Shorts in Pompeii

It's not the age, but the body type that determines what looks better on someone. I have yet to see a photo here where capris looked good on someone - they usually make someone looked chopped off. If they stop at the big calves, it makes the whole body look larger than it really is. The only time I've seen capris look nice is with a slender woman and the woman is wearing smart flats or platform sandals… JMHO.

I'm like Ducklite - knee-length shorts don't look good on me, nor do capris. Shorts a few inches above the knees look just right. I have toned legs (my co-workers have told me many times I have good legs), but athletic calves. Anything close to my calves make them look twice the size and take the attraction away from how slender the rest of my legs and hips are. And, I am 60 ;-)

I have long slender legs and even on me, capris make my legs look short and distorted--regardless of what footwear I'm in. The only time I've seen capris look good is when they are fitted and fall just below the knee on a women with perfect 10 legs and a slender figure.

I've read many of the capri discussions over the years, and I have a question particularly for casual settings.

Let me start by saying there is not ANY length of shorts that looks good on me. Skorts are even worse. And I'm not a dress or skirt person for dressing casually.

For me, I view capris as the lesser of these evils when I don't want to wear full-length pants (e.g., I'm doing something like walking along a beach -- but not swimming -- or I'm visiting an archaeological site where I'm clambering around over rough terrain).

I don't think they look terrible on me. I have several pairs in various colors that are not wide cut but not too narrow/clingy. Better than shorts or skorts or shorter skirts on me....maybe because I have proportionally long legs and am short-waisted.

Am I missing other alternatives?

I've read many of the capri discussions over the years, and I have a question particularly for casual settings.

Let me start by saying there is not ANY length of shorts that looks good on me. Skorts are even worse. And I'm not a dress or skirt person for dressing casually.

For me, I view capris as the lesser of these evils when I don't want to wear full-length pants (e.g., I'm doing something like walking along a beach -- but not swimming -- or I'm visiting an archaeological site where I'm clambering around over rough terrain).

I don't think they look terrible on me. I have several pairs in various colors that are not wide cut but not too narrow/clingy. Better than shorts or skorts or shorter skirts on me....maybe because I have proportionally long legs and am short-waisted.

Eileen Fishers ankle length pants would be a perfect solution for you. I know you are a fan of hers, and think you know the ones I mean.

Eileen Fishers ankle length pants would be a perfect solution for you. I know you are a fan of hers, and think you know the ones I mean.

ok, this is the year I'm going to try them.

I have to admit I'm a fan of her pants. I think I went a little crazy and bought 6 pairs within the last year. (Mainly because I found a style in black that is the perfect work pant for me, so I bought 3 pairs....)

Wear whatever you wish.

If you are inappropriate, a guard will choose whether to admit you or not.

If you think it looks good on you or you are more comfortable or plain just want to wear your shorts, go for it. Means nothing to me what you wear. :)

A question was asked. Some of us chose to answer. We just don't all agree. :)

Stay safe and enjoy your travels.

Edited by sail7seas

I doubt that.

I am in my mid-50's, but as I mentioned, I work out, so my legs (and the rest of me) remain thin and toned. I don't wear "short shorts" any longer, but I'm not about to start dressing like an old lady just because I'm a certain age.

I used to work out. I have diabetes. After getting frozen shoulders twice, even though I was careful to warm up and cool down, my doctor said I should walk only and I walked 45 minutes every day- until the last couple of years. I developed extreme fatigue and sometimes I just can't. I still usually manage to walk about 4 times a week though.

As far as my leg's shape. They are fine, although I do have a good bit of broken veins. I have also developed terrible eczema especially on my legs.

I eat 5 meals a day of between 200 and 300 calories. do the math, I never go over 1500 calories in a day,so I do take care of myself. As I have said many a time, I feel my having had diabetes for over 25 years has added 20 year to my real age. I may not have the wrinkles of an 80 year old yet, but I sure do have the issues.

I must be doing something right, I am not on insulin and my doctor tells me I am still a long way from that. He also says that is true because I take care of myself.

BTW, I thought you told me last year that you were in your mid to late 40's. How the heck did you make mid 50's in one year.

