Quantum of the Seas Dynamic Dining Disaster

In response to BeachNative

I like what you wrote about enjoying a cruise...but its like going to target or home depot and enjoying giving your personal information to hackers.

I've called 27 times and spent 25 hours on the phone and only receive lip service in return.

After all these calls and promises NOTHING has been been fixed.

I made my reservations in May and even been charged for a chefs table meal on day 10, and it doesnt even exist. DId RC I care...NO...because they were helpless....American Express corrected instead and received a credit in 3 days.

Maybe the customer service and the technical department need to ride the bumper cars instead...or use crash dummies.

The best measure would have been to shut down the reservation system and fix it. Now reseravtions are made all over the place that people dont want and cant delete.

Yeah, Im looking foward to my cruise in March but teaching customer service personel to just give lip service and continue to blame the technichal department hasnt fixed a thing.

This is what you call a WOW moment

There's a glitch where you are actually reserved, but it doesn't show your reservation on cruise planner. I'm assuming that is what happened. Be careful about asking for charge backs from your CC company. RCCL has been known to block any more transactions from that card because of a chargeback.

Thanks for the headsup on chargeback.

Didnt have a choice when RCI couldnt and wouldnt do anything for a dining event that didnt exist but charged me $170 for chefs table.

But they did accept a $400 payment toward our cruise after the chargeback.

Thanks again

New approach to DD.

Take the planned space that the three, complimentary to all, restaurants will occupy and combine them into one large room. Call it the "Non Main Dining Room" or NMDR for the benefit of those who don't like the traditional MDR.

Feature a different one of the three static menus each night and rotate them over a three day cycle.

On the days the "Grand" menu is featured the dress code will be formal.

There will be the "always available" menu items as usual each night.

Change the décor if you like.

Have an early and a late seating as well as an anytime area.

Same wait staff, table and table mates if you want as well as the freedom to do the anytime thing.

Only a random thought for an easier way out for some of us who really feel more comfortable with the MDR tradition.

ONLY MY opinion and that's all it is.

bosco

New approach to DD.

Take the planned space that the three, complimentary to all, restaurants will occupy and combine them into one large room. Call it the "Non Main Dining Room" or NMDR for the benefit of those who don't like the traditional MDR.

Feature a different one of the three static menus each night and rotate them over a three day cycle.

On the days the "Grand" menu is featured the dress code will be formal.

There will be the "always available" menu items as usual each night.

Change the décor if you like.

Have an early and a late seating as well as an anytime area.

Same wait staff, table and table mates if you want as well as the freedom to do the anytime thing.

Only a random thought for an easier way out for some of us who really feel more comfortable with the MDR tradition.

ONLY MY opinion and that's all it is.

bosco

How is that any different from the current traditional dining + MyTime? The "classics" option will still be available at all the restaurants, btw.

Edited by hitaway4

The "classics" option will still be available at all the restaurants, btw.

I am aware that the classics option will be available at all the venues.

"How is that any different from the current **TRADITIONAL* dining + MyTime?"

It isn't, however it is different from the new Dynamic Dining.

bosco

I feel your pain and I too am in the minority who is of the opinion, if it ain't broke why is this change necessary! :(

My guess is a fair amount of the loyal customers who are not enamed with the dining changes will move to other lines and be replaced by a newer segment of the population in Asia.

I find it very interesting that NCL seems to be moving away from Free Style while RCCL is embracing it.

Again, just my own very personal little opinion. I am not trying to sway anyone to my way of thinking.

MARAPRINCE

I feel your pain and I too am in the minority who is of the opinion, if it ain't broke why is this change necessary! :(

My guess is a fair amount of the loyal customers who are not enamed with the dining changes will move to other lines and be replaced by a newer segment of the population in Asia.

I find it very interesting that NCL seems to be moving away from Free Style while RCCL is embracing it.

Again, just my own very personal little opinion. I am not trying to sway anyone to my way of thinking.

MARAPRINCE

I think before condemning the concept, it should be given a chance. From what can I see the choices on the menu look exciting. I'm just hoping that when my cruise comes up, the surf & turf at the American Icon does not disappear as the escargots. lol

tried to book dining rooms after the res . system went online in may; could not get any of our dining times nor the restaurants we were interested in; finally had to call and only got a few we wanted and late eating times, then we got too early times; we only got the grande restaurant for 1 nite also; normal ships have dining chaos for 1-2 days; this will be volcanic; not happy with how this will work out; no problem with ncl in the past; wonder why?

tried to book dining rooms after the res . system went online in may; could not get any of our dining times nor the restaurants we were interested in; finally had to call and only got a few we wanted and late eating times, then we got too early times; we only got the grande restaurant for 1 nite also; normal ships have dining chaos for 1-2 days; this will be volcanic; not happy with how this will work out; no problem with ncl in the past; wonder why?

