Shopping in Philipsburg or Marigot

sbb

We will be in St. Martin in a few weeks and would like to walk around and buy some souvenirs and maybe have lunch and a cold drink. We are not looking for beach time. Is it worth the trip to Marigot or do they pretty much have the same items for sale in Philipsburg?

I would opt to say your best best (unless you have the time) is to just go to Philipsburg (great shopping)...While Marigot was a nice stop on our way back from Orient Beach (private tour) I'm glad I didn't spend the time to just go there.I've since been to St Maarten many times and never felt the need to go back to Marigot or Orient Beach...seeing it one time was enough. JMHO.

Edited by Ashland

We will be in St. Martin in a few weeks and would like to walk around and buy some souvenirs and maybe have lunch and a cold drink. We are not looking for beach time. Is it worth the trip to Marigot or do they pretty much have the same items for sale in Philipsburg?

It is super easy to fit both towns into your day. Taxi to Marigot for pastries and the market and back to Phillipsburg for shopping and lunch. From their you can walk or take a land or water taxi back to the ship.

Along the waterfront and Marina Royale in Marigot is really nice.

We don't bother to go over to Marigot any longer but if you have never been to St. Maarten before it is nice to see the town at least once. It has a very pretty water front and the view from Ft. St. Louie is quite spectacular.

Philipsburg will have all of the shopping that you could possibly want to do and pricing is much more negotiable there too.

Thanks everyone for the advice. We are in port all day, so I may try a half day in each town.

If you are interested in getting a great view have your taxi driver drop you at the steps closest to the fort. You can climb the stairs in just a few minutes and less than 5 and you will be at the top. There is not much left of the fort but the view is great and you can w take the stairs all the way down to the town of Marigot and you will be exactly where you want to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week and walked into phillipsburg, caught a bus for 2$ to marigot, wandered a bit had an amazing crepe at serafinos, purchased a couple items, (I was looking for a vendor I had read about on CC and found her and made a purchase). Hopped back on the bus for another 2$ and rode back to phillipsburg did some more wondering and still made it back to the ship with loads of time to spare.ImageUploadedByForums1423656113.669559.jpg.771cea471b4f769f765c4b4f9410d60d.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1423656074.052927.jpg.ce4f7c7a71c88597920922db0b76a7ee.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1423656094.221507.jpg.2a6d91ca5e4693129a2773d91a40918c.jpg

Even though we can easily walk I just can't pass up that water taxi. I always enjoy the ride.:)

we'll be on the Getaway and docking in phillipsburg on 2/24. have an electric scooter for 1 person, where do we get a water taxi? and where does it take us to? also are you aware of any accessible transportation to take us to a beach for a few hours & lunch, any suggestions?

we'll be on the Getaway and docking in phillipsburg on 2/24. have an electric scooter for 1 person, where do we get a water taxi? and where does it take us to? also are you aware of any accessible transportation to take us to a beach for a few hours & lunch, any suggestions?

Once you leave the cruise piers the water taxi is about a 3-4 minute walk and located to the left. The sign is easily visible. My opinion is that getting a scooter aboard will be difficult. The boats drop you off pretty much in the center of Front Street down town.