Edited by momofmeg

the woemn I think look bad in capris are women with big hips/behinds and small waists. Capris just make the back end look so much bigger. Thanks to age and a c-section when I was young I do not have that problem. Heck for the size of my behind I could wear a size 6 lol! if it was not for my midsection! I actually like that capris make me look like I have a butt.

I really did like my sundresses though, the simple cotton ones that had little flutter sleeves that were shifts. I can't wear the ones with a seam under the bust, as they make me look like a 60 year old pregnant woman.

As far as ankle pants, some of the easy rinse out cotton capris I had were ankle pants. they were "women with control" brand I got off QVC. I wore them with a longer tee. They are not appropriate for an office though,even dress down Fridays. They are too casual, appropriate for vacationing or shopping.

Nah, just reality. What's depressing is older women who do not realize how silly they look when they dress like a 30 year old.

Well I hope your reality holds off for a long time. I am 56, work out almost daily and wear a size 6 for the most part. I hate the vanity sizing because truly I am a size 8-10 from back in the seventies but that is another topic. It took me 5 years to lose 64 lbs and I am pretty happy with my shape these days. I can say I am probably in the best shape of my life. As to dressing like a thirty year old, i believe in looking in the mirror before leaving the house and my daughter will certainly not mince words if something doesn't look right.

I used to work out. I have diabetes. After getting frozen shoulders twice, even though I was careful to warm up and cool down, my doctor said I should walk only and I walked 45 minutes every day- until the last couple of years. I developed extreme fatigue and sometimes I just can't. I still usually manage to walk about 4 times a week though.

As far as my leg's shape. They are fine, although I do have a good bit of broken veins. I have also developed terrible eczema especially on my legs.

I eat 5 meals a day of between 200 and 300 calories. do the math, I never go over 1500 calories in a day,so I do take care of myself. As I have said many a time, I feel my having had diabetes for over 25 years has added 20 year to my real age. I may not have the wrinkles of an 80 year old yet, but I sure do have the issues.

I must be doing something right, I am not on insulin and my doctor tells me I am still a long way from that. He also says that is true because I take care of myself.

BTW, I thought you told me last year that you were in your mid to late 40's. How the heck did you make mid 50's in one year.

Either you are remembering something from a lot longer ago or you are thinking of someone else. I have never lied about my age. I have no reason to.

Nah, just reality. What's depressing is older women who do not realize how silly they look when they dress like a 30 year old.

I don't dress like I did when I was 30, but I also don't dress like an 80 year old. One of my best friends has no problem telling me when something isn't the best choice in color, style, or fit. Usually it's color. I love some colors that unfortunately don't love me back.

No kidding. My MIL (pushing 65) dresses as if she's 19. Really, folks, "Forever 21" is the name of a store. It's not a fact. ;)

No kidding. My MIL (pushing 65) dresses as if she's 19. Really, folks, "Forever 21" is the name of a store. It's not a fact. ;)

Oh wow. Yeah, I'd agree that most women over 30 should generally avoid that store. I bought a button down cardigan there a couple of years ago, but a cardigan is a cardigan and the style you wear at 15 will be the same as the style you wear at 90. Otherwise though...

I'm going to jump in here and admit I have bought a few things at Forever 21. I'm 63, and it's usually been tops, and no, they aren't crop, more like styles for over leggings or maxi skirts. I'm not quite sure how a 30 year old dresses, but I look a whole lot better in my clothes than I've seen some 30 year olds. Sorry, might be a little harsh, but I know what I can wear and what I can't. I know how to put things together and how to accessorize.

No, you won't see my in daisy dukes, mini skirts,crop tops, or anything to low cut, because, even, though I'm petite, I have a bit larger boobs. I just prefer that people talk to my face and not my chest.

I have a 30 and 33 year old daughter who would tell me if I looked skanky or frumpy. I always get compliments from strangers when I'm out and about, so I must be doing something right.

I'm going to jump in here and admit I have bought a few things at Forever 21. I'm 63, and it's usually been tops, and no, they aren't crop, more like styles for over leggings or maxi skirts. I'm not quite sure how a 30 year old dresses, but I look a whole lot better in my clothes than I've seen some 30 year olds. Sorry, might be a little harsh, but I know what I can wear and what I can't. I know how to put things together and how to accessorize.

