Power strip yes or no

I always have one with me (power strip having a long cable attached) and no never any issues. I need one as I usually have plenty of eletronic stuff with me ;-)

They even opened my luggage one day with me present when being in the funny room downstairs as I had forgotten to take a sharp item out. They looked at the power strip and put it back in the suitcase with no issues.

MAYBE he did not recognize it as it had all German plugs ;-)

So: take one with you and the maximum that could happen is that they take it away from you during the cruise.

Edited by ChristianDecker

I think it depends on the type. It seems like the type with an extension cord is more likely to be denied.

We use this type and have never had a problem:

belkin-power-usb.jpg

I still thank you for this suggestion. It sits behind our bed at night to charge or phones and plugs our bed lights in. We grab it before each cruise now as we use our phones for white noise and an alarm. During the cruise it only gets used at night, but the day before disembarkation we are rotating our various devices threw it to ensure they are all charged for the long trip home.

"smuggle" "got away with it" ... seriously it seems like nobody can show where clear guidelines are written, and as much as I am more than happy to be on the side of safety, I think implying that people are trying to sneak something naughty on is really not what people are asking about.

If it has safety implications, make the instructions clear and get the information out to everyone. I have just looked at my guest invoice for Feb next year. One and a half pages about boarding, checking in, dining etc. Put it clearly there. Easy.

hello

going on my first cruise in may 2015 on rhapsody.

so how does Australian chargers go? i will need a special plug to go in the Usa power point so i can charge my cameras etc.

i was going to buy a plug for this and a power board.

i dont know how i will cope if on my 14 day cruise i have to ration the power on the camera so i can take a picture.

i might have to stock up on 14 batteries for the camera!

interesting thread :-)

hello

going on my first cruise in may 2015 on rhapsody.

so how does Australian chargers go? i will need a special plug to go in the Usa power point so i can charge my cameras etc.

i was going to buy a plug for this and a power board.

i dont know how i will cope if on my 14 day cruise i have to ration the power on the camera so i can take a picture.

i might have to stock up on 14 batteries for the camera!

interesting thread :-)

The ship has both 120V US sockets and 230V Euro sockets, so you can get whatever adapter/converter is more convenient for you.

We usually put our Belkin Mini-Surge in a drawer when we expect our cabin steward, and on our last cruise, he had to clean the cabin while I was confined w/ norovirus, and I saw him open every drawer.

I also figure any cabin steward that confiscates my mini-surge will find it much harder to earn that WOW or an end of cruise tip.

Edited by knittinggirl

I think it depends on the type. It seems like the type with an extension cord is more likely to be denied.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

Yep, this is what we've used our last 3 cruises with no problems. I pack it in the pouch with all my other electronic cords and always have it in my carry-on bag.

We usually put our Belkin Mini-Surge in a drawer when we expect our cabin steward, and on our last cruise, he had to clean the cabin while I was confined w/ norovirus, and I saw him open every drawer.

I also figure any cabin steward that confiscates my mini-surge will find it much harder to earn that WOW or an end of cruise tip.

We always leave our Belkin plugged in at the desk and have never had a problem. It usually always has a cell phone (or two since we use them for cameras as well), camera, laptop or tablet plugged into it. :)

belkin-power-usb.jpg

Just ordered one. I find the JS rooms on Oasis/Allure to be lacking in outlets. I never saw one near the bed. Maybe I missed it. Plus the ones on the vanity are too close to the counter so if you have a bulky battery charger, it won't fit. At least ours didn't. Hopefully this one is oriented the correct way to fit. Will bring a small extension cord just in case. Will take pictures on our next cruise.

If you let RCI know they will supply an extension cord and a gallon of distilled H20. Just because folks have taken power strips onboard before does not mean thew wont be confiscated on a future trip.

My CPAP requires two plugs, so I was thinking about bringing a Belkin like Bob suggested. Anyone know if the extension cord RCL provides has two-prong or three prong plugs?

Steve

Just ordered one. I find the JS rooms on Oasis/Allure to be lacking in outlets. I never saw one near the bed. Maybe I missed it. Plus the ones on the vanity are too close to the counter so if you have a bulky battery charger, it won't fit. At least ours didn't. Hopefully this one is oriented the correct way to fit. Will bring a small extension cord just in case. Will take pictures on our next cruise.

The outlet near the bed is actually behind the bed, so you might have to move the bed out a bit to find it.

The power strip pictured has a swivel base that locks into positions, each 90 degrees apart. So far, I've always been able to adjust to fit any obstructions.

Edited by clarea

If you have it currently tagged as electrically safe they should allow you to use it. But that would be a tag less than 3 months old in general

Not unless it's marine rated. That's what I was trying to say earlier. Marine electrical systems and shore systems are different. So UCC or CSA rating doesn't mean anything.

We too bring a similar 3 outlet no cord option. we use one outlet to keep a light sensitive night light since we use inside cabins. The light is a life saver at night, or else we would break our toes or bash our knees in the total darkness. and at night is when things need to be charged (rechargeable batteries, cameras, phones, tablets, etc.) without the extender we would only have one useable plug, with it we have 3 to use for charging at night. We too pack it in with our other electronic items and chargers that we bring in our carry-on bags. we have never had anyone flag us for it. I do wish they included a night light in the cabins, especially the inside ones, and then we would not need the outlet extender. the bathroom light is obnoxious and if you leave the door cracked it will happily swing back and forth all night, eventually slamming itself shut, scaring the bejeebus out of you. :rolleyes:

We too bring a similar 3 outlet no cord option. we use one outlet to keep a light sensitive night light since we use inside cabins. The light is a life saver at night, or else we would break our toes or bash our knees in the total darkness. and at night is when things need to be charged (rechargeable batteries, cameras, phones, tablets, etc.) without the extender we would only have one useable plug, with it we have 3 to use for charging at night. We too pack it in with our other electronic items and chargers that we bring in our carry-on bags. we have never had anyone flag us for it. I do wish they included a night light in the cabins, especially the inside ones, and then we would not need the outlet extender. the bathroom light is obnoxious and if you leave the door cracked it will happily swing back and forth all night, eventually slamming itself shut, scaring the bejeebus out of you. :rolleyes:

Or you could bring a small LED flashlight like me.

I do wish they included a night light in the cabins, especially the inside ones, and then we would not need the outlet extender. the bathroom light is obnoxious and if you leave the door cracked it will happily swing back and forth all night, eventually slamming itself shut, scaring the bejeebus out of you. :rolleyes:

I just leave the bathroom light on all night and close the door. Enough light comes through the bottom of the door, so that if either DH or I (mostly me) get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, we can find our way to the bathroom.