We were in the same boat, but with assistance of a C&A rep. we were able tom get the dining venues and times. This took over a month to accomplish--one restaurant at a time. At one point, she was getting frustrated as what she/he was looking at was different than what showed up on my reservation. I finally sent a fax of the dining reservations.

I think before condemning the concept, it should be given a chance. From what can I see the choices on the menu look exciting. I'm just hoping that when my cruise comes up, the surf & turf at the American Icon does not disappear as the escargots. lol

There is a difference between condemning the concept and not liking the mechanics involved that seem to be working rather poorly. The food choices/menu are not being questioned. However, how one needs to go about scheduling shows and dining times leaves a lot to be desired.

By the time the ship reaches Asia, all the bugs will be gone. Pity the poor passengers who are having to keep contacting RCCL because of the problems they are encountering with the system.

Having achieved Diamond status and booking on the 12/1 sailing I was all set to have a great experience on a new ship. But the delay in releasing any information other than bumper cars made me question my decision. My little group was also hesitant and we decided to book with another line. This was with the greatest of hopes of sailing on Q after it had made several voyages and before we learned about everything else.

High tech is not why I go on a ship. I want to be away from all that for the time I am on board. The features on Q would not be my first choice. I go for the ports first.

May be RCCL will luck out and everything IT related on board will work smoothly, passengers will get their choice of dining times/places and shows. This would prove all the naysayers wrong.

MARAPRINCE

There is a difference between condemning the concept and not liking the mechanics involved that seem to be working rather poorly. The food choices/menu are not being questioned. However, how one needs to go about scheduling shows and dining times leaves a lot to be desired.

By the time the ship reaches Asia, all the bugs will be gone. Pity the poor passengers who are having to keep contacting RCCL because of the problems they are encountering with the system.

Having achieved Diamond status and booking on the 12/1 sailing I was all set to have a great experience on a new ship. But the delay in releasing any information other than bumper cars made me question my decision. My little group was also hesitant and we decided to book with another line. This was with the greatest of hopes of sailing on Q after it had made several voyages and before we learned about everything else.

High tech is not why I go on a ship. I want to be away from all that for the time I am on board. The features on Q would not be my first choice. I go for the ports first.

May be RCCL will luck out and everything IT related on board will work smoothly, passengers will get their choice of dining times/places and shows. This would prove all the naysayers wrong.

MARAPRINCE

My comments were directed at those that have expressed a desire that they will not cruise on a ship that has DD. I agree with many of your comments as it was frustrating for us to make reservations while some who were part of the test (?) group were as happy as a lark. As mentioned in another blog, we still do not have entertainment schedules or reservations even though got e-mails making it seem that it was available. I think the basic frustration was the way it was rolled out and the IT problems encountered. Hey, I'm looking forward to sail this ultra modern cruise ship. It will be the first time in all of our cruises that we will be sailing out of my back yard.

(previously posted in another thread)

Good Luck. Just the same as the dynamic dining reservation system. The right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing.

Wouldnt it be nice if Customer Service, the Technical department, and PR departments

talked to each other, instead of giving lip service to its customers.

They act like our government leaders. Its time for them to take the blinds off and the ear plus out of their ears and see whats really going on.

Good Luck

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. I know the RCI product well (Daimond Plus) but not the Oasis / Quantum class.

Are you saying that you have to pre-book dining arrangements and entertainment months in advance? And if so making these bookings is harder than a 3 Michelin star restaurant on land?

Wow (and not the good well done envelope Wow).

Add in being herded around like cattle - god forbid you if you board in Port Liberty, thinking being thrown out of your room at 7.30am on the last day of your holiday is normal, standing in line for everything and having no real come back when things go wrong because you were 1 of 60,000 people travelling that week.

I now know why I booked a luxury Seabourn cruise this Christmas / New Year rather than staying loyal to Royal. The most surprising thing - it was actually cheaper as well by the time we looked at a decent cabin !!

With Anthem coming to British shores next year we fully expected to be giving it a bash. I think probably not now. In theory it all looks great but over 4,000 passengers simply can't enjoy all the promised activities.

(previously posted in another thread)

Good Luck. Just the same as the dynamic dining reservation system. The right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing.

Wouldnt it be nice if Customer Service, the Technical department, and PR departments

talked to each other, instead of giving lip service to its customers.

They act like our government leaders. Its time for them to take the blinds off and the ear plus out of their ears and see whats really going on.

Good Luck

What seems to be missing is the human element that can determine that there a problem, something is not working properly and needs to be addressed.

