Husband unsure of Anthem due to no free sauna, a little advice please.

Sorry for the long title and possibly long post. We are booked on the Anthem for November. I chose it because it's only around an 8 hour drive from home to the port. We don't like to fly so usually drive to ports, this will be a nice quick drive as opposed to Florida.

We had a bad experience on the Royal Princess with the sauna not being free. Hubby has a stressful job and his favourite part of our cruise holidays is relaxing in the sauna. On the Royal Princess he could not work out then go to the sauna as they were on different decks and quite a distance from each other.

When choosing the Anthem I noticed that it appears that the spa is just below the fitness centre so he could probably just head down after working out. Am I correct? We have had this cruise booked for 3 months and the other day my DH came home and said he didn't think he wanted to go on this cruise and he started to look at other ships. I even removed the cruise from my signature figuring it was a lost cause.

This is a 10 night cruise and I feel we got a great deal on our balcony cabin. Any 7 night cruise he looked at was far more money. He has resigned himself to keeping this cruise but now I am worried. We have read the spa passes are very limited, how hard is it to get one and what is the likelyhood they sell out? It's hubby's holiday too and I want him to enjoy himself.

I'm sorry to ramble but this is the main reason we have not and likely won't book ships that don't offer a free sauna. I feel this ship has a great deal to offer and hope that we will find plenty to do but relaxing is important too. Anyone have a problem getting the spa pass?

Hopefully you'll hear from someone with direct knowledge of Anthem. I've only been on Oasis/Allure, which have the fitness center on a lower deck, and one deck down, the spa with its thermal suite, where the sauna/steam room are. We had no trouble getting a week-long pass on Oasis and Allure for the thermal suite on the first day of the cruise. Just go right down to the spa reception desk and pay for it.

If Anthem has a similar setup to Oasis/Allure, the only decent locker room will be for the spa/thermal suite, which your DH would have access to if he gets the thermal suite pass. We are like you--we don't appreciate the ships with the thermal suite/pay sauna. We prefer the earlier classes of Royal's ships with the larger locker rooms and separate, included sauna/steam room.

I hope you enjoy the ship otherwise for what it does offer, and that your DH can be satisfied with the sauna area as it is. We had an okay time on Oasis, but on Allure it was crowded and noisy, with lots of couples and friends going in and out and talking instead of relaxing quietly.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

thanks for your reply! We do plan on heading straight to the spa to get a pass. He was a little worried about the noise factor too but that was not a problem on the Royal Princess so hopefully won't be on the Anthem. He dislikes the co-ed part too but not the end of the world either. If he doesn't get a pass maybe it will force us to do something other than our usual routine of him at the gym and me at the pool. Either way we will have a good time, we always do. Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I am having the same issue! Husband looks so forward to the sauna/steam rooms that have been complimentary on prior cruises. He wants a guarantee he will be able to get a pass. We are already booked but as petty as it may sound it is extremely important to him. I may have to look at a different ship. What was your experience like and how many passes do they sell on the Anthem. Do not feel like having to worry about not getting in.

Edited by Lizard755

FYI: I posted a similar thread a few day ago about thermal suite on Oasis as my DH loves suana/shower on ships. I also called C&A and was told a pass would be about $30 per day. The nice person who replied to my thread gave a great answer and said about $100 per week.

We are spoiled because we have been sailing Celebrity in an AQUA cabin which gives you free access to sauna/showers as well as your own dining room BLU.

Read reply on Oasis/Vitality Spa if you would like helpful information.

You can buy a spa pass sometimes even before getting onboard. They have small desks in the port area, after you are checked in, for drink packages,restaurant deals, spa, etc. Sometimes these are on the top level after you go up the escalators (Bayonne). Also on other cruise lines you are able to book the spa pass from your reservation and save $20. I have not seen that on Royal Caribbean yet, but you never know, keep checking.

It is my opinion that the spa passes rarely sell out. They want more money so I do not see any reason they will not let you buy one. The "Only 80 weekly spa passes" is a sales tactic. For your peace of mind, just go to the spa as soon as you board to purchase them, if you do not see them selling the passes while you board.

It is also my opinion that the Anthem spa is the poorest in the fleet. But you have to try it out to form your own opinion.

I am having the same issue! Husband looks so forward to the sauna/steam rooms that have been complimentary on prior cruises. He wants a guarantee he will be able to get a pass. We are already booked but as petty as it may sound it is extremely important to him. I may have to look at a different ship. What was your experience like and how many passes do they sell on the Anthem. Do not feel like having to worry about not getting in.

we just came back from the cruise I posted about. Hubby did get a spa pass without issue, we went to the spa as soon as we boarded. I don't know if it would of been an issue to get one either way, I don't think they were in high demand. Sauna area is quite small and my husband was dissapointed with it. It was $117.00 for 10 days. Most times hubby was alone.

We are happy we didn't cancel the cruise though, it was fantastic! Amazing ship, food was great, crew even better. We were so impressed and have booked another cruise while on board. Hope you don't change your mind and miss this ship. It is very important to my husband as well but he said the rest of the ship and the wonderful holiday made up for the sauna.

Edited by debandbruce

Thanks for the update. I am considering purchasing a weekly spa pass myself for my cruise in February. I love the heat, and I think I'll especially want it since sailing out of a cold weather port and not having the balmy weather for half of the cruise. What specifically was your husband disappointed with at the sauna?

Thanks for the update. I am considering purchasing a weekly spa pass myself for my cruise in February. I love the heat, and I think I'll especially want it since sailing out of a cold weather port and not having the balmy weather for half of the cruise. What specifically was your husband disappointed with at the sauna?

It was quite small based on size of ship. He likes to chat with others in the sauna but there was rarely anyone else there, made it a bit boring. On the last day, which was a sea day it wasn't working properly. Barely any heat at all. There were a couple others there this time and they asked at the desk. The attendant came and did something, said it should be better but was no different. They all left, it was chilly outside they didn't want a chilly sauna.

It was quite small based on size of ship. He likes to chat with others in the sauna but there was rarely anyone else there, made it a bit boring. On the last day, which was a sea day it wasn't working properly. Barely any heat at all. There were a couple others there this time and they asked at the desk. The attendant came and did something, said it should be better but was no different. They all left, it was chilly outside they didn't want a chilly sauna.

Your DH would love Celebrity Solstice Class ships. If you book AQUA class he gets the spa as part of the deal with no extra charge.

Your DH would love Celebrity Solstice Class ships. If you book AQUA class he gets the spa as part of the deal with no extra charge.

Oh we have done Celebrity and love the Solstice class ships. Silhouette being the favourite. We have also done Aqua Class and enjoyed the Persian Gardens. Hubby just likes to go work out a bit and head into the sauna. He does not like the unisex saunas as he finds the men and women just don't chat. Guys are much chattier with other guys plus he hates having to wear his bathing suit, it feels gross.

• 4 months later...

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas Vitality Spa Photos - 70 Pictures

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/anthem-of-the-seas-706/vitality-spa-184656/

Found this info when doing research for dh some time ago. This is just about the only good info I found on the web regarding Anthem. I think he said there were only those 6 heated loungers and no view with them.