienaber/terror-vwp_b_5745050.html

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/usa/after-paris-attacks-calls-to-tighten-us-visa-rules-1.1449957

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/16/lawmakers-fear-us-visa-program-could-be-exploited-by-foreign-fighters/

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

However, ESTA is was not simply a "tax on entering the US" and I don't see a comparison between buying a 'visa' to enter Jordan as you mentioned. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but clearly we disagree.

To many countries visas are a money making racket as anyone on the World Cruise would agree I think. I may be wrong but weren't ESTAs free originally.

Charging £9 for one, £18 for a couple wouldn't stop me taking a TA but if I had to shell out for a full visa every time I entered US I don't think I would be the only one declining.

I can't see the difference basically between paying for a visa of for a visa waiver.

The connection is plainly obvious to me.

David.

This covers the ESTA application quite well.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/esta-usa-visa

ESTA applications have a $14 fee attached to them - that's a hefty $56 for a family of four.

Four dollars covers the ESTA administration and, rather bizarrely, $10 goes to a fund to promote US tourism – ironic as perhaps a better way to promote US tourism would be not to charge people who want to visit.

This isn’t a visa charge for entry, it’s a charge for getting permission to attempt to enter the country. (Incidentally, most US visitors to the UK don’t have to pay anything)

David.

Personally, Queen Victoria is my favourite of all the ships. I have travelled on her 8 times in the last 4 years. The staff are very friendly. Quite a few of them recognise me and greet me with a smile and sometimes a hug. The staff at the Purser's desk are generally new but they have always been extremely helpful. I have always heard that QV is the best of the three when it comes to staff morale and friendliness.

I was on a TA in 2010 and expected long delays in NY immigration after reading about it on this board. However, we sailed right through. The lines were short and the time was minimal. I could not have been happier. As for Heathrow, I have encountered long lines there but never what I think of as rudeness, even when I have forgotten that I had eye drops in my bag and they were picked up on the scanner :eek:. It would not worry me to have someone shouting out a reminder to take liquids out of bags. It saves a lot of time if people do it ahead of time (as I generally do ;) ) rather than waiting until they reach that tiny belt. I don't think abruptness and a desire to speed things up should be confused with rudeness.

The refit seems to have been public areas, carpets and some painting along with the new single cabins and sun canopies on deck 12.

Excuse me going slightly off topic here, but are the sun canopies you mention, on the Grill's deck? Do you, or does anyone else have any pictures of these please?

Excuse me going slightly off topic here, but are the sun canopies you mention, on the Grill's deck? Do you, or does anyone else have any pictures of these please?

There's a video of the refit here:

Splitting hairs Old Boy.

You knew exactly what I meant.

Hi Toad of Toad Hall. From what I have read, you are correct that ESTA is a visa waver.

You might be happy to know that some policy makers in the USA are advocating that ESTA be discontinued. Here are three very different sources for reference, if interested:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgianne-nienaber/terror-vwp_b_5745050.html

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/usa/after-paris-attacks-calls-to-tighten-us-visa-rules-1.1449957

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/16/lawmakers-fear-us-visa-program-could-be-exploited-by-foreign-fighters/

Regards,

Salacia

Nicely put Salacia.

I think Toad is having a bit of a 'croak' at the United States.

All fascinating stuff of course: spend thousands of pounds cruising across the atlantic then moan at $14 cost for two year entry.

8431233901_80ed413d48_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We took a tour in FLL on this cruise and it took almost 2 hours to get through immigration. We left the Queens room at 8:15 and were finally seated on the coach at 10:15, hardly preferential treatment by Cunard.

We did hear of staff taking up to 4 1/2 hours to complete immigration.

Hi Captiveguru. I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that weather and sea conditions, unforeseen ship events and an altered itinerary in addition to other factors such as how many ships will be in port that day are factors. Just as no one can forecast if their plane will land on time, no passenger can predict so far in advance what time they will clear US Customs, as recent events prove.

I hope it works out well for you. Best suggestion I have is to follow this forum since many generous passengers on board take the time (and expense) to keep us updated. Cheers, S.

I understand that the start of debarkation can be delayed by many factors. My questioned assumed the ship docked on schedule. Sounds like getting through immigration could take quite a long time.

Hi Captiveguru. I've only disembarked in Florida once after a QM2 cruise. Immigration was not the biggest time delay. It seems to me that the infra-structure of that port is ill-equipped to handle the multiple hordes of passengers that disembark from ships, especially considering the new mega ships doing the ever popular Caribbean routes that are based there. I doubt many ports could handle that passenger load any better - nevertheless, it is a port I hope to avoid until such time as improvements are made. But if I do find a need to use that port, I will book a local hotel for both the night prior to embarkation and the night of disembarkation just to avoid unpleasantness. -S.

.......................However, ESTA is was not simply a "tax on entering the US" and I don't see a comparison between buying a 'visa' to enter Jordan as you mentioned. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but clearly we disagree........................

Sadly, I too have a less than positive perspective on this.

In 2012, we were flying to New Zealand and one of the options was with Air NZ - Heathrow to Auckland with a stop to re-fuel in LA. Same aircraft, we didn't even need to change planes. I was amazed, disappointed and more than a little miffed to find that we would have needed cough up for an ESTA to enjoy the delights of LAX for a couple of hours. In the end we went via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific and cruised through a much more pleasant airport under the purview of the Chinese.

Looking at one of your links, I'm, tickled no end by the idea that an ESTA is America's Achilles heel and a terrorism risk. In 20 years of travelling over the pond, long long before 9/11, when half the IRA were getting glad handed in Boston and Washington and raking in massive donations it was ever the same - I found US immigration to be wholly out of kilter with the rest of the free world.