Quick solution...send in the robotic bartenders with wrenches to fix the gliches! (said tongue in cheek):rolleyes:

MARAPRINCE

Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. I know the RCI product well (Daimond Plus) but not the Oasis / Quantum class.

Are you saying that you have to pre-book dining arrangements and entertainment months in advance? And if so making these bookings is harder than a 3 Michelin star restaurant on land?

Add in being herded around like cattle - god forbid you if you board in Port Liberty, thinking being thrown out of your room at 7.30am on the last day of your holiday is normal, standing in line for everything and having no real come back when things go wrong because you were 1 of 60,000 people travelling that week.

I now know why I booked a luxury Seabourn cruise this Christmas / New Year rather than staying loyal to Royal. The most surprising thing - it was actually cheaper as well by the time we looked at a decent cabin !!

With Anthem coming to British shores next year we fully expected to be giving it a bash. I think probably not now. In theory it all looks great but over 4,000 passengers simply can't enjoy all the promised activities.

Herded? You got to be kidding. You don't know what you are missing by not sailing the Oasis/Allure. There so much space and things to do that you never feel crowded, albeit maybe when there's a show in the Promenade. Give me a large ship and you can keep the tiny ones.

BTW: Looking forward to the Quantum, especially since I don't have to fly.

This poster started another thread about being "herded" on Royal Caribbean and he didn't get a whole lot of folks agreeing with him.

We have also sailed on small (Azamara) ships, and while the experience was wonderful, I missed the many bells and whistles and activities available to me on Royal. Never do I feel "herded", and I am happy my cabin is available to me around 1 when we embark, and don't mind leaving my cabin by 8 a.m. on debarkation day so the embarking guests can enjoy the same thing.

Allure and Oasis have an amazing embarkation and debarkation process, and it is just so quick and easy. The fact that the OP debarked in Bayonne has something to do with it.....that is not an easy embarkation or debarkation point, but should be much improved with the new Bayonne terminal.

I hope the OP enjoys his Seabourn cruise.....there are plenty of options out there to satisfy us all!

• 1 month later...

Yes there are reservations we made some 2 months ago. They have a new log in and you make your own reservations. They lost those we had made, and we worked with a rep who could get us 3 reservations for dinner. I found out that the 5 complimentary restaurants will be able to seat people who have no reservations as table is available like the anytime dining. That makes me feel a lot better. Dec 1 sailing only has 8 to 9:45pm time slots for meal reservations. So there are a few gliches in the systems but all of us have to give it time. we are diamond plus so we have seen alot of challenges which have always been resolved by RCCL.

Edited by doraohio

Just checked my calendar. ALL reservations are gone. I was told by the rep that the original emails of reservations would be honored. We'll see. I've been trying and trying to make our Day 2 dinner reservation a bit earlier so as not to be rushed for Mama Mia. And now I can't get anything around 6:15, I don't even see my original 6:45 reservation at Grande.

Still don't see Star Water as an option.

The rep couldn't get into my account, even though I had logged out, in order to see the screen.

So much annoyance just to hang over an air plume for 60 seconds.

MARAPRINCE

After nearly 20 years in IT - nothing ever "lucks out", it does "crap out" but NEVER "lucks out" - and if something appears to "luck out", prepare for hardware failure or the DBA

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA +1 TO THE ROBOTIC ARM - high 5 on that statement mara!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes there are reservations we made some 2 months ago. They have a new log in and you make your own reservations. They lost those we had made, and we worked with a rep who could get us 3 reservations for dinner. I found out that the 5 complimentary restaurants will be able to seat people who have no reservations as table is available like the anytime dining. That makes me feel a lot better. Dec 1 sailing only has 8 to 9:45pm time slots for meal reservations. So there are a few gliches in the systems but all of us have to give it time. we are diamond plus so we have seen alot of challenges which have always been resolved by RCCL.

Update, C and A got us all entertainment and 6 dinners. Lots of incorrect info out about the reservations. As of this weekend, any time you go to your reservation to try to get other dining the system has been down and now there is no place on the reservation to book dining or entertainment. Big computer problems.

Honest, I had no problems. Eight dinners, all the shows, my shorex....read the instructions, be patient, and voila!

I feel lucky to be in your boat. I'm looking forward to dining in 7 different restaurants in 8 nights on one sailing. and a variety on other sailings. As a Windjammer person, who gave up the Main Dining Room long ago, I can't wait to try the new options. I hope that it works out well for everyone having difficulties in getting things done properly.

We agree, once we figured it out, we were able to pick both complementary and "for a fee" restaurants, but we did have to pay the full adult price for the "for a fee" restaurants; a couple are less for my 9 year old. Perhaps they will comp us on board, perhaps they will not.. Granted we only need a table for 4, at 5:30 or 6:00 PM..... Cannot wait for Divinely Decadence and Jaime's...