BART To Pier 27 In San Francisco

sk8terchick

Hello ;)

We will be sailing on The Star Princess October 18th,2014 out of Pier 27.

Has anyone taken BART to the pier from the Pleasanton area? Is it walkable with luggage? If not are there cabs available at the BART station? Is BART safe on a Saturday with luggage ETC?

Is it better to just hire a sedan for 2 people? I have gone out of Pier 35 a couple of times and always had a Limo with family. First time just the 2 of us are going & wondered is it just as easy to take BART from the Pleasanton area.

I checked BART and see you get off at the Embarcadero station.

Thank You:D

As has been discussed relative to Pier 35, the old terminal, BART goes about 2/3-3/4 mile away from the Terminal. It is a flat walk, but not a whole lot of fun dragging bags. But it can be done. BART runs people to both SFO and Oakland airport, so no problems with luggage.

You can take a cab from BART to the terminal, or the F Street car, which may the biggest hassle with your bags.

I usually walk from Bart down to the Pier 35 terminal, its a pretty long walk, about 20-30 minutes with luggage. Just head down Market to the Embarkadero/Ferry Building then its a flat walk with a fair amount of benches to take a rest. The new terminal location will cut 10 minutes off the walk so it will be a lot easier. Once when it was raining I just headed over to one of the hotels off of Market street and picked up a cab to the pier there

• 1 month later...

Across the street from the BART exit is the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Always a line of cabs there.

It will be a fairly short, cheap ride. Don't kill yourself before you even get on the ship. The walk with luggage will do it.

Hello ;)

We will be sailing on The Star Princess October 18th,2014 out of Pier 27.

Has anyone taken BART to the pier from the Pleasanton area? Is it walkable with luggage? If not are there cabs available at the BART station? Is BART safe on a Saturday with luggage ETC?

Is it better to just hire a sedan for 2 people? I have gone out of Pier 35 a couple of times and always had a Limo with family. First time just the 2 of us are going & wondered is it just as easy to take BART from the Pleasanton area.

I checked BART and see you get off at the Embarcadero station.

Thank You:D

We are in Walnut Creek, and whenever we take BART to/from cruise ships in San Francisco, we always exit BART at Embarcadero (as you discovered) and grab a cab at the Hyatt Regency to/from the ship. With the new Pier 27, it will be a shorter distance between the Hyatt and new terminal then Pier 35, however we'd still take a cab rather than schlep luggage!

Another thing we've started doing, and plan to again next time, is to rent a car from Avis in Walnut Creek (they have an office in Pleasanton, too). Avis has a rental office inside the Hyatt Regency where we drop the car, then taxi to the cruise terminal. If our cruise is round trip, this is a nice (and inexpensive) alternative to driving over and paying to park for the duration of the cruise. Our one-way rental car cost w/taxes is usually $35-40. We often rent the car the afternoon before sailing (24 hour rental) to avoid having to do that task the following morning as we're busy tying up loose ends before heading to SF to start our cruise vacation. While BART is a great way to get to a cruise in SF from the East Bay and Peninsula, I have to admit we're enjoying doing the rental car thing as opposed to schlepping luggage in/out of BART stations and trains.

Have done BARt to or from the current cruise terminal at Pier 35 a number of times and am looking forward to the new Pier 27 as it will shorten the distance.

If you do any walking at all this is as easy as it gets. All flat with very wide sidewalks and beautiful views. You can shortcut a little by angling up at the Hyatt but if you are not sure where, walk to the Ferry building and then turn left. You will pass lots of street vendors on Market and can grab a drink at a number of spots along the route if you are so inclined. You will pass right by the new site of the Exploratorium.

If you do not want to walk then take a cab. The streetcars are not set up well for luggage. If you head back on this same route then say hello on the 25th as my DW and I will be walking to catch the Star for a 10 day to Mexico. Love it when I can avoid air travel and parking.

By the way do not know OP's ages but the best deal in town is the senior clipper card. BART from Fremont to the city is $2.20 one way.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your great replies.

I think I have it figured out :D

Cab from the Hyatt looks like a great option and sounds easy enough.

Walking it would be easy for us..but I don't really want to drag my luggage as I tend to overpack just a little ;)

I was most worried about BART and luggage and safety on a Saturday. Is BART pretty safe on a Saturday? I only take it maybe 2x a year for a work meeting so I don't ride very often.

My hubby and I are going to go on a trial run to the city to check things out.

Great reason for him to buy me lunch in the city or a sundae at Ghirardelli Square, YUM !!

Thank you!!!

We are in Walnut Creek, and whenever we take BART to/from cruise ships in San Francisco, we always exit BART at Embarcadero (as you discovered) and grab a cab at the Hyatt Regency to/from the ship. With the new Pier 27, it will be a shorter distance between the Hyatt and new terminal then Pier 35, however we'd still take a cab rather than schlep luggage!