...Looking at one of your links, I'm, tickled no end by the idea that an ESTA is America's Achilles heel and a terrorism risk. In 20 years of travelling over the pond, long long before 9/11, when half the IRA were getting glad handed in Boston and Washington and raking in massive donations it was ever the same - I found US immigration to be wholly out of kilter with the rest of the free world...

As a US citizen I'd have to agree. We have a steel door at our airports and a screen door everywhere else.

For so called "closed loop" cruises - those starting and ending at the same US port - one can sail on only a birth certificate. Since these are issued by various state and county governments there is no standardization of their design and can easily be faked with minimal knowledge of Photoshop.

The cruise industry fought hard for this exemption. Why? You might not believe how many Americans refuse - and vehemently refuse - to get a passport. When you're spending $299 for a 7-day Caribbean the $135 fee seems like a lot of money and when one is accustomed to ordering things online a visit to a post office is a hassle. "My government says I can travel like this without a passport and I'm not going to spend that money" is a typical argument.

And I'll stop myself before starting a rant on what is going on down at our Mexican border.

Politicians are the same the world over. Securing one's country is not nearly as important as securing one's re-election.

It seems that now, to obtain an indian visa in UK we will have to go in person to an office as no postal applications are possible from March.

And of course you still need one if you stay on the ship. Brilliant.

VFS will be opening 14 application centres across UK for the convenience of applicants for Visa, OCI, Passport and other consular services. 10 offices will be operational from 2nd March 2015 and remaining 4 offices will be operational from 14 March 2015.

VFS will introduce Online Appointment System for all services for the convenience of the applicants across the UK. All applicants will be required to book an appointment online to submit their applications at the respective India application centres, as per the jurisdictions below. No applications via post will be accepted at High Commission of India, and its respective consulates in Birmingham and Edinburgh or at the Applications Centres managed by VFS across UK from 14 March 2015.

It seems that now, to obtain an indian visa in UK we will have to go in person to an office as no postal applications are possible from March.

And of course you still need one if you stay on the ship. Brilliant.

VFS will be opening 14 application centres across UK for the convenience of applicants for Visa, OCI, Passport and other consular services. 10 offices will be operational from 2nd March 2015 and remaining 4 offices will be operational from 14 March 2015.

VFS will introduce Online Appointment System for all services for the convenience of the applicants across the UK. All applicants will be required to book an appointment online to submit their applications at the respective India application centres, as per the jurisdictions below. No applications via post will be accepted at High Commission of India, and its respective consulates in Birmingham and Edinburgh or at the Applications Centres managed by VFS across UK from 14 March 2015.

The advice on the Indian High Commission website states that there will be a central postage application service based in London. It is just that the new centres or the High Commission will not deal with postage applications. This does appear to conflict with a Daily Telegraph report.

The website URL is:

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/postalapplication.html

Sadly, I too have a less than positive perspective on this.

In 2012, we were flying to New Zealand and one of the options was with Air NZ - Heathrow to Auckland with a stop to re-fuel in LA. Same aircraft, we didn't even need to change planes. I was amazed, disappointed and more than a little miffed to find that we would have needed cough up for an ESTA to enjoy the delights of LAX for a couple of hours. In the end we went via Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific and cruised through a much more pleasant airport under the purview of the Chinese.

Looking at one of your links, I'm, tickled no end by the idea that an ESTA is America's Achilles heel and a terrorism risk. In 20 years of travelling over the pond, long long before 9/11, when half the IRA were getting glad handed in Boston and Washington and raking in massive donations it was ever the same - I found US immigration to be wholly out of kilter with the rest of the free world.

Hi Chunky. Happy to read that you avoided the $14 charge for an ESTA and enjoyed the "more pleasant airport under the purview of the Chinese".

But frankly, I don't understand why you would be "tickled to no end by the idea that an ESTA is America's Achilles heel and a terrorism risk". Why the idea that terrorism risk is increased "tickles you" is disconcerting. Is it perhaps motived feelings of revenge since you connected your displeasure with current ESTA with the IRA decades years ago?

I am reminded of various of this quote from several sources, but most frequently associated with M.K. Gandhi:

“An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind”

Considering your viewpoint, I can't help but agree that you are right in not spending any time or money getting an ESTA for visiting the USA. Please continue to travel to those countries you feel more pleasant such China; vote with your feet.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hi Mr. Toad. Requesting clarification of your post because perhaps I misunderstood: when you handed over 'some readies' at the Amman airport, I took that to mean you paid a bribe, and you made a comparison with entering the US. Did you gain entry to the US by paying a bribe at the airport? Or are you saying that applying for an ESTA to the US is the same as handing over a few readies at the airport? Thanks, - Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hi Mr. Toad. Requesting clarification of your post because perhaps I misunderstood: when you handed over 'some readies' at the Amman airport, I took that to mean you paid a bribe, and you made a comparison with entering the US. Did you gain entry to the US by paying a bribe at the airport? Or are you saying that applying for an ESTA to the US is the same as handing over a few readies at the airport? Thanks, - Salacia

Hi Salacia

I see where the confusion has come from. "Readies" is just a term for cash in the UK, there is no implication of a bride. (For example, if someone says "They need to get some readies" it just means they want to visit the hole in the wall (ATM) to get some cash out). It's just another word for cash.

So when I entered Jordon (at Amman airport), I had to purchase a Jordanian Entry Visa. And they won't accept credit cards so you actually have to pay in Jordanian Dinars. I even had to wait quite a while until the immigration officer found me some change. Then he stamped my passport with said visa to say I'd paid.

So no bride. I had to pay for a Jordanian visa in just the same way as paying for an ESTA.

Toad.