Sold Out Cruise

dasania41

Has anyone ever called RC and been able to book a stateroom in a sold out category? Currently looking at a cruise in January where all balcony cabins are sold out and wondering if I should try my luck in calling to see if anything is available

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone ever called RC and been able to book a stateroom in a sold out category? Currently looking at a cruise in January where all balcony cabins are sold out and wondering if I should try my luck in calling to see if anything is available.

What can it hurt to call and give it a try?

Also some rooms are held by TAs trying to sell them and they will go back into the cabin pool if they go unsold.

Very unlikely a TA would be holding a cabin for a Jan sailing - they usually give them all back to RCI about 60 days out.

It would be unusual to have no balconies a month out (except may a ship like Empress), but it is likely the price will be quite high if/when they do become available.

Very unlikely a TA would be holding a cabin for a Jan sailing - they usually give them all back to RCI about 60 days out.

It would be unusual to have no balconies a month out (except may a ship like Empress), but it is likely the price will be quite high if/when they do become available.

Wonder how that works. Does the TA pay a fee for every cabin they hold? Do they get a refund (or penalty) when they're returned to the cruise line?

I did a mock booking today with RCCL and Cheap Tickets looking to see if any Grand Suites opened up for a certain date and cruise. RCCL showed none left, but Cheap Tickets showed one left. You need to look around.

Has anyone ever called RC and been able to book a stateroom in a sold out category? Currently looking at a cruise in January where all balcony cabins are sold out and wondering if I should try my luck in calling to see if anything is available

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What can it hurt to call and give it a try?

dasania41,

If you do call, it would be interesting to hear back from you.

Thanks

Wonder how that works. Does the TA pay a fee for every cabin they hold? Do they get a refund (or penalty) when they're returned to the cruise line?

TA's don't hold actual cabin numbers.

When a ship 1st becomes available for booking they get the option from the cruise line of selling a certain category at a discounted group rate. For example, 6 Cat N interiors, 4 Cat G Oceanviews, 4 Cat E1 Balconies, 6 Cat D4 Balconies, 6 Cat D1 Balconies...The actual cabin numbers are subject to the current open inventory available publicly to anyone booking the ship.

So your TA may have 2 D1s in their inventory but the ship may only have 15 portside / 12 starboard and none located near or next to each other.

If the TA does not sell thru their options at 150 to 120 days prior to the sailing date, they lose the option. If they sell thru all of their Group inventory, then that's it.

TA's don't hold actual cabin numbers.

When a ship 1st becomes available for booking they get the option from the cruise line of selling a certain category at a discounted group rate.

What about non-discounted rate cabins? A TA some time ago mentioned that they release those to RCI around 60 days out (after final payment) and from past experience it seems that's when there seems to be more inventory and price drops on some sailings.