Flights To Barcelona

First time cruising out of Europe, and looking for ideas and help.

We will be flying form east coast ( BWI ? ) ( open for suggestions for best airports ) to Barcelona next year.

Average cost / average flight time ? More than likely using RCCL to book flights, but want an idea of how things will be...

Thank You In Advance !!!

First time cruising out of Europe' date=' and looking for ideas and help.

We will be flying form east coast ( BWI ? ) ( open for suggestions for best airports ) to Barcelona next year.

Average cost / average flight time ? More than likely using RCCL to book flights, but want an idea of how things will be...

Thank You In Advance !!![/quote']

We got our one-way flights from STL->BCN for around $510pp, using Choice Air. The only Northeast airports that have non-stop flights to BCN are JFK, PHL, and EWR.

If you are using Royal's Air2Sea, you will find many great connections. I sometimes just book a one-way from them at good value and then use points or other for my return.

There is a low cost Icelandic airline, WOW Air, that will start flying to Reykjavik from BWI. I think they offer the option to overnight or spend more time in Iceland. It would not really be worth the hassle in my opinion though as they have so many add on fees, but the base fares of $99 to Iceland or $199 to Europe at fist sound very appealing.

Add to this that they only fly 3 days a week to Barcelona and they are better to Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris or London.

Edited by MADflyer

First time cruising out of Europe' date=' and looking for ideas and help.

Thank You In Advance !!![/quote']

We flew British Airways from Dulles International to Barcelona last Nov for our transatlantic. We paid $460 one way and used Choice Air for the tickets. It was a 6 hour flight to Heathrow with a 2 hour layover in London and then about a 90 minute flight to Barcelona. We took the airport bus(real easy) for 6 euros to Plaza Cataluna(top of the Los Rambles)and then a short 1 block walk to our hotel. Since it was now 3 pm in Barcelona our room was ready.

Mary

You are aware that you can do sample bookings with Air2Sea.

I do this by entering my reservation and clicking on the Air2Sea link. You just enter your dates as the reservation is then linked.

While many will suggest booking early is best, you can get great fares close in as well.

I booked a United flight from Fort Myers to Houston connecting to London Heathrow for my Quantum TA last year for just $359 total. I booked it while I was onboard the Oasis TA just 10 days prior to the cruise on Quantum.

You are aware that you can do sample bookings with Air2Sea.

I do this by entering my reservation and clicking on the Air2Sea link. You just enter your dates as the reservation is then linked.

While many will suggest booking early is best, you can get great fares close in as well.

I booked a United flight from Fort Myers to Houston connecting to London Heathrow for my Quantum TA last year for just $359 total. I booked it while I was onboard the Oasis TA just 10 days prior to the cruise on Quantum.

Very aware, however too far out to do this, thanks !!

While many will suggest booking early is best, you can get great fares close in as well. ...

I agree with this. Several times I've found fares at 8 weeks out that were just as good as they were at 11 months out.

Thank You !! We have been looking at flights in general' date=' and they seem very over-priced, glad to hear that RCCL offers cheaper flights.[/quote']

I've never seen an airfare from Royal that was cheaper than any airfare you couldn't get anywhere else. The big advantage to using Royal airfare is when your going on an international cruise, they assure that they'll get you to your cruise. Not sure how they'll do this, but that's what they say.

Also flying out of Baltimore. We are thinking of Paris and taking the train to Barcelona. Also checking DC airports for nonstops. Not til October so checking all the options

Really interested in any help. We're looking at $1200 at this point.

We just booked one-way flights from Chicago to Paris for $410 average (kids prices were less) through IcelandAir. We opted to do a free stopover in Reykjavik Iceland for 2 nights also. We will take the train to Barcelona after our Paris stay. This seemed like a really great deal to me! Our cruise is a TA so we still need to book one way tickets home from New York.

But IcelandAir does do round trip too. There reviews are good and prices are the cheapest I've found for our circumstances. (Except that we decided to spend two extra days on vacation to see Iceland!)

