Thank you, Frank Del Rio, for a great customer experience

Marketing Girl

We sailed on Riviera on Exotic Lands and thoroughly enjoyed the ship, crew, itinerary, and food. It takes a little time to get everything perfect given the assembly of a new crew, but it will happen. We booked on Riviera for next year. It will be our third sailing on Oceania.

Just like you, I left Cuba as a kid 50 years ago and my family relied on relatives in the U.S. to help get us established. We also came penniless, Castro having confiscated our house and all assets. I wasn't even able to keep my dolls as the soldiers yanked them away from my hands at the airport in Havana. Yes, through hard work and determination, it's possible to go from not knowing the language and culture -- being an outsider with nothing -- to a successful professional and executive.

I enjoyed listening to Buena Vista Social Club on the sailaway from Barcelona, the framed map of Cuba in the Riviera library, and the papaya in the Terrace Cafe. I briefly met Laura Luna, Cuban who lead the Artist Loft classes, who seemed amazingly talented. The artwork by Latin artists on the ship was fabulous. What other Cuban touches did I miss?

Thanks for an enjoyable experience and the standards that make us want to come back to O again and again. (Loved the Bon Appetit Culinary Center classes!)

We are on the Sept. 2 sailing with the same itinerary. I am happy you had a great cruise and would like to repeat the experience. A review of the cruise and any advice you can impart would be appreciated.

Wouldn't hold your breath, Paulchili. The Marshall Islands is a presidential republic in free association with the United States with the US providing defense, funding grants, and access to social services - and its currency is the US dollar!

But I agree with you 100% about Oceania going to Cuba. I think people would be fighting to book. Alan.

Wouldn't hold your breath, Paulchili. The Marshall Islands is a presidential republic in free association with the United States with the US providing defense, funding grants, and access to social services - and its currency is the US dollar!

But I agree with you 100% about Oceania going to Cuba. I think people would be fighting to book. Alan.

I can't see this happening until Castro is "officially dead". :cool:

US citizens are not allowed in Cuba,( unless they were born there), as a tourist. They can go illegally through Mexico, the Bahamas, and Canada. We were there. legally, recently, but it was with a "humanitarian" group for a "people to people" experience. We went with the Caribbean Center for Religion and Culture, which had been arranged originally by Vantage Travel. Congress later changed the rules, so Vantage had to bow out and The CCRC made all the arrangements. We visited Cienfuegos and Havana.

I have to say, that in its day, Havana had to be just about the most beautiful city anywhere. The architecture is amazing (what hasn't fallen down) and much has been restored (through people's relatives in Miami). There are very few cars - most of them are Buicks and Chevrolets from the 40s and 50s - amazing mechanics in Cuba.

Unfortunately, it looks as if a bomb went off and damaged the infrastructure and buildings, but left the people. It is almost a time warp. For those who are interested, here is a link to my husband, Michael's photos. http://www.pbase.com/michaelblum/cuba

Edited by Benita

What wonderful photos! Thank you!

Loved the lady with the cigars ... but especially those wonderful old cars. They remind me of the first car I remember, a 1938 Pontiac. My sister and I rose in the rumble seat. That was turned in for a 1948 Fleetwood which was far more luxurious but did NOT have a rumble seat!

Mura

We are Canadian, and first went to Cuba 25 years ago, and then more recently a little over a year ago. Havana is indeed very beautiful, and very old. I didn't think it looked like a bomb went off, even 25 years ago - it looked like it needed repairs and a coat of paint. The city received UN world heritage status a few years ago, and since then a massive effort is underway to restore the old city. It wasn't my understanding that the cost is being borne by people from Miami.

One of the things I found remarkable about modern Cuba is the importance placed on the arts. The work of artists is regarded as equally important as the work of anyone else - certainly not the case in Canada, for sure, where most artists live near poverty. And maybe because Cuba has been so isolated, we found the art very original and accomplished. I also found it interesting that one of Cuba's most important exports is medical expertise. Their health education system is world-class, and Cuban doctors are regarded as outstanding. The country educates them, and exports their services around the world.

Your photos are very good, but it's worth mentioning that most Cubans don't go around dressed like that. Both in Havana and elsewhere, most people we saw were dressed much as people are in North America.

US citizens are not allowed in Cuba,( unless they were born there), as a tourist. They can go illegally through Mexico, the Bahamas, and Canada. We were there. legally, recently, but it was with a "humanitarian" group for a "people to people" experience. We went with the Caribbean Center for Religion and Culture, which had been arranged originally by Vantage Travel. Congress later changed the rules, so Vantage had to bow out and The CCRC made all the arrangements. We visited Cienfuegos and Havana.

