B1 and A2,3 cabins on Insignia

wenjoyjack

Veranda cabins are basically the same, the difference is that the "A" cabins are on Deck 7 and the "B" cabins are on Deck 8. B1 would be midships whereas the A2-3 cabins are further forward or aft. (A3 would be the most forward or aft location.)

If the concierge features don't appeal enough to you to justify the cost, then I'd suggest you stick with the B1.

Mura

I would add that on Insignia and other R class ships there is no Concierge lounge or other special facility. Only the two O class ships, Marina and Riviera have a concierge lounge. In most cases the difference in cost between Concierge (Cat A) and Cat B cabins is less on the these ships. Due to the comparatively small difference in cost, we choose Concierge class cabins on R class ships. We find the following advantages worth it:

1.Ability to book specialty restaurants 15 days earlier

2.Ability to have earlier access to our cabin on embarkation day

2. With Concierge class cabins one can have a balcony located on Deck 7 which has cabins above and below, thus eliminating possibility of noise from public spaces on adjacent decks.

I am sure that you will find many frequent Oceania cruisers who will say that with later booking window they still have had little trouble getting specialty restaurants reservations at workable times, that 1.5 hour earlier access to their cabins is no big deal and that Oceania ships are relatively quiet so there is little noise from adjacent deck public spaces. Certainly differing opinions exist on the level of value.

I would add that on Insignia and other R class ships there is no Concierge lounge or other special facility. Only the two O class ships, Marina and Riviera have a concierge lounge. In most cases the difference in cost between Concierge (Cat A) and Cat B cabins is less on the these ships. Due to the comparatively small difference in cost, we choose Concierge class cabins on R class ships. We find the following advantages worth it:

1.Ability to book specialty restaurants 15 days earlier

2.Ability to have earlier access to our cabin on embarkation day

2. With Concierge class cabins one can have a balcony located on Deck 7 which has cabins above and below, thus eliminating possibility of noise from public spaces on adjacent decks.

I am sure that you will find many frequent Oceania cruisers who will say that with later booking window they still have had little trouble getting specialty restaurants reservations at workable times, that 1.5 hour earlier access to their cabins is no big deal and that Oceania ships are relatively quiet so there is little noise from adjacent deck public spaces. Certainly differing opinions exist on the level of value.

That's true, but you were giving your reasons why you book a Concierge class cabin and everything you say is very valid. I'm not familiar with Oceania and the technical differences between the balcony cabins so your answer was very informative to me.

All I know is that I prefer the bigger ships...Marina and her sisters. I find the Insignia and her sister's size (although I am booked on one) to be too small especially in inclement weather. Hope no one disputes my preferences :p :D

Only difference is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Concierge class on the R-ships is all about the extra amenities if they are not important to you book the B cat

JMO

Lyn

All I know is that I prefer the bigger ships...Marina and her sisters. I find the Insignia and her sister's size (although I am booked on one) to be too small especially in inclement weather. Hope no one disputes my preferences :p :D

Joyce the small ships handle the seas fine

we have been in some bumpy seas on the R-class ships & we were just fine ;)

Let's hope we do not have any on Marina

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I just came off the Nautica (sister ship). We were in a B1 cabin for the first part of the cruise and an A1 for the second part of the cruise. For the difference in money, we would have stayed in the B1 cabin the whole way, but since we were offered a deal, we thought we would try the A1. Cabin is identical in bathroom and room size. No difference in storage. Ride was smoother in rougher seas in B1. A1 got us two reservations at each specialty restaurant whereas the B1 got us only one reservation at each specialty restaurant. Considering that you are choosing from the same menu at the specialty restaurants each time you use them, there is more variety if you eat either at the Terrace or the GDR. We actually had better meals in the GDR than we did at the specialty restaurants. Now the one thing we noticed is that our room steward for the B1 cabin was excellent whereas our room steward for the A1 cabin was mediocre. He kept forgetting little things which do make a difference to your cruise. Small thing but after being spoiled for the first of the B2B cruises, it was disappointing. (and yes, we did speak to him about the things he forgot very nicely too.)

Since Oceania has currently ended their offering of Free Unlimited Internet for the new released cruises. One other benefit for Concierge and above is FREE internet (200 to 500 minutes) based on cabin class.

