Suit cases?

Commando? Please, if you have to, only on P&O Australia and Carnival in Orstralia, what would the Cunarders and P&O UK'ers say about us Colonials ? They already have a go at us for wearing our cruise cards around our necks.

Back to the topic, my ports have wheels, they will do. Old Antlers, lasted us 10 years. Quality.

Yep good ports them Antlers.

I want a trunk.

I KNEW you'd say something like that! :D :D :D

I hope I'm not becoming predictable.

I know I'll think of something nice to say about Mrs Gut

Nope not working.

Well, you should if you're planning any cruises that will also involve air travel. Weight is important, y'know. Men should also consider brands and styles of underwear suitable for cruising. I noticed when DH was doing some shopping recently, that Jockey have a Sport range that is lightweight and quick drying. ;) :D

Swimmers are the trick when travelling, they wear well and wash well.:D

Commando? Please, if you have to, only on P&O Australia and Carnival in Orstralia, what would the Cunarders and P&O UK'ers say about us Colonials ? They already have a go at us for wearing our cruise cards around our necks.

Back to the topic, my ports have wheels, they will do. Old Antlers, lasted us 10 years. Quality.

I have Antlers as well, half shells.:D

Haha all this talk of underwear and going commando reminds me of the time I was inspired by this ad. I went to school and announced that I was wearing 'no knickers'.

LOl, I hope you didn't have to prove it to the teachers.:eek:

I hope I'm not becoming predictable.

I know I'll think of something nice to say about Mrs Gut

Nope not working.

Come on now, what about those five wonderful years of marriage to her?

(Just dont mention the other thirty years!)

Haha all this talk of underwear and going commando reminds me of the time I was inspired by this ad. I went to school and announced that I was wearing 'no knickers'.

I remember girls doing that at school too.

Haha I can't remember the teachers saying anything, but I remember some pretty shocked reactions from my friends.

LOL, there were always a few girls who displayed or rather didn't display the latest fashions at the time.

What ever case you buy there are pros and cons for hard or soft, we have tried them both, :)

but make sure they have four wheels this makes it so much easier to get around long lines and street, pier and airport walks, and the collapsible handle makes it easy to swap from 4 wheels to 2 wheels, stuff trying to carry a 30KG bag,

Each case will have its own initial starting weight which you will have to add to the total weight if you take it on a plane,

dont just expect that your cases will last forever , they will get damaged , and wheels wear out and fall off under the weight, especially the way my missus packs.

I currently favour soft cases because they have lots of external pockets to put things in, and easy to get into at airports etc.

I have a carry on bag with shoulder straps and wheels and collapsible handle, thats under the airlines size restrictions, that I pack all MY breakables into and bubble wrap them , carrying the carry on bag on your shoulders makes it much easier to drag a case behind you but after a few trips you will work out what works best for you, before your trip go to the airport and observe what cases people have and what problems they have. Also add ribbons or something to your bag to make it stand out so some one does not pick it up by mistake, recently I saw a sticker on a case that said "this bag does not belong to you"

Edited by 6666oz

Men should also consider brands and styles of underwear suitable for cruising. I noticed when DH was doing some shopping recently, that Jockey have a Sport range that is lightweight and quick drying. ;) :D

Nope I throw mine away while cruizing, saves weight for more duty free :eek:

What ever case you buy there are pros and cons for hard or soft, we have tried them both, :)

but make sure they have four wheels this makes it so much easier to get around long lines and street, pier and airport walks, and the collapsible handle makes it easy to swap from 4 wheels to 2 wheels, stuff trying to carry a 30KG bag, ....

We much prefer the two wheeled bags as the wheels are a little larger and though not the spinner type are much easier if dragging over uneven ground, for example over cobblestones. On the other hand the 4 wheel spinner cases are easy to move around airports etc. though they don't wheel on just two wheels particularly efficiently IMO.

The OP is probably not going to need to lug the luggage across anything too uneven so that advantage of 2 wheels possibly is not an issue.

Nope I throw mine away while cruizing, saves weight for more duty free :eek:

Are they lead lined? Reg Grundies weigh next to nothing, at least mine do and I take enough enough so that I can change them every day and wash them when I get home.

Are they lead lined? Reg Grundies weigh next to nothing, at least mine do and I take enough enough so that I can change them every day and wash them when I get home.

RIP Reg, he always sounded kind of proud that undies were called after him.

We much prefer the two wheeled bags as the wheels are a little larger and though not the spinner type are much easier if dragging over uneven ground, for example over cobblestones. On the other hand the 4 wheel spinner cases are easy to move around airports etc. though they don't wheel on just two wheels particularly efficiently IMO.

The OP is probably not going to need to lug the luggage across anything too uneven so that advantage of 2 wheels possibly is not an issue.

I agree with you on the 2 wheel vs 4 wheel argument, I have found two wheeled bags last much longer and are easier over rougher paving and such.

I take swimmers when travelling as they wear better and dry easier once washed. Depending on the trip, I will take one for each day for a small trip or weekend, but only take 4 for anything longer, wear one, wash one, two spare.

Are they lead lined?

Only the ones I wear when I go through the airport x-ray scanner :rolleyes:

Reg Grundies weigh next to nothing

Not quite, I have shown pictures about this before, a pack of 10 from Big W weigh 480 grams, a 1L full bottle of duty free whisky is 1.6 KG, so got to sacrifice some thing when packed close to weight limit to get that duty free in, so the Grundies gotta go. :D

Edited by 6666oz

I take swimmers when travelling as they wear better and dry easier once washed. Depending on the trip, I will take one for each day for a small trip or weekend, but only take 4 for anything longer, wear one, wash one, two spare.

Seriously OT here (not in the least related to which luggage is best) MrAF has jocks that are light weight and easy to wash and dry (Jockey dry mesh). The advantage is that they are lighter than bathers as bathers have lining inside.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Seriously OT here (not in the least related to which luggage is best) MrAF has jocks that are light weight and easy to wash and dry (Jockey dry mesh). The advantage is that they are lighter than bathers as bathers have lining inside.

I have told DH! :)

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on what sort of suit cases might be better for a cruise? We do have suitcases of course, but they're fabric sort, I was wondering if it might be better to buy the hard sort? Or does it really matter what sort of suitcase you take?

so far.......touch wood.... the cruiselines have handled my bags way better than the airlines!!!!!!

we have softsided ones, but good quality. Antler and American tourister. 4 wheel ones much easier to handle especially if you have more than one bag to manage.

cheers

Belinda