I have to say, that in its day, Havana had to be just about the most beautiful city anywhere. The architecture is amazing (what hasn't fallen down) and much has been restored (through people's relatives in Miami). There are very few cars - most of them are Buicks and Chevrolets from the 40s and 50s - amazing mechanics in Cuba.

Unfortunately, it looks as if a bomb went off and damaged the infrastructure and buildings, but left the people. It is almost a time warp. For those who are interested, here is a link to my husband, Michael's photos. http://www.pbase.com/michaelblum/cuba

Thanks for those pictures. It was very interesting since we just booked a tour with a humanitarian group for a 'mission' to Cuba on 2013. We will be in Santiago, Havana and Guantanamo.

Carol

Thanks for those pictures. It was very interesting since we just booked a tour with a humanitarian group for a 'mission' to Cuba on 2013. We will be in Santiago, Havana and Guantanamo.

Carol

May I ask who you booked it with?

I assume as this is not a cruise operator question but rather more like an excursion operator, the question is allowed here.

Carol

Could you tell us a little more about the mission of your humanitarian group?

Much appreciate all the kind words Marketing Girl.

Did you try the Q-Ban Sandwich in Waves?

Abrazo y carinos

FDR

I missed those, Frank. Will look for them next time. Gracias por todo. Mi familia esta organisando un viaje a Cuba para 2012. Que pena no es un cruise! My first time back. Have you been?

We are on the Sept. 2 sailing with the same itinerary. I am happy you had a great cruise and would like to repeat the experience. A review of the cruise and any advice you can impart would be appreciated.

It was a fabulous trip and you will enjoy it. My favorite was Lanzarote because it was so different given the island's volcanic nature. I suggest doing a full day tour. Happy to answer specific questions rather than write a long narrative.

It was a fabulous trip and you will enjoy it. My favorite was Lanzarote because it was so different given the island's volcanic nature. I suggest doing a full day tour. Happy to answer specific questions rather than write a long narrative.

We were with Marketing Girl on the tour of Lanzarote and it was great. This is not a tour of art museums but of the unique landscapes that make up Lanzarote. Have fun.

May I ask who you booked it with?

I assume as this is not a cruise operator question but rather more like an excursion operator, the question is allowed here.

Could you tell us a little more about the mission of your humanitarian group?

This is a 'mission' that is basically to the Jewish community of Cuba. We visit all the standard tourist spots plus several Jewish Community Centers, an old age home, the Holocaust Memorial, and bring in needed supplies. An organization called World Passage organized the visas and charter flights, but only people from our development are on this mission.

I'm sure other religious groups can do the same thing.

We saw the cemetery in Santa Clara with the Holocaust memorial and small synagogue. A rabbi from Chile comes a couple of times a year, also going to the main synagogue in Havana. The Havana one has been restored and has a free pharmacy on the second floor. It was very well stocked- mainly with samples. Our tour guide said it was the best pharmacy in Cuba. They need oral diabetic meds, as well as hypertension drugs and cholesterol lowering agents and ask people in the US to get samples and stock bottles from drug reps, but they also need over the counter products like aspirin and Tylenol.

This is a 'mission' that is basically to the Jewish community of Cuba. We visit all the standard tourist spots plus several Jewish Community Centers, an old age home, the Holocaust Memorial, and bring in needed supplies. An organization called World Passage organized the visas and charter flights, but only people from our development are on this mission.

I'm sure other religious groups can do the same thing.

Thank you.

I contacted them for info.

Marketing Girl- I have not been back (left on August 22, 1961), and while I'm not political, I won't go until Cuba is FREE! I truly hope you enjoy your visit and wish I could go with you.

I've publicly said that my last remaining dream is to cruise into Havana Harbor OnBoard one of our ships,and possibly celebrate the inauguration of our next new ship there.

It's only been 53 years, all we need is patience!

FDR

I've publicly said that my last remaining dream is to cruise into Havana Harbor OnBoard one of our ships,and possibly celebrate the inauguration of our next new ship there.

FDR

FDR

I hope your dream will come true someday

Lyn

FDR

I hope your dream will come true and I would love to be there to see it.

We saw the cemetery in Santa Clara with the Holocaust memorial and small synagogue. A rabbi from Chile comes a couple of times a year, also going to the main synagogue in Havana. The Havana one has been restored and has a free pharmacy on the second floor. It was very well stocked- mainly with samples. Our tour guide said it was the best pharmacy in Cuba. They need oral diabetic meds, as well as hypertension drugs and cholesterol lowering agents and ask people in the US to get samples and stock bottles from drug reps, but they also need over the counter products like aspirin and Tylenol.

Folks who went last year said that these are the types of supplies we are supposed to bring in and to ask our doctors for samples. We are not going until April, so we will have time to accumulate some.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Cuba is free by then.

Carol