Another thing we've started doing, and plan to again next time, is to rent a car from Avis in Walnut Creek (they have an office in Pleasanton, too). Avis has a rental office inside the Hyatt Regency where we drop the car, then taxi to the cruise terminal. If our cruise is round trip, this is a nice (and inexpensive) alternative to driving over and paying to park for the duration of the cruise. Our one-way rental car cost w/taxes is usually $35-40. We often rent the car the afternoon before sailing (24 hour rental) to avoid having to do that task the following morning as we're busy tying up loose ends before heading to SF to start our cruise vacation. While BART is a great way to get to a cruise in SF from the East Bay and Peninsula, I have to admit we're enjoying doing the rental car thing as opposed to schlepping luggage in/out of BART stations and trains.

I live in San Ramon, I like the rental car idea to the Hyatt. I love walking the Embarcadero, even with luggage it's fun, so from the Hyatt is no big deal. You are right, at that rate it becomes more economical (BART from my house is $5.75, times 4 people) because I don't have to try and find someone to drive me to the BART station.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from the Star Princess 7 day coastal. We took Bart in from

the West Dublin / Pleasanton station on Sat. the 11th. It was Fleet Week and

we didn't want to take any of the driving / parking options.

We caught a train about 10am, arrived at Embarcadero station around 10:45,

Picked up a taxi at the Hyatt and were at the pier by 10:30 - took a while

because the cabbie didn't want to listen to me about routing and insisted

on creeping along the Embarcadero.

This morning we disembarked the ship about 8:40, had our bags in a taxi a

few minutes later (No immigration - we cleared that in Long Beach)

and were on a train at 9am (did get lucky making that connection)

We were home a bit after 10am - fastest ever!

Both trips were on a Saturday, so might be a bit more of a challenge

to have space for luggage on a weekday, but we plan to do the Bart bit

again in January.

We just returned from the Star Princess 7 day coastal. We took Bart in from

the West Dublin / Pleasanton station on Sat. the 11th. It was Fleet Week and

we didn't want to take any of the driving / parking options.

We caught a train about 10am, arrived at Embarcadero station around 10:45,

Picked up a taxi at the Hyatt and were at the pier by 10:30 - took a while

because the cabbie didn't want to listen to me about routing and insisted

on creeping along the Embarcadero.

This morning we disembarked the ship about 8:40, had our bags in a taxi a

few minutes later (No immigration - we cleared that in Long Beach)

and were on a train at 9am (did get lucky making that connection)

We were home a bit after 10am - fastest ever!

Both trips were on a Saturday, so might be a bit more of a challenge

to have space for luggage on a weekday, but we plan to do the Bart bit

again in January.

How did you arrive at the pier 15 minutes before getting off BART?

• 2 weeks later...

We live an hour from the Pittsburgh BART station. It sounds like taking BART to Embarcodaro and then a cab would work well for us.

Is there a daily parking fee at the BART station? What route do you suggest the cabbie take to the pier?

Long-term parking at Pittsburg BART is $6.50 per day, free on Sat/Sun. You prepay and print out the voucher and leave in your dashboard. Go to the BART website where you'll find parking info and link to prepay, etc.

When you exit BART at Embarcadero Station, grab a cab at the adjacent Hyatt Regency. Just tell the driver Pier 27 Cruise Ship Terminal. It's only about a mile up the Embacadero, so you really don't need to suggest a route.

Long-term parking at Pittsburg BART is $6.50 per day, free on Sat/Sun. You prepay and print out the voucher and leave in your dashboard. Go to the BART website where you'll find parking info and link to prepay, etc.

When you exit BART at Embarcadero Station, grab a cab at the adjacent Hyatt Regency. Just tell the driver Pier 27 Cruise Ship Terminal. It's only about a mile up the Embacadero, so you really don't need to suggest a route.

Thank you.

As has been discussed relative to Pier 35, the old terminal, BART goes about 2/3-3/4 mile away from the Terminal. It is a flat walk, but not a whole lot of fun dragging bags. But it can be done. BART runs people to both SFO and Oakland airport, so no problems with luggage.

You can take a cab from BART to the terminal, or the F Street car, which may the biggest hassle with your bags.

This is good advice. If your luggage isn't too heavy and you're new to San Francisco, its an amazing walk along the Embarcadero.

If you're cabbing it from BART, traffic can be heavy and slow sometimes. Give yourself an extra 5 or 10 minutes.

• 5 months later...
Will be going to the Oakland Airport when we disembark. I understand that we would catch BART at the Embarcadero Station. Does anyone know where we would go from there and what exit we will get off at for the airport?

From SF Embarcadero station to Oakland airport you take either a Fremont or Dublin/Pleasanton train and exit at Coliseum station. At Coliseum you transfer to another BART train that takes you to Oakland airport.

SF Embarcadero to Oakland Coliseum takes 20 minutes.

Oakland Coliseum to Oakland Airport takes 8 minutes.

Go to http://www.bart.gov and enter Embarcadero and Oakland Airport as your origin/destinations stations in the trip planner on the home page.

One-way price is $10.05 unless you're a senior citizen.