Travel Warning for Honduras? Safe?

LuvCruiser70

I actually did. And yes, we actually considering chartering a boat to fish but this exact fear kept our concierge from recommending we do it, and sure enough it happens! They were sailing TO Roatan. But whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really a "whatever", they left MAINLAND Honduras on a boat, sounds like they were probably followed (the article is long on fear and short on detail). I don't think anyone is arguing about risk on the mainland, but your phrase "crime in Roatan" was factually incorrect and misleading.

December 2014, we came into Coxen Hole and did an excursion through Bananarama in West Bay. It was probably a half hour drive and it was a great day! There were a lot of people on the beach selling random goods and services. They were a bit of a nuisance, but my husband fueled the fire by purchasing several items. After that we were fair game.

Just like traveling in any other part of the world keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings. You'll be fine. [emoji3]

Me' date=' and my 2 daughters will be in Roatan in May.

I have reserved a guide thru Bodden tours for the day.

They will be taking us to Parrot a Tree Plantation.

Is this a safe area, Parrot Tree?[/quote']

I truly do not believe anyone can tell another they will be safe. There are far to many variables. What I can tell you is, I would feel safe at Parrot Tree.

Mind you, I spent seven days at Paya Bay and felt was safe, I walked the road between Paya Bay and Camp Bay several times..not a worry in the world did I have. Not so much the couple a few weeks ago who say there was stopped and robbed on the road. Some folks are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With all that said, West Bay beach has enough security about to warn off any but the sneak thieves, taking those things people were not wise enough to lock up, who were silly enough to bring expensive electronics to a third would county where many of the people are struggling to feed their families.

brotherCraig and Guest 2000:

Thank you for your replies.

I am mostly worried due to the fact that my husband isn't going on this trip.

I know, I shouldn't feel more safe with a man(my husband) but I do.

Guess, I am just old school that way. I know if we were going to be robbed,

my husband would not be a deterrent.

I'm glad to hear that Parrot Tree is in the nicer, safer area of Roatan.

I wasn't sure how long of a drive it was from the pier to the resort.

For some reason , I thought it was a long drive 30-40min?

I searched for the resort on Google earth and it looked like a ways from

The West End area.

brotherCraig and Guest 2000:

Thank you for your replies.

I am mostly worried due to the fact that my husband isn't going on this trip.

I know' date=' I shouldn't feel more safe with a man(my husband) but I do.

Guess, I am just old school that way. I know if we were going to be robbed,

my husband would not be a deterrent.

I'm glad to hear that Parrot Tree is in the nicer, safer area of Roatan.

I wasn't sure how long of a drive it was from the pier to the resort.

For some reason , I thought it was a long drive 30-40min?

I searched for the resort on Google earth and it looked like a ways from

The West End area.[/quote']

Parrot Tree is well toward the opposite end of Roatan from West Bay/ West End. It's past the small village of Oak Ridge on the south eastern side of the island. You'll be traveling by a van/car with one of Victor's drivers and you'll be going into a private complex that's not easily accessible by the public on the island, where as West Bay and West End and even Sandy Bay are readily accessible by anyone. Follow Victor's instructions on making sure you get your driver and not someone posing as a Victor Bodden driver when you walk over the hill, and you can take some level of comfort in safety. I'll temper that with always be vigilant.

Have a wonderful cruise with your daughter.:)

I don't think Parrot Tree is past Oakridge. Oakridge is about the end of the paved road, or was last time I was out there, hmm 3 years ago.

Parrot Tree is a far bit past French Harbor and Fantasy Island.

I agree and it is probably about 30 minutes. It is quite a way down road after you leave the highway but it is paved.

The fact remains that anyone can be not safe anywhere. Someone got shot at one of our bars this weekend... I leave my door unlocked at night constantly on accident. It is all situational and yes we can do what we can to prevent it but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. And it's going to happen everywhere. And obviously it happens a lot more on the mainland. I don't think the cruise ships would constantly be bringing us here if it wasn't safe.