I've never seen an airfare from Royal that was cheaper than any airfare you couldn't get anywhere else. The big advantage to using Royal airfare is when your going on an international cruise, they assure that they'll get you to your cruise. Not sure how they'll do this, but that's what they say.

We did actually get much cheaper airfare from Royal once than we could find elsewhere. (And my hubby is a TA.) Always check around though!

Actually I did get a cheaper fare through Royal Caribbean than directly through the airlines. Believe me I kept searching and finally booked through ChoiceAir (Air2Sea) and saved $400.

I found what I think is a great choice through RCI of $554 one way to Barcelona from PHX. There is a layover of almost 4 hours at JFK and then 1 1/2 hour in Madrid. It is for next October. Is it too soon to book?

Flight prices will only increase - especially for a popular destination and around cruises. I'm going in July and booked my airfare about a month ago and the price has already increased and the seat selection has decreased by a lot. (And if the air through Royal is done like I think it is, they have probably been allotted so many seats and when they're gone the price will only go up or simply not be available.)

Fifth time sailing from Europe in the high season, this time: June-July 2016.

I just booked with Celebrity Choice Air. The price was a little over $1600 on Delta from MSP,ATL,BCN and back. It was over $1800 for same flights on Delta web site.

I know I got non refundable tickets, but I can live with it.

Going in 3days early and staying a extra day after the cruise is over.

Now to find a hotel and continue to join some private tours on my roll call.

Good luck everyone and enjoy Barcelona, it is a wonderful city.

Flight prices will only increase - especially for a popular destination and around cruises. I'm going in July and booked my airfare about a month ago and the price has already increased and the seat selection has decreased by a lot. (And if the air through Royal is done like I think it is, they have probably been allotted so many seats and when they're gone the price will only go up or simply not be available.)

Actually the flights on Royal usually drop significantly closer to sailing. I just did a check and if the person that wanted to fly to BCN from Phx wanted to fly this Thursday, they could get a one stop flight for $460.

I still like to book earlier just to have everything in place.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

We will be flying from DC to Barcelona in April. Just this weekend I booked part of our air - JFK to BCN non-stop R/T for $725 pp on Delta. There are so many options to get to NY from DCA that we will book that leg later. I expect it to cost around $150 pp r/t.

If we had booked DCA to BCN as a one stop, it would have cost around $1200 pp r/t. Booking separate flights saves around $300 per person. We'll put in enough layover time to pick up our luggage and check it in at the second flight.

PS There are currently some cheaper 1-stop flights from DC to BCN, but these involve either going through Moscow or Istanbul (with more than 18 hours travel time and looooong flights) or in Dublin with just over an hour to get through customs and immigration and catch the next flight (Dublin customs is notoriously slow, plus the layover on the return trip is 12 hours.)

Going through NY seems simplest. Worst case is we drive from DC to JFK, about 6 hours if between rush hours.

Actually the flights on Royal usually drop significantly closer to sailing. I just did a check and if the person that wanted to fly to BCN from Phx wanted to fly this Thursday, they could get a one stop flight for $460.

I still like to book earlier just to have everything in place.

It is that much cheaper because it is Fall (Low Season), there are little to no cruises and a lot less tourists.

PS There are currently some cheaper 1-stop flights from DC to BCN, but these involve either going through Moscow or Istanbul (with more than 18 hours travel time and looooong flights) or in Dublin with just over an hour to get through customs and immigration and catch the next flight (Dublin customs is notoriously slow, plus the layover on the return trip is 12 hours.)

Going through NY seems simplest. Worst case is we drive from DC to JFK, about 6 hours if between rush hours.

While I probably wouldn't take the Moscow option (on Aeroflot I assume), I actually am scheduled to fly to BCN via IST next July - in business class however, meaning I get to spend several hours in Turkish Airlines famous lounge. Were I to do this trip in economy, I would probably schedule an overnight in Istanbul and have a quick visit. However, I don't blame you in the least for booking the non-stop from JFK given that $725 price.