Parking at Cape Liberty NJ

critcatny

Hi, we will be cruising on RCI out of NJ next month. We live on LI and plan to drive to the port but wondered if anyone had any advice for parking. I know we can park at the port for $19/day. Wondered if there was any place cheaper nearby and if anyone used them so they could comment. Thank you.

If I may, I would like to totally agree with my esteemed sailing buddy Carol in her endorsment of parking at the Cape Liberty Terminal.

We have cruised many times out of Cape Liberty parking at the dock each time with a minimum of fuss or discomfort.

Are you talking about Global Parking that offers long term parking at Newark Airport? If you book through them,you will have to pay about $100 round trip for transportation to the port in Bayonne. If that's what you're interested in, contact Snap Parking, which has been offering port transportation. I don't know what their current deal is, but folks have used them and been very happy. They are off airport on Freylingheisen Ave in Newark.

$19 a day is very reasonable. NY is $35. I would much rather have my car at the port than worrying about transportation from another destination. Your car is fenced in (unlike NY) and safe. We cruise out of NY and NJ all of the time. I highly recommend staying at the port and just consider the $19 per day as part of your cruising fees.

Thank you for all the info. I think I will feel safer and enjoy my cruise more knowing the car is at the port then. I saw the lot is fenced in so therefore it is an outside lot, right? Is it lit up at night? Have any security other than a fence? And do you walk from and to the car or need a shuttle from the ship? Thanks again.

The lot at the port is outside. What you have to understand about Cape Liberty is that the terminal is two miles out on a peninsula. It's a working port, so the entire area is secure. The public can visit the 911 memorial during the day, but there is a security presence. It's just not an area that can be easily accessed by random people on non-departure days.

There are two parking areas, but only one entrance where you prepay the parking. The best thing to do is to drop off your luggage first and swing around into the parking. To get closer to the terminal, you drive halfway into the first lot and make a left heading for the gap in the fence where you can cross the access road (there is a guy there to stop traffic so you can do this) to the lot on the same side as the terminal. There is a lot of handicapped parking in this area, but there are also regular spaces. You can easily walk with your carry ons to the check in.

The bus shuttle to the ship is after security. The ride itself is 90 seconds - it's the bus loading that takes the time.

Pull up Port Terminal Blvd on google earth to see what I have described.

http://www.snap-parking.com/

When I sailed in April, I took one for the team and used the above...I did not have a reservation, yet they were fine with that...I called maybe 30 minutes before I went...LOL...

Waited about 10 minutes to go to the pier, they had a few people using the service....on the way back, I waited maybe 45 minutes for the shuttle - mainly due to traffic and construction.

I would use them again, but I generally stay in a hotel and get my own transportation. Otherwise, I will park at the pier....but I had no complaints with SNAP

ETA" Hmm, wonder if they stopped the cruise service? The CLICK HERE thing on their site is not working......if anyone was planning to try, I would call or email them...

Edited by megr1125

• 1 year later...

Cruising on 7/16 to 7/25 on the Liberty and just found inexpensive parking on Parkwhiz.com 90 bucks for 10 days and free shuttle less than 10 mins from the pier. Sounds like a good deal thought I'd share. I will report any issues when I return happy sailings folks

• 3 weeks later...

NOTE.......this thread began a couple of years ago. I think Premier had DEFINITELY cleaned up their act and on a scale of 1 to 10.....a 10, for sure. Some folks have said it's difficult to find. Here are some very easy directions. We came down 95 south and took exit 14A onto RT 440. Stay on 440 South, go past the cruise ship terminal entrance. Take a right onto New Hook Rd (signage is very clear). Shortly, you'll come to a light/intersection. Facing you will be a huge "Lowes/Walmart" sign, cross over strait staying on 440 South. Almost immediately there will be a "Sonic" burger place on your right. About 50 ft past that, on the left is "Delta Storage", again, signage very large and clear. Turn into the Delta Storage lot. Premier parking is behind and to the right of the Delta Storage building. There are sandwich board signs on 440 and in the lot indicating where you need to "Zig and Zag" to get to the parking area that say "Premier Cruise Parking". We waiting about 10 minutes for the van, and on our return the driver said, "after you disembark, go to zone 15 for pick-up". I think we waited 2 or 3 minutes to be picked up! We did self walk off which started at 7:30 (and we were not at the font of the line) and we were in our car driving home at 5 past 8. The distance from this parking lot and the terminal is less then 2 miles and the ride is about 5 minutes. It might be a bit longer when not sailing/returning on a Sunday. And......if you get the parking in advance at "Parkwiz" on line...it was $48 and change to park for the week. And as an aside, we've sailed out of Port Liberty prior to the new terminal. What a difference!!!!!!! Much easier and efficient getting in and unloading, going through the terminal and getting onto the ship and the same for disembarking. We will definitely use them in the future when sailing out of Port Liberty!

• 7 months later...
We are cruising the end of June. my concern with the port parking is - there wont be a space available for us - then what?

Several folks have expressed this concern on a variety of threads. In all the years I've been on this thread no one has ever posted about not being able to park at the port.

In addition to the new parking garage, there is still plenty of outdoor parking area. I am sailing on Mar 4 and am going to ask this question.

Meanwhile, when are you driving to Cape Liberty? Where are you coming from in Mass? Do you have the cars only directions through NYC? IMO I'd be more worried about making sure you arrive in time than about whether you can park.

• 1 month later...

I see the port parking price is now $20 per day. My cruise is Saturday to Thursday. I tried to call the number on the website but it doesn't work. I just wanted to make sure my total price will be $100 for 5 nights, not $120 for 6 days?

I see the port parking price is now $20 per day. My cruise is Saturday to Thursday. I tried to call the number on the website but it doesn't work. I just wanted to make sure my total price will be $100 for 5 nights, not $120 for 6 days?

A five day cruise is charged $20/day - $100. You prepay on arrival.

This is not public parking. It is only open on days when ships are docked.

• 5 months later...

So if you park at cruise terminal can you walk into port?Im guessing its secured and you need to arrive by car?For the conveinace I was considering just paying the 20 per night but if Ill need to get a taxi to go through check point it wont make any sense.Thanks for any info

So if you park at cruise terminal can you walk into port?Im guessing its secured and you need to arrive by car?For the conveinace I was considering just paying the 20 per night but if Ill need to get a taxi to go through check point it wont make any sense.Thanks for any info

You must drive into the port. There is a checkpoint at the entrance, but it is not manned on a sail day. The actual terminal building and parking is 2 miles from the entrance. The parking garage is right next to the terminal, so no taxi required if you are paying the $20/day to park.

The rules state that you cannot walk into the port. However, I have seen a few lost souls with rolling luggage who appeared to be attempting the 2 mile walk. T

You must drive into the port. There is a checkpoint at the entrance, but it is not manned on a sail day. The actual terminal building and parking is 2 miles from the entrance. The parking garage is right next to the terminal, so no taxi required if you are paying the $20/day to park.

The rules state that you cannot walk into the port. However, I have seen a few lost souls with rolling luggage who appeared to be attempting the 2 mile walk. T

Ok let me just make sure I follow you correctly.

We will go through a checkpoint prior to getting to parking garage?Then we can walk into port terminal from parking garage?Thanks

We have always left from florida,never from cape liberty

Edited by rtazz17

Ok let me just make sure I follow you correctly.

We will go through a checkpoint prior to getting to parking garage?Then we can walk into port terminal from parking garage?Thanks

We have always left from florida,never from cape liberty

The checkpoint is there, but it is not active on a sail day. If you're not looking for it, you might miss it.

On a sail day you and everyone else going to the ship follow a two mile road to the end of the peninsula where you will likely encounter a traffic backup to drop off at the terminal or to make the turn to the parking.

The parking garage is right next to the terminal and you can easily walk.

Edited by 138east