No, you won't see my in daisy dukes, mini skirts,crop tops, or anything to low cut, because, even, though I'm petite, I have a bit larger boobs. I just prefer that people talk to my face and not my chest.

I have a 30 and 33 year old daughter who would tell me if I looked skanky or frumpy. I always get compliments from strangers when I'm out and about, so I must be doing something right.

Of course there are exceptions. I sometimes shop in the juniors department for casual tops and things like camisoles because they are a lot cheaper. I can't wear a dress from juniors (usually) because they are too short. (usually)

The day I see sign on a rack of clothes or the day some nut-job legislature signs a bill that tells me what I can or can't wear merely because of my age is the day I crawl into a hole and don't come out ;)

I'm into a serious hunt for a new pair of straight (NOT skinny) jeans. I lost more weight over the winter and all that I have just bag on me. NYDJ, Kut from the Kloth, Jjill and Chicos jeans are out - I don't have enough hip or butt to fill them out - even straight fits look like boyfriend fit on me :eek: I send for a pair from the Soft Surroundings catalog (known for it's "mature" style) - I could pull 2 inches from each thigh!!! Surprisingly, it's the Gap and Lucky jeans that are fitting best through my waist and hips so far in my hunt. But, some would have me believe that I shouldn't have even walked into those stores and "made do" with a more "mature" brand...

The day I see sign on a rack of clothes or the day some nut-job legislature signs a bill that tells me what I can or can't wear merely because of my age is the day I crawl into a hole and don't come out ;)

I'm into a serious hunt for a new pair of straight (NOT skinny) jeans. I lost more weight over the winter and all that I have just bag on me. NYDJ, Kut from the Kloth, Jjill and Chicos jeans are out - I don't have enough hip or butt to fill them out - even straight fits look like boyfriend fit on me :eek: I send for a pair from the Soft Surroundings catalog (known for it's "mature" style) - I could pull 2 inches from each thigh!!! Surprisingly, it's the Gap and Lucky jeans that are fitting best through my waist and hips so far in my hunt. But, some would have me believe that I shouldn't have even walked into those stores and "made do" with a more "mature" brand...

You go girl! I love your post and couldn't agree more. You need to find what fits and looks good, no matter the brand.

I finally found jeans that I love the fit. They fit around my non waist but don't bag in my butt. The trick is a bit of spandex in the material. Try " Not Your Daughters Jeans". I found them at Nordstrom. They are a little pricey, but I was willing to pay it for a good fit. I have a dark navy straight leg, and a lighter denim flare.

Love how this thread went from Shorts in Pompeii to a fashion thread..LOL

I finally found jeans that I love the fit. They fit around my non waist but don't bag in my butt. The trick is a bit of spandex in the material. Try " Not Your Daughters Jeans". I found them at Nordstrom. They are a little pricey, but I was willing to pay it for a good fit. I have a dark navy straight leg, and a lighter denim flare.

Love how this thread went from Shorts in Pompeii to a fashion thread..LOL

I did try the NYDJ jeans - not even close to fitting for me. Too much "hip" fabric plus they were baggy at the butt…

I'm not against paying up to $125, but only if the fit is on the money. More shopping to continue on my next day off. I have seen a few others on some catalog sites and I may send for them and see how they go. I heard the old classic Levi 502s are back - I'll have to see if I can find them to try on. I may also go to the local rural cowboy store to see what's shakin' there.

I really like Ann Taylor loft jeans, but I have a bit of a big behind, Kut from Kloth is a favorite of mine, & you said they don't work for you, so I'm not sure... but it's worth a try & they have several styles ( I have the super skinny, but they have a straight cut too) & for what it's worth the Not your daughters jeans definitely don't work on me either

Edited by cruise kitty

I think this is definitely why I don't really like wearing pants. It is so hard to find that perfect fit. Then I have a few colored jeans that I got at Old Navy and I always feel like I am constantly tugging them up. Probably why I prefer skirts or leggings. I feel most comfortable in those.

But, I definitely think I need to rethink some of my pants.