Joyce the small ships handle the seas fine

we have been in some bumpy seas on the R-class ships & we were just fine ;)

Let's hope we do not have any on Marina

Lyn

Yes, let's hope not! Although I'm not generally bothered by bumpy seas...I'm guessing that both my previous O cruises must have been in smooth waters.

I noticed on Insignia..that if folks couldn't sit out on the decks due to rainy weather..then everything inside was full...library seating was full, public spaces seating was full....there was no where to sit and chat. I'm not sure if one can sit in the buffet area outside of meal times. The only option was to go back to the cabin. I didn't think to go sit in a lounge, but again, not sure if one can do that either. But, I have more cruise experience now, and perhaps I wasn't looking for all alternatives. Here's hoping my next cruise on Insignia is a bright and sunny one...weather-wise.

Joyce :D

I noticed on Insignia..that if folks couldn't sit out on the decks due to rainy weather..then everything inside was full...library seating was full, public spaces seating was full....there was no where to sit and chat. I'm not sure if one can sit in the buffet area outside of meal times. The only option was to go back to the cabin. I didn't think to go sit in a lounge, but again, not sure if one can do that either. But, I have more cruise experience now, and perhaps I wasn't looking for all alternatives. Here's hoping my next cruise on Insignia is a bright and sunny one...weather-wise.

Joyce :D

We did the Norway cruise & there was no sitting outside some days ;)

They even closed off the dining outside the Terrace & brought the tables in for more seating

People did sit in the Terrace at off meal times it did not seem to be a problem

Horizons was also a good place to sit as well as deck 4 & 5 near the Grand staircase...even some nappers there :D

Lyn

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever stayed in one of the 4 front cabins which are just OV cabins? They are 6006, 6007, 7006, and 7007? These appear to be a bit larger than the other veranda and OV cabins for the OV price. I know they are in the front and the seas may be rougher.

We're taking that chance on our cruise from Barcelona to Dubai.

Jan

Has anyone ever stayed in one of the 4 front cabins which are just OV cabins? They are 6006, 6007, 7006, and 7007? These appear to be a bit larger than the other veranda and OV cabins for the OV price.

Jan

Have not stayed in them but you will have about the size of the balcony added to the cabin Approx 40 sq ft

Have not stayed in them but you will have about the size of the balcony added to the cabin Approx 40 sq ft

Thanks Lyn. I do realize that. And it looks like they are a little wider which would be great. 2 people can cross in front of the bed at the same time. May be worth it. Worried about roughness. Wonder how bad it gets as opposed to the middle or back of the ship.

Have you ever stayed in the front of the ship? This will our first time.

Thanks,

Jan

We've been in the front several times -- both on the "R" ships and MARINA. There have been rough rides and smooth rides.

My personal feeling (and I'm probably wrong but it's just my personal feeling) is that in really rough seas it doesn't matter much where you are. I am prone to seasickness in rough-ish seas, but husband should have been a sailor. He is NEVER bothered.

We are pretty far forward on MARINA right now but it's been pretty much a smooth sail all the way. We had a couple of hours when it seemed that it might be getting rough, but that faded.

We were on Regatta about 10 years ago when it was horribly rough going into Aruba.

There just aren't any guarantees and no can answer your question for SURE.

Mura

Have you ever stayed in the front of the ship? This will our first time.

Thanks,

Jan

I am usually in the aft quarter or deck 4 in C 1's

I do not like the forward cabins though I do not usually get seasick just being in Horizons sometimes when the seas are bumpy do not agree with my tummy ;)

I have been in 7007 several times and liked it..there is a little more movement but it did not bother us..watch the two cabins on deck 6 though..it can be noisy over the lounge..

Jancruz1

I have been in 7007 several times and liked it..there is a little more movement but it did not bother us..watch the two cabins on deck 6 though..it can be noisy over the lounge..

Jancruz1

Thank you Jancruz1. 7007 is the one I chose, so I'm glad for that. The ones on 6 have a door going to the suites which would be closed off, but I think it would look strange. This is exactly what I needed to know!!!

Edited by Cruiser Jane