Leaving Vancouver - how early

hollon

Can I catch a flight at 10:30 or 11:00, Can we walk off the ship early to get to the airport - are there cabs waiting? Thanks

What time does your ship arrive?

The Vancouver cruise ship terminal is right in the middle of downtown. The airport is a 25 minute drive (without traffic!) from the terminal. If you are arriving on a weekday, you'll be traveling during rush hour. And, assuming you are flying internationally (i.s., to the US), you'll need to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes (but preferably 2 hours) before your flight. You do the math, but I think 10:30 might be optimistic!

And... instead of a cab, if you are traveling light enough, you may want to take the Canada Line skytrain to the airport instead. It leaves from the terminal area (maybe 5 min walk at most?) and goes straight to the airport (no traffic to worry about!) in 26 minutes. ($4 per person).

Edited by georgie73

What time does your ship arrive?

The Vancouver cruise ship terminal is right in the middle of downtown. The airport is a 25 minute drive (without traffic!) from the terminal. If you are arriving on a weekday, you'll be traveling during rush hour. And, assuming you are flying internationally (i.s., to the US), you'll need to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes (but preferably 2 hours) before your flight. You do the math, but I think 10:30 might be optimistic!

And... instead of a cab, if you are traveling light enough, you may want to take the Canada Line skytrain to the airport instead. It leaves from the terminal area (maybe 5 min walk at most?) and goes straight to the airport (no traffic to worry about!) in 26 minutes. ($4 per person).

Oh Wow, I didn't know about the skytrain. I'll be arriving at 7:30 am and there is a flt that leaves at 10:40, I can also make the 12:50 flt, but the connection is in Denver w/ 45 min. to get to next flt ????

Oh Wow, I didn't know about the skytrain. I'll be arriving at 7:30 am and there is a flt that leaves at 10:40, I can also make the 12:50 flt, but the connection is in Denver w/ 45 min. to get to next flt ????

If you are traveling with someone with a disability - I would go with a flight after noon. Even when I am not traveling with someone with a disability - I still aim for noon. Lines in YVR can be very long.

If you are traveling with someone with a disability - I would go with a flight after noon. Even when I am not traveling with someone with a disability - I still aim for noon. Lines in YVR can be very long.

Thanks for remembering my sister :) She will actually be flying w/ my other sister back to Houston so they can aim for the afternoon flight, So in that case, there is a flight that leaves 10:30 or 1:50 - should I as well aim for the 1:50, or could I make the 10:30, I can run :) Can I walk off early or still a long line - thanks :)

Would never book a flight before noon at any disembarkation port but especially Vancouver. Take the later flight - you don't want to be in a panic after a nice cruise. The entire ship has to clear Canadian customs upon arrival and that means actually meeting face to face with a Canadian Border Official, there have been two hour waits for taxis (depending on how many ships are in town), I'd say its more like 45 minutes to the airport and then you need a good two hours to go through US Immigration and security.

Would never book a flight before noon at any disembarkation port but especially Vancouver. Take the later flight - you don't want to be in a panic after a nice cruise. The entire ship has to clear Canadian customs upon arrival and that means actually meeting face to face with a Canadian Border Official, there have been two hour waits for taxis (depending on how many ships are in town), I'd say its more like 45 minutes to the airport and then you need a good two hours to go through US Immigration and security.

There is one at 12:50 but the connection is thru denver which is a 45 minutes connection, is that doable if we tell the stewardess we need a ride to next terminal/gate for handicapped - any thoughts

There is one at 12:50 but the connection is thru denver which is a 45 minutes connection, is that doable if we tell the stewardess we need a ride to next terminal/gate for handicapped - any thoughts

We've done connections tighter than that - 36mins just six weeks ago. Connections under an hour in Denver are pretty common on YVR flights to South East destinations. Remember that you land Domestic after going through US preclearance in YVR. If you need help moving fast, do tell them in advance and they should have a wee cart waiting for you - nobody wants you to miss a connection as it's a hassle for everyone, so they'll hustle you to get to it.

As per other posters above, I'd prefer this 12:50pm flight with a tight connection than a 10:40am YVR departure. If you abandon your sister & other Houston family to take their own transport to airport and hustle, a 10:40am flight is doable, but stressful - in case there's a big taxi queue you would definitely want to be prepped and ready to take SkyTrain, with CAD cash or a Chip credit card, as that's faster than a cab if you have to wait more than a minute or two to get in one.

The key is you need to arrive at YVR before all your fellow same-day-flight cruisers, when the security and CBP queues will be nice & short. If you can carry all your own bags and self-disembark, don't have mobility issues of your own, and especially if you have Global Entry/NEXUS membership, 10:40am should be fine - but I'd still feel the tight Denver connection is less risky...

Generally, if you can book the flight (all with one airline), the connection is allowed. They won't let you book connections that are technically too close together. (Now, if you are making your own single flight purchases, that's a different story!)

I would definitely not try for a 10:30am flight if your ship is scheduled to arrive at 7:30am! With walk time, etc, even taking the Skytrain you'll need a minimum of 35-40 minutes from the terminal to the check in desks at YVR. Add two hours before your flight, and you'd need to be guaranteed to be off your ship by 7:50am. I don't think 20 minutes to clear Canadian customs is even remotely possible.

Why stress at the end of a beautiful trip?

I used to fly through Denver a lot.

The 45 minute connection is definitely do able, assuming you are not booking any regional jets. I fly from a small airport and the regional jets are off in a separate area that is "farther off".

The United terminal (I assume you are United) is a very long terminal and lots of walkways to speed up the process.

When I wasn't with my parent - I would still stick with after 12 for my flight. If you are willing to take your luggage off yourself and take their train (skytrain) - you can possibly do a 10:30 or 11. I would book the later flight but that is me. I have seen Vancouver's airport when it was a mess and also when it is smooth. If it is smooth - you will be fine.

How many ships are in port that day? If it is not a weekend, you have a better chance of less people at the airport.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just go for the later flight, I'm getting stressed just reading this:eek: But I know how airports can be, very stressful. I'm beginning to think I may just stay in Vancouver and see what there is to do and fly out the next morning.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll just go for the later flight, I'm getting stressed just reading this:eek: But I know how airports can be, very stressful. I'm beginning to think I may just stay in Vancouver and see what there is to do and fly out the next morning.

Vancouver is a great city - sounds like a great plan!

Can I catch a flight at 10:30 or 11:00, Can we walk off the ship early to get to the airport - are there cabs waiting? Thanks

If you able to walk off the ship with all your own luggage then the 1040 flight while extremely tight is doable, if there are no hiccups. I think the question is do you want to put that much pressure on yourself after a relaxing Alaskan cruise. If all goes well you will likely be twiddling your thumbs in the departure lounge at YVR by 0900 but it there is a delay anywhere you are hooped.

We just got back from Alaska. Princess cruise tour.

Stayed at Granville Island Hotel right on Granville Island. An interesting, definitely walkable and handicap accessible place. The whole island. Stayed over 1 night.

Walked off ship (you have to be able to handle ALL of your own luggage). Walk-offs are among the first to disembark. I believe we were off ship by 8:15am.

Took bags to Hotel. They gave us a place to change if we wanted, and then held our bags until check-in time. Our room was ready early (11am) but meanwhile we walked around, had crepes for breakfast at the public market. Mornings here are very nice and calm.

Explore, shop, or just chill in a park or at the marina. I saw a seal swimming amongst the docked boats.

Next day we left for the airport at 10am (I had a 1:50pm departure.)

I figured an hour to the airport and gave 3 hours to get through lines.

Must only need those kind of times when you jump off ship and run to the airport with however many thousand other people. Because it was not needed. We were greeted by a porter at the airport named Sashi. He said, "Would you like the services of a porter? I can make you life very easy"

And he did!

He helped us through check-in, luggage handling, and all the way to the very first customs or security point. We tipped him well.

Left hotel at 10am..... we were AT OUR GATE at 11am.

Now this might be the exception rather than the norm, but I'm convinced it's because we waited AND didn't get there first thing in the morning the next day.

And he did!

He helped us through check-in, luggage handling, and all the way to the very first customs or security point. We tipped him well.

Left hotel at 10am..... we were AT OUR GATE at 11am.

Now this might be the exception rather than the norm, but I'm convinced it's because we waited AND didn't get there first thing in the morning the next day.

What day of the week were you at the airport? How many ships were in port the day you left?

A lot has to do with crowds on weekends when there are multiple ships in port.

What day of the week were you at the airport? How many ships were in port the day you left?

A lot has to do with crowds on weekends when there are multiple ships in port.

We disembarked in Vancouver on Wednesday, went to the airport Thursday. No idea how many ships were there on Thursday as we didn't check before leaving for the airport and the terminal is not visible from the hotel on Granville Island.

We disembarked in Vancouver on Wednesday, went to the airport Thursday. No idea how many ships were there on Thursday as we didn't check before leaving for the airport and the terminal is not visible from the hotel on Granville Island.

Thursday would have been a slower day at the airport compared to Saturday and Sunday when most ships are in. You were probably the only ship there on Wednesday which probably would have been easy also.

I think your quick time through the airport had more to deal with less or no ships compared to the weekend. Weekends at YVR are crazy.

Edited by Coral

Vancouver is a great city - sounds like a great plan!

Actually, you could book a hotel in Richmond which is the suburb near the airport. Spend the day in Vancouver (there is a place to store your luggage at the cruise ship terminal). Next morning, just get the hotel shuttle to the airport. We did that and it was very stress free.

That is exactly what my wife and I did on our first Alaskan cruise. Like you, we couldn't find a decent flight home that was either at a good time or didn't have a stop or two along the way.

And I would suggest using the day to go to either the aquarium or Granville Island. :)

We flew back from Vancouver this past Saturday. We had a 7:00 am flight. We got there 3 hours early and it was packed. Check-in was slow, customs had a long line and security was slow. It was busy. Those with Global Entry cut out about half the line-I was wishing I had gone ahead and gotten that vs TSA Pre for the flight out of Vancouver. Even so we had a half hour to kill before boarding.

This would be my choice! We loved Vancouver.