Pre-Cruise Hotel (POM) for mom-daughter

MustBCruzn

My daughter (24) and I will be arriving in Miami 2 days early for our Jan 2, 2016 cruise on the Reflection. I'm hoping you folks could recommend a hotel in a decent area (walkable for dining, etc.). I certainly don't want to say "price doesn't matter" since some of the prices I've seen cause chest pain :p but I do want to make sure we're in a relatively safe area for exploring a bit, dining, last minute shopping and the like. Thoughts/ideas? Thank you all in advance. :)

Keep in mind prices will be high because you are talking about the night of New Years Eve to check in.

With that said look into:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Hamton Inn (Brickell)

Marriott Brickell

Holiday Inn Bayside

Conrad Hilton

Hyatt

Keith

Keep in mind prices will be high because you are talking about the night of New Years Eve to check in.

With that said look into:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Hamton Inn (Brickell)

Marriott Brickell

Holiday Inn Bayside

Conrad Hilton

Hyatt

Keith

Thank you Keith, that's a huge help. You're right about the date...it didn't even register with me when I saw the great price for the cruise and jumped on it! Between the hotel prices and the overpriced airfare, it's not the bargain I thought I had. But hey, it's a cruise! :)

I would add the Doubletree to Keith's list of downtown hotels and also would encourage you to consider staying in either South Beach or the Coconut Grove area of Miami - both can be more fun than downtown.

We really enjoy staying downtown for a night pre-cruise. That being said, the last time we cruised out of Miami we arrived 2 days ahead of time and stayed downtown. We ended up spending more of our time in South Beach and would look to stay over there should we arrive with that much time again.

As Keith1010 mentioned, my choice would be the Hampton Inn Brickell, due to its closeness to downtown, nice 'village' atmosphere and lots of eateries.

You can take the (free) Metromover over to Bayfront Park and Bayside in about 10 minutes max and is just a block away. It's about 2 miles to the port.

Mary Brickell Village is a quaint up n coming area for many people who live and work in the financial district (a block away on the other side). I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn since I live in Miami but everyone who's stayed there really liked it and it includes free hot breakfast and has a pool (not that you'll need one in January). If I needed a place to stay near the port, that's where I'd stay.

I would suggest Coral Gables. It is the nicest, safest neighborhood in Miami. Lots of shops and dining within walking distance. Ortanique and Pasquals are two of my favorites.

Downtown will be crazy NYE with the ball drop and all the parties. It will be a blast if that appeals to you.

Coral Gables:

Biltmore

Westin

St. Michel

Hyatt

I love Coconut Grove! Cocowalk and the shops surrounding it are really great plus the neighborhood is gorgeous! I love sitting on the water at Montys, Chart House, or Montys and eating!

Coconut Grove

Doubletree

Courtyard Marriott

South Beach will be crazy expensive. I'd probably skip it unless you really want to go.

Oh downtown will be fine.

You don't have to be out late until you ring in the new year.

We have stayed downtown on New Year's Eve three times in the past seven years and it's been great.

We enjoy the festive look of the downtown area, have a nice dinner and are in our hotel way before the late night festivities begin.

Just my two